The online racing simulator
LFS will not open!!!
(25 posts, started )
#1 - th84
LFS will not open!!!
I havent played this game in quite a while. A couple of weeks ago I tried to open LFS and it just wont open. It acts like it wants to open, the screen goes black like it usually does, and then it just crashes before it opens all the way. I have tried a fresh download (or 4), I have ran adware and virus scans that came back fine. I have tried everything I know to try, but Im sure there is something else I can try as Im an idiot with this kind of stuff.

The only thing diffrent with my PC now compared to the last time I was able to open LFS is I now split my connection between the PC and the PS3 using one of those splitter thingys (:shrug. I even tried disconnecting it (going back to the old way) and that didnt work either.

I have searched the forum for similar problems without any luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: First thread ever!!
Do any of your other games work? If not, then it will most likely be a graphics card problem, probably a display driver. Try updating all your drivers for your card. If that still does'nt work, then uninstall them completely and go back to the ones that were installed when you first put in your card.

Also, put up your specs. We could probably get a little more info from them.
#3 - th84
Every other game works fine.

I havent changed anything with the pc. It is the same as when dell shipped it to me. Im not real sure of the specs, as I said, Im an idiot with this stuff. Ill try to get them and post them asap.
Start>Run>dxdiag>enter>Save All info and attach DxDiag.txt to ur post
#5 - th84
Quote from Shadowww :Start>Run>dxdiag>enter>Save All info and attach DxDiag.txt to ur post

Thanks. I will do that once I get home.
Have you also tried a fresh install (not only download, installed in a different directory), to see if any of the old settings causes that problem? Try renaming the LFS.exe to make sure no forced gfx settings mess with LFS.
#7 - th84
Quote from AndroidXP :Have you also tried a fresh install (not only download, installed in a different directory), to see if any of the old settings causes that problem? Try renaming the LFS.exe to make sure no forced gfx settings mess with LFS.

I have tried installing it in several diffrent places, each one with the same result. I will try renamimg exe....but where do I find that?
It's directly located in the LFS directory. Like C:\Games\LFS\LFS.exe. Rename it to something like LFS_test.exe and see if it changes anything. In case you don't see the file extensions (if there is no .exe), then just rename it to LFS_test.
#9 - th84
OK, I will try that when I get home as well. Thanks!
Quote from th84 :I have tried installing it in several diffrent places, each one with the same result. I will try renamimg exe....but where do I find that?

Have DOWNLOADED it from more than one place? It of course wouldn't work if the zip is compromised in the first place...
#11 - th84
I download it from the same place each time. Only one place.
#12 - th84
Quote from LFSn00b :if you have any d3d8 or 9 files in the LFS folder, delete them.

I thank you for your help, but you are speaking french to me.
Do you have any insim mods running on lfs? if yes, delete the dll's/mod files.

E: but meh, he tried to reinstall lfs a few times.
#14 - th84
I dont run any mods at all.

Escuse my idiotness, but I still cant find the above mentioned lfs.exe. EDIT: Im such a moron.
-
(th84) DELETED by th84
#15 - th84
Quote from AndroidXP :It's directly located in the LFS directory. Like C:\Games\LFS\LFS.exe. Rename it to something like LFS_test.exe and see if it changes anything. In case you don't see the file extensions (if there is no .exe), then just rename it to LFS_test.

This worked! Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Well, it worked for a second. LFS will open now, but before I can join a server it crashes and it says that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. Grrr.

Here are the specs.
Attached files
DxDiag.txt - 35.3 KB - 189 views
#16 - th84
It seems to be working ok now. I have to rename the exe everytime I try to open it. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

I also downloaded the latest driver for my card. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it working now.
You are experiencing kind of weird issue. I know you have already done this, but downloading LFS again from another location that the one you've been using till now is worth a try.
Which tool did you use to perform an anti-malware scan? Maybe it didn't do it properly. What can help us is a screenshot of windows TaskManager. (Start>Run>taskmgr). Maximize the window, select Processes tab and press PrintScreen. Than open some drawing app like mspaint, press CTRL+C and upload the image somewhere. There might be some background process running on your PC which is causing this odd behavior.
#18 - th84
Thanks, I will give this a shot when I get home.
although its ctrl+v
#20 - th84
This game is still not working (most of the time). I have tried almost everything stated above.

I have to rename the exe everytime before I start it, and if it doesnt crash while the server list is being downloaded (or whatever) it does ok as far as I can tell. Usually it crashes before I can join a server and 7 out of 10 times it crashes while the server info is being loaded (after I have selected a server), the other 3 times is when I try to shift+f4. Sometimes I even have to unlock S2 again after a crash.

Its getting rather...annoying. Ive been having a itch to race a bit lately after a nice break.

Quote from MadCatX :What can help us is a screenshot of windows TaskManager. .

This is the only thing I havent tried. I dont now what the majority of this stuff is.
Attached images
untitled.JPG
#21 - th84
Anyone? (bump)
0MG.
Heres mine:

Compare, plz.

Mine is good.
#23 - th84
I guess the OMG bit meant it was bad?

So I should make mine the same as yours? Wont it just do the same thing on every restart?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: After this latest auto-download of patch z, the game wont open at all. I give up.
Your LFS haz AIDS lolz.

Sorry, no idea what the hell is wrong.
#25 - th84
Smartass.

LFS will not open!!!
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG