The online racing simulator
#1 - BAMBO
Why can't CTRA have oval licenses?
I posted this here because it seemed the most logicall place to put it. From what I have seen some oval racers would have wished that CTRA would have an oval license,it would have also made things easier for some oval leagues founders but because nobody asked , they never knew why.So why can't CTRA have oval licenses and oval servers.? Oval racing is racing? Not enough servers? Too much work?

PS: If you don't like it, then please don't post and don't flame me.
Not enough track(s).
Not enough suitable cars.
Not enough potential racers.
Not enough driving skill required.

IMO.
#3 - BAMBO
Quote from zeugnimod :Not enough track(s).
Not enough suitable cars.
Not enough potential racers.
Not enough driving skill required.

IMO.

1. We can change the oval in 100 setups
2. XRT,XFR, FXR, XRR, FZR,BF1, FO8 (pretty much any car can race on the oval)
3.Thrust me, we are enough
4.You never raced on the oval, have you?
Quote from BAMBO :1. We can change the oval in 100 setups

1. I don't get what you mean.
2. Yes, any car can race on the oval but would it make sense to do it?
3. I disagree.
4. Maybe 5 or 10 laps.
Quote from BAMBO :1. We can change the oval in 100 setups

1. Last time I counted it was 2: KY1 and KY1R
2. I spose
3. I spose
4. He doesn't mean it like that. He means that any old n00b could get to high licenses easily as long as they didn't crash
There is enough oval servers already imo...
Quote from BAMBO :2. XRT,XFR, FXR, XRR, FZR,BF1, FO8 (pretty much any car can race on the oval)

Any car can race there but we have no cars that are really suited to it. All the formulas/GTRs have too much downforce to make it interesting, and the rest are too slow. The car that gets closest to being actually interesting, but still failing, is the FZ50.

Quote from BAMBO :3.Thrust me, we are enough

Sad, but true.

Quote from BAMBO :4.You never raced on the oval, have you?

Well I have, and it's bloody boring. I accept this is partly because Kyoto Ring is itself not a great oval, and the issue in point 2.
Quote from JO53PHS :4. He doesn't mean it like that. He means that any old n00b could get to high licenses easily as long as they didn't crash

No, I did mean it exactly as BAMBO understood it.
Quote from zeugnimod :Not enough track(s).

Valid

Quote :Not enough suitable cars.

Valid

Quote :Not enough potential racers.

Quite possibly.

Quote :Not enough driving skill required.

I'm not touching that can of worms.

Also, the lack of rolling starts and a safety car is also a factor
1. There is only one track. Possibly 2 if you count reverse config, but keep in mind this prevents Americans from using the track.

2. Really only the GTRs and single seaters can be used. The oval is not for watching a 20-lap UF1 race.

3. There really isn't enough to use CTRA, FM and however many other "roundy" servers there are. Just isn't

4. You require the racing skills of a hollow brick to go around the oval. Literally, you could put a brick on the throttle and be fine. It's all in the setup.

I'd prefer to see another BnJ server, or another entry level race server, if another server was to be created...
Quote from zeugnimod :No, I did mean it exactly as BAMBO understood it.

Just don't listen to me... HMS Failboat FTW
oval is boringggg
Constant battles for positions means thrilling races with any car at leas from my point of view and with the help of some barriers we can ,technically speaking, give the oval any form we would like. And Bob that race of your's might have been boring, but imagine 25 experienced players on the oval and it's not all in the setup, your pure driving can win you around 0,40 seconds.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :
4. You require the racing skills of a hollow brick to go around the oval. Literally, you could put a brick on the throttle and be fine. It's all in the setup.

Yes, any old n00b can circle the oval all day long, but it requires skill to be fast on the oval. Go to Oval Junkies @ Bump hour, and then tell me the people setting 0.34s in FO8s have no skill.

Quote from dan12s :oval is boringggg

Have you ever raced on an Oval? It seems boring at first, but once you get half good at it, it really isn't.
Quote from BAMBO :3.Thrust me, we are enough

So if someone does thrust you another will take your place?
Quote from JO53PHS :Yes, any old n00b can circle the oval all day long, but it requires skill to be fast on the oval. Go to Oval Junkies @ Bump hour, and then tell me the people setting 0.34s in FO8s have no skill.

Have you ever raced on an Oval? It seems boring at first, but once you get half good at it, it really isn't.

Amen to that I mean oval racing must be one of the most thrilling type of racing, like I said before, constat battles for positions means pretty much exciting races.
#17 - SamH
CTRA doesn't do an oval licence because CTRA doesn't do ovals. Like.. at all. It's not our thing, and won't become our thing in the future.
It is boring IF you drive by yourself..

Only two points this far have been valid: Kyoto maybe isn't the persfect oval and the starts would be hell.

Let me explain, if there was a ctra oval server there would be a lot of inexperienced drivers solely because the server name reads ctra. It's safer and easier to stay at FM.
I like oval racing, but I see no point in a CTRA server for it.
Quote from JO53PHS :Have you ever raced on an Oval? It seems boring at first, but once you get half good at it, it really isn't.

yeah i have but not alot and cba to go back on one because i think it is boring but people have different oppinions
CTRA needs oval. like start with xrt then move up to gtrs then openwheelers and FOX on oval is GOOD racing very close battles.
Quote from mutt107 :CTRA needs oval. like start with xrt then move up to gtrs then openwheelers and FOX on oval is GOOD racing very close battles.

That's what I was thinking of
Back when we where making the X-System I recall several discussions on the topic of oval racing and several possibilities where discussed.

The concessus of the CTRA stewards was that they didn't want to admin the oval servers, so we talked about the possibility of joining forces with FM (not that it got as far as talking to FM) to have an X-System driven oval racing tier, probably of 2 servers.

The problems we then looked at where the nature of admin decisions on the FM oval servers, they used a live admin and sure that's not the CTRA way but as we looked at it we felt that oval racings big appeal in LFS - mostly due to the rather easy Kyoto track - is predominantly for new drivers. We felt that a CTRA licence, whilst open to newcomers to sim racing, is something that newcomers should aspire to not just be granted.

Oval racing does require skill, it requires a very different set of skills to circuit racing but good oval drivers are non-the-less very skilled. That's why when you look at something like the 360 league (now LFS Car) run by Fischfix the top drivers always finish at the top.

What changes in Kyoto Oval is that a bad driver can have a far greater impact on the race than at a regular circuit, and this tends to mean that a good pickup racing oval server has a live admin. The CTRA was founded on the principle that live adminning does not lead to the best stewarding decisions, I still believe that the stewarding system on the CTRA is second to none in any sim in the world right now (i've not tried iRacing and its automated system), and compromising that for the sake of oval racing did not seem like a positive move for the CTRA.

FM already run a suite of very sucessful and popular oval servers, there's no reason for the CTRA to impede on their turf. They do a good job of running racing on Kyoto oval, a track which lends itself to some appalling crashes. They manage this despite being the first port of call for many new drivers to LFS.

With regards the LFS community the only way that CTRA could effect oval racing is to offer somewhere else for those banned from FM servers to repeat their mistakes. I do not think this would be a positive thing.

I'll re-iterate that i'm no longer with the CTRA myself, so I think the strongest supporter of ovals in the organisation isnt there any more. I have to say though, even I felt that there was nothing to be gained from the CTRA supporting ovals at the time.

Yes I did just say that, though I am mostly a circuit racer.
-
(BAMBO) DELETED by BAMBO
i'Ve talked about this topic with becky already. we thought about how to "increase" the skill level.
one of the outcome was, the FZ5 with 200kg wheight on the back feels the most like a nascar but not speedwise.

i am up for an oval license, which could give me a big help in choosing drivers for oval races.

ok there are not enough tracks, but flat ovals on autocross (as i've made several layouts) offer almost the same skill levels you need on the big oval. which is: make a move only when you should make it, concentrate in close combat and keep a steady pace.

i am all up for it and if there is any help needed... just write.

there needs to be a ladder system so you can improve skills.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :

Completly dissagree on that point for some cars. For some it's true but take the XRT, put a brick on the throttle and try it. Take the LX's and try it aswell. It's not always as easy as it seems.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG