The online racing simulator
F1 season kicks off this weekend
(72 posts, started )
One nice little comment later and yet again I'm ripped to shreds. But yes, the goal is in the distant future to have physics, forces, 3D objects and inputs. If that happens to lead to a sausage eating simulation or a car sim I don't know, but I doubt it. It's VERY early days so far, and I'm just coming to terms with object orientated programming at it's most basic. If you're after release dates, I'd estimate 10 to 15 years from now

Edit: NOS is laughing gas, and the consumption of it via sausages could lead to effects we'd best not discuss.
Will I be able to put NOS in my sausage?
This year Shumachers leavin'. If he wins it'll be his highlight and leave. If he loses he'll know he can't do it. I was at indy the year before the michelin problem and it was great. I had a seat behind the first turn and could see the entire front strech(where crashs happen).
Quote from tristancliffe :Guess what - I'm in a minority. Again!

I love F1. I think the races are extremely exciting, not becuase of the racing (there admittedly isn't much passing), but the scope of the sport. All the technowizardry, the tactics, the speed, the power, the people - it adds up to be an amazing spectacle for me. I'm in awe watching these drivers (apart from the girly ones) do things to car we'll never dream of being able to do.

I know it's fashionable to hate F1, and I know that most people think that you have to have passing to have a good race. Sure, edge of the seat stuff is BRILLIANT, but there's enough going on to get me exciting every time.

I've never fallen asleep watching F1 (except when I went to Spa '98 - they took ages to clear the track after Crazy Dave took everyone out), and I always get up early to watch the fly away races. Rarely am I disappointed.

So yeah, looking forward to it. The technical changes will create a huge amount of new stuff as the teams come up wth different techniques of overcoming shortcomings. Qualifying might be weird, but I'm reserving judgment until it's happened a couple of times.

Can't wait.

Oh, and for the record, I don't enjoy BTCC at all, or A1GP much.

Do you know what, I absolutely agree with you. F1 is at the edge of technology, and I love it when Ferrari pull something out of the bag that no-one else thought of and pinches it at the post! Didn't happen much last year, but maybe this year...

As for A1GP, I don't have Sky so I can't watch it, but it doesn't make me want to watch it...wierd I know, but true.

Tim
F1 is great from the technology point of view and the build up, but IMO the races are a abit boring, i will still watch them but i find that just watching the cars go round and rond and round is bit boring. Wheres BTCC (or the euro touring cars) build up a bit lame where the racing is great.

I no its different but if they could have the F1 build up with btcc racing then would b perfect lol.

As for A1 GP sounds like its good from all ive heard but i dont got sky
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
The thing with F1 is that watching the cars go round on their own is just staggering. F1 cars really make the A1GP cars look like clumsy, overweight tractors.

We'd all like some more overtaking, but please, not at the cost of what is surely one of the most breathtaking spectacles of this era of motorsport, and of this age of technology.

Besides all of that, GP2 was far more impressive last year than A1GP has been.
Oh, and BTCC is certainly good for a laugh, I'll be at Oulton Park this year, ready to duck flying bodywork as the drivers "get down to business".
I can't wait for the F1 season to kick off Hoping to go to Silverstone this year. Haven't been to a GP since I was 4/5 back in 92.

I used to watch BTCC but I've grown away from it, don't like the ramming side of racing. Thats what I enjoy about F1 is the amazing skills required and when a driver pulls off a stunning overtaking move i.e Kimi on Fisi at Suzuka 2006 last lap, last chance

Keiran
As you say, watching F1 cars going through Eau Rouge or Beckets in real life is just shocking and one of the best things ever!! Don't knock A1 until you've tried it though, it's a different thing entirely, as someone said, the cars look heavy and slow compared to F1 but watching them going sideways round Paddock Hill is very very cool and have you heard the noise they make on overrun????? It's only bettered by the Ferarri TC .I love em both but for different reasons..
You're all watching racing with vehicles that have way too many wheels. Motorcycle racing is where all the good racing is, and at least in MotoGP, you have a ton of big names from around the world. Watching a string of bikes run through an esses section (think Foggy Esses at Donington) is a sight to behold. It's just so fluid.

I recommend the documentary, Faster, as an introduction to the world of MotoGP.
Bikes are fun to watch, and the competition is often closer than in F1. Yet, there's that something in F1 that keeps me craving for the next race while being indifferent about MotoGP.
Quote from sinbad :The thing with F1 is that watching the cars go round on their own is just staggering.

I think that's the most boring part. Modern F1 cars just look like they're attached to the track with a super-glue.

Quote from keiran :
...pulls off a stunning overtaking move i.e Kimi on Fisi at Suzuka 2006 last lap, last chance

2006?
#37 - JJ72
Please those who say modern F1 are glued to the track just go watch some so-mo shots of recent F1s. They DO slide and they DO react to bumps and stuff it's just that most of the today's track are too smooth compare to the old days, that it became very minimal visually, but in F1 the cars are being pushed right to the edge almost every single corner every single lap, there's a tension of extreme forces in every twist and turn, that is something you can't find in BTCC where driver has to spend most of their time dodging with each other instead of running the perfect ideal lap.
#38 - shim
Quote from thisnameistaken :The switch to V8s on the face of it seems like a pointless step backwards.

this is something i agree with heaps.. with open wheel'ed racing, its nearly always clean passing, while with V8's and other tourers its who can bash the other guy the hardest without ruining his car..

2 years ago i was watching a race with the aussie V8's and i saw 2 guys ramming eachothers doors off multiple times down one straight.. they hit each other like 8 times within 15 seconds on this straight.. this is why i dont watch closed wheel racing..
I enjoy a little bit of door slamming, bit more entertaining .

(flame suit on)

F1 is boring, but there is something worse............. NASCAR.................

Dan,
Quote from sinbad :Oh, and BTCC is certainly good for a laugh, I'll be at Oulton Park this year, ready to duck flying bodywork as the drivers "get down to business".

Totally agree with you there Sinbad. Nothing like closing the door, while a drivers nose is in it, and the Clio Cup, is just Destruction Derby with Nippy Clios

Wanna come down to Snetty Sin. Russell's Bend and the Esses are always good for some Laugh's
I don't understand how anyone can say F1 is boring at the moment. I'm so excited about the start of the season its not true!

So much has happened over the winter. Anyone who thinks its boring at the moment simply cannot be aware of all the stuff that has been going on.
Regardless of whats been going on, its still as dull as ditchwater to watch

Dan,
Alonso overtaking webber on the grass on the start finish straight at sepang is boring. Alonso holding off Michael Schumacher for 3 laps in a slower car - zzzz. Michelin pulling out of the US GP - yawn. Takuma Sato hitting everything in sight is boring especially when Trulli moans about it live on ITV. Last years malaysian GP was boring. JP brake testing people at Monaco, tyre blow outs, massive accidents - I could go on.

And this year we've got the added benefit of better qualifying, nico rosberg, Super Aguri, Red Bull 2, jenson vs rubens, fisi vs alonso, webber vs rosberg.
Quote from southamptonfc :... As someone said, the cars look heavy and slow compared to F1 but watching them going sideways round Paddock Hill is very very cool ...

That is a brilliant sight, expecially in the rain :P
Quote from deggis :
2006?

WHAT !!! This isn't the year 2007??

Keiran
Quote from keiran :WHAT !!! This isn't the year 2007??

Keiran

Looks like time travel gets invented/discovered next year.
#47 - mr_x
Quote from Forbin :Looks like time travel gets invented/discovered next year.

either that or Scotland is a year ahead of everyone else
Quote from danowat :F1 is boring, but there is something worse............. NASCAR.................

Now, now, Dan, there's no need for that! NASCAR has some of the finest crashes I've ever seen!
#49 - axus
Well, there are certainly quite a few potential challengers for the title - McLaren, Ferrari, Renault and Honda... plus the company I support has just gotten their own works team so I shall be giving it a chance If its rubbish I won't bother with it though...
Quote from tristancliffe :Guess what - I'm in a minority. Again!

well, youre not alone.

Can't wait til I see the McLaren on sunday

F1 season kicks off this weekend
(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG