The online racing simulator
onscreen force feedback VS the wheel
Hi,

I want to start of by saying that I'm not another random bloke making a thread that has been done a thousand times. I've searched around and haven't found anything similar in the forums, I'm sorry if there's a thread, you could do me a favour by handing me the link.

I was thinking about this for a few days, and I decided to ask for a few more opinions here.

My findings are that the onscreen movements of the wheel aren't translated into the force feedback of the 'real life' wheel. Especially when taking a high speed fast 'bumpy' corner, the onscreen wheels wiggles about because of the forces on the car/tyres, but I don't feel this in my wheel (Racing Force).

Is this because I'm using faulty force feedback settings, or is it like that at all setups/configurations?
I also can't feel all the rumble strips, I feel some when I get lucky, should I feel them all?

So, I would like to know how other users experience the 'wheel wiggle' when racing.

Greetings.
#2 - Jakg
I'd imagine it would be due to the limits of the FFB system (i.e. only turning left or right and guessing an attempt at resistance) and a poor wheel...
I suspose it could be down to the car and wheel too. I drive with a G25, and if i drive a UFR over rumble strips, i feel them alot and my wheels shakes. Yet if i do the exact same thing in something like a FXO, then i dont feel them that much.
#4 - Jakg
...or it could be because the UFR and FXO are totally different cars - hard & soft, light & heavy etc...
i feel a bit rumble when I run over speed bumps but i dont use ffb mostly cuz its hard to setup to my needs.
I had your exact same problem when I had the DFP. The forcefeed back was very minimal over terrain, but was halfway decent in the corners. Ever since switching over to the G25, I've noticed an absolute world of difference (using the settings from the wiki). Response is much faster and more accurate so yes, I believe it's probably just a hardware issue
Chi
do you have the link to the g25 wiki? would like to take a peek at the settings.
Correctly setting up a Logitech Wheel

Screenshot of a properly configured Logitech G25 wheel, using specific game profile made for LFS. (If you have Logitech MOMO, nevermind the "degrees of rotation" setting).

Open up your Logitech Profiler and then the FFB (Force Feedback) settings window: either "Options" - "Global Device Settings" or if you are using game profiles "Edit" - "Specific Game Settings". Suggested settings are these (also shown in the screenshot):
  • Overall Effects Strength - Set to 101-105% (101% is good value). Due to problems inside the Logitech Profiler the FFB only starts to act linearly when set over 100%. You can always fine tune the level of FFB in LFS's Options > Controls or you can adjust it "on the fly" while driving with the FFB (Force Feedback) shortcut keys.
  • Spring Effect Strength - Set to 0%. It is Logitech driver based effect and practically LFS does not need this (confirmed by the game developer).
  • Damper Effect Strength - Set to 0%. It is Logitech driver based effect and practically LFS does not need this (confirmed by the game developer).
  • Enable Centering Spring / Centering Spring Strength - Uncheck the box (disable it) and set it to 0%.
  • Report Combined Pedals - Uncheck this option. Enabling this only gives you one pedal axis, meaning you can't use brake and throttle pedals properly. So disable it.
These settings should work on all Logitech wheels. The settings in the Logitech Profiler might slightly differ from these instructions depending on your wheel model.

this came from here http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Wheels
thanks for the info, appreciate it
ack, didn't notice your question, sorry about that. But anyways did it help?
Nice to know the wheel acts more liniair just above 100% and damper/spring are not needed at all. Did not know that. Not that i dislike it with everything on default 100%, is seems perfectly fine and i also feel the rumblestrips. (I use ingame force between 20/50%)
But with my older logitech Formula Force (the first logitech FF wheel ever) the linear motor was not responsive enough to really feel the rumblestrips. Also slack (which most cheaper FF wheels have) on the internal gears can reduce the effect.
faulty ffb is what i think. My g25 is set to 15 when Racing (so it doesnt spin me out on crashes) and i feel every bump every curb.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG