The online racing simulator
F1 season kicks off this weekend
(72 posts, started )
#1 - shim
Maybe I am in the minority, but I find F1 yawn-some in the extreme , would rather watch paint dry I think

Dan,
I donno, f1 has been pretty crap last 2 years...will give this year a chace by watching the first race..if it brings out some excitemet in me then i might watch it but as usual it will be the best car that wins not necesarily the driver....

mad
#4 - mr_x
Quote from danowat :Maybe I am in the minority, but I find F1 yawn-some in the extreme , would rather watch paint dry I think

Dan,

i must also be in that minority then! ive watched 2 or 3 races in the last 5 years and got bored of all of them within 3 laps.... BTCC any day for pure racing action for me
last year was pretty good. you guys must have missed it.illepall

i'm really looking forward to this season with all its new rules

speedfreak227
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I might watch a few races. I think those F1 ads we see in the UK where the driver has to get out, be spun around a few times and get back in the car is defiantely the way to go though
#7 - t1ger
We went down to the British GP last year. It was really good. I went down Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday and Saturday were the best, Sunday was very strange indeed. We sat in the stands at the end of the Hanger straight - and I am not joking the noise was deafening (albiet beautiful at the same time). However, after about 6 laps I was configused and did not know in what order people actually were. If you know the helmets (which I didn't) it is possible, but otherwise its impossible to tell whos is where. We couldn't hear the loud speakers and the big, sorry huge screens were just too far away to read the text at the bottom.

My advice, if you do go, sit very near to a screen or take binoculars or have a radio and earphones with you as the commentary is broadcast on a local frequency.

Other than that, it was the best birthday present I have ever had! Especially as we were actually flown down in a small Cessna plane on the Sunday - cut out loads of waiting in traffic!

Tim
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well, it will be interesting to see what happens. I usually like the first 2 or 3 laps, then switch over.

Personally, I prefer the A1GP but only Sky viewers can watch this and also BTCC to start soon Also. Now looking forward to that one.
Yep, I'll be at Snettie again this year 13th August

Dan,
I watched few days ago some history documentaries from 60 and 70's formulas and my short conclusion is this:

Excitement 100:

Excitement 0:
Wow to picture 1. Just wow. Is that Flugplatz? They were definitely the days for spectators getting their money's worth, but on the other hand I think I'd feel guilty watching a racing series where 20% of the grid didn't survive the season.
I'm looking forward to this F1 season. I hope the Honda will be good to see what Button is made of (have £25 bet on him).

Even though the races can lack overtaking and seem boring to some, I find it impossible to resist watching the best drivers in the best track cars/formulae.
Quote from jtr99 :Wow to picture 1. Just wow. Is that Flugplatz? They were definitely the days for spectators getting their money's worth, but on the other hand I think I'd feel guilty watching a racing series where 20% of the grid didn't survive the season.

Yeah, driver (and spectator) safety was a joke in that legendary era.

In motorsports the cars have always been technically top-notch but the driver skill matters less and less every decade. F1 are so technically advanced today that it's so damn boring to watch those driving all over the track even if there was lots of passing and action (which I doubt). Even rally (WRC) is kind of boring to watch because driving sideways isn't the keyword anymore. Technical progress is kind of ruining motorsport from the spectator view.
If you think F1 is stupid... too bad...
If you think A1GP is stupid... HAHAHA stupid people :P
#15 - Vain
I find a 500km nurbi race with (former) street cars much better than a whole season of F1...

Vain
#16 - mr_x
Quote from Vain :I find a 500km nurbi race with (former) street cars much better than a whole season of F1...

Vain

thats like i find 1 BTCC race to have 10 times more action/excitement in than an F1 race now i think its time to hide from the F1 fans
F1 takes the cake for being the most boring motorsport I know of. I rather spend my time watching WRC and Snooker than wasting one hour of my life to F1 :sleep1:
Guess what - I'm in a minority. Again!

I love F1. I think the races are extremely exciting, not becuase of the racing (there admittedly isn't much passing), but the scope of the sport. All the technowizardry, the tactics, the speed, the power, the people - it adds up to be an amazing spectacle for me. I'm in awe watching these drivers (apart from the girly ones) do things to car we'll never dream of being able to do.

I know it's fashionable to hate F1, and I know that most people think that you have to have passing to have a good race. Sure, edge of the seat stuff is BRILLIANT, but there's enough going on to get me exciting every time.

I've never fallen asleep watching F1 (except when I went to Spa '98 - they took ages to clear the track after Crazy Dave took everyone out), and I always get up early to watch the fly away races. Rarely am I disappointed.

So yeah, looking forward to it. The technical changes will create a huge amount of new stuff as the teams come up wth different techniques of overcoming shortcomings. Qualifying might be weird, but I'm reserving judgment until it's happened a couple of times.

Can't wait.

Oh, and for the record, I don't enjoy BTCC at all, or A1GP much.
Quote from mr_x :thats like i find 1 BTCC race to have 10 times more action/excitement in than an F1 race now i think its time to hide from the F1 fans

It's unfair to compare them really, F1 (or any open wheel series) has never been about wheel banging side by side racing and trading paint, it's always been the buildup to great overtakes or the trading of insanely fast lap times between the leaders that has kept people enthralled for decades.

F1 is a totally different discipline to touring cars, so it's no surprise you probably don't like it all that much.

I suppose the variety on offer is one of the things that makes motorsport so great.
@tristan
Never fallen asleep during a race either. Usually I'm quick enough to switch to a different channel

Btw, what programming language do you want to learn/start with (@sig)?
C++

Perhaps this is a PM/MSN conversation
#22 - Vain
Good boy. C++ is actually worth the time invested.

(Okay okay, there are a lot of ways in C++ to shoot yourself into your own foot, but I'm glad I'm at least able to do so! )

Back to topic: F1 is boring!

Vain
So we can expect Tristan Super Sim in 10 years?

Sausage eating simulation 2.0
#25 - JJ72
I love F1, it's exciting to watch what happens off the track translate on the track, you know it's reality TV in itself.

(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG