The online racing simulator
Hotlap did not pass HLVC check
(99 posts, closed, started )
I do agree with Ian, I didn't think we'd be in this position 3 years (more than 3 years I know) now into the games development, especially with bugs that have always been there.

I do love LFS but when patches come out I find myself thinking, why has this been added or why hasn't this issue been addressed. At times I feel like the real issues are just being by passed and other features added that weren't really wanted or needed at the current time.

I have faith in the devs, it's just taking longer than I thought.
I personally don't see what the problem is - if you're not happy with it, don't use it.

Updates, then.
Imagine, for example, the game didn't have English text. Would you even be able to log in, let alone know what settings you were messing with? So the global language support is really important. This may be a shock, but not everyone speaks English.

Development is slow, yes. But you can't ignore that these are just a couple of normal guys who happen to have gotten lucky. You bought an ALPHA stage product. If development stopped tomorrow you would have nothing to complain about. Plenty of people watch alpha MMOs turn into vaporware in front of them after a couple of years - you should think yourself lucky the developers have the ability to keep LFS going at all.

You need to get the foundations built before you can put the walls in. Adding language support now means less work in the future. I guess it's the same in terms of mechanics - the clutch determines whether the car moves or not, so the basic model that's in now can be expanded in the future.

Go do something else for a while. It takes full software houses a few years to make a new game and a couple for a sequel. Now remove 95% of that software house and get them to do the same thing. Will it take 95% longer? Maybe. But it doesn't matter as long as something is still happening.
Quote from Byku :Ok... bringing up the kids is kinda stereotypical(sorry for mistakes ). I partly agree with big indicators of gears... it is stupid... but also helpful for people without wheels. Would You rather like to have floating, unrealistic gear indicator?

I don't think it makes much difference with or without a wheel (G25 etc excluded). My DFP only has a sequential lever.. ie: it's always in the central position when not being moved... yet I can play a game without needing a gear indicator (I stripped all that crap out when I converted the XRT to rF.. never had a problem of being in the wrong gear etc, that's what the sound engine is for ).

No gear indicator would be the way to go, except in cars that warrant it (GTR perhaps etc as part of a more combined AIM-like display.. and certainly not embedded within a friggin wood-trimmed dashboard! hahahahah).

Quote :I disagree with F9-F12, personally i dont use them when racing just when testing setups... well... at least tyre temp graphs :P. About the rest of them... I believe they are there for testing... and they might be fixed in the future.

You can feel when the tyres are screwed.. you start sliding about. How many real cars do you think have tyre temp sensors? I'm sure, there are some (the likes of F1 maybe?) but they're probably very few n far between.

Testing items like that should be used in internal versions, not released versions. Heck, a simple if() statement wrapped around the code sections could sort that out (much like the engine sound editor used to be). I don't leave loads of debugging things in tools I code even if in beta state.. they'd be for my use.

Quote :About car stalling... true, true... there should be an option to disable that :P.

No.. no option! Why is this the first line that everyone claims? Why an option for something that simply isn't optional (or shouldn't be). No other car game I own stalls after n secs. Just because LFS core is now in the dark ages in comparison to the rest of the car sim market, doesn't mean cheap hacks such as that should be permitted and worse, accepted.

Quote :About progress. What I "like" about slow progress is the fact that LFS at least is "alive". Of course I would like bigger updates(like those which You mentioned).

Can't say there's anything I like about the all-but-non-existent progress. I do appreciate coding takes time.. but now it's just taking the piss.

Quote :Kids... Ok, You've got kids... and You are working... but are You alone in the company You are working in? Scawen is almost alone there in the programming stuff of LFS.

Now, I work for a small Inet company.. started 6 months ago. For the previous 6 years, I ran my own business (just me, no one else) of web design and web hosting.. that included coding, server maintenance, accounts, tech support, client requests, etc etc.

Quote :Yeah... I know he could "hire" more people... and yes... I agree with that... progress certainly would be faster. And people who are saying that it would create conflicts inside dev team... hell... Scawen would be the boss, he would decide :P.

I do actually understand Scawen's view on this.. I much prefer working on my own projects solo, but alas, when you're in the market of producing something for the masses, that isn't always an option. To me, the devs (and unfortunately, many of the community) seem to think LFS is a hobby and that we're 'lucky' to be able to participate in the experience. Bollox! LFS is the equivalent of GT5(P) for the playstation. It's a commercial title released as a demonstration of what's to come. Unfortunately, by the time LFS catches up, cars and wheels will be a thing of the past... we'll all be racing Back to the Future style hover boards.. and then the wait will start yet again.

LFS _does_ need more development power (especially in the modelling dept) but are too stubborn to accept this as reality.. which then pretty much says 'fsck you, you'll get it when I'm damn well good and ready' to the community, IMO.

Regards,

Ian
Wow Ian doesnt it get boring for you? I fully understand your point and I agree to an extent, but it seems to me EVERY post of yours has a pun towards the LFS dev team.

Regards,

I am (tired of reading repeating posts).
Quote from Dizzydarryn :Hi guys,

I uploaded a hot lap last night, and got this email this morning...

" you have recently uploaded a hotlap at www.lfsworld.net, driven at SO6 with the XFG.

Unfortunately our additional hotlap checker did not validate your hotlap. As such, it has been removed from the LFS World hotlap charts.

The reason for the invalidity was: your hotlap did not pass the current HLVC check."

Not sure if anyone has received this before. As far as i remember, the lap was valid while i was driving it, and hence my ability to upload it...

Can anyone shed any light, so that the same thing doesnt happen again?

Thanks

Just so this topic isn't going for TOTALLY OFFTOPIC.. for the actual question, answer is.. In Y17 or Y18 (can't remember which one was it) scawen fixed soft wall issue what some hotlappers were using to get faster. Like braking with hitting walls. So now there's much more better HLVC-checking now + LFSW has checking also so it's like double checking that everything is fine Get latest test patch (Y22) from test patch forum and you will be fine + you get few new features also, check here

What comes to this OT whining... can't you guys make the 524542135th thread about slow development instead of hijacking any thread there is :P
It is slow and we have gone through this maybe 542543 times already, but whining more about it doesn't change a thing.. except making our community look even more retard what it's already is :leb:
further offtopic
I always thought the major changes to physics engine were planned between S1/S2 and S2/S3, so as the S2 is getting closer to final release, it should be looking the progress on physics is very low and development is slow.
I'm taking the last patches as "polishing" of S2 before final release, and before Scawen will move onto S3, where the most of the major changes will be implemented early followed by many dull years of another stage of just-polishing.

Either I'm wrong and the development is really going off the track, or I will be proven right within next 3-35 years.
Quote from Ian.H :
Yeah? If you think adding foreign languages is progress, when the likes of aerodynamics, engine modelling, turbo modelling are nothing but bad jokes, then good for you, you must be easily pleased.

This statement of yours is a perfect example of how you're judging the situation while actually knowing...jack shit. Do you think the devs revealing everything? Every step of development or progression? I really doubt that. Do you actually have any idea about what it takes to make a sim like this? Getting it as realistic as possible while at the same time dealing with the exponential growning demand for all the details? I dont know all the stuff as well but if im just looking into all those technically based threads where stuff is beeing discussed over pages or simple play the game im able to get and idea about it. Failing to see that and ignoring the effort behind it is just disrespectful and arrogant.

For me it became clear a long time ago that LFS is going its path the way the developers think it should be (hint: SRT interview with Victor). If adding features and fixing hundreds of bugs to make this product more stable and more useable for further development has a higher priority then adding content en mass then so be it. I dont mind how long it takes since i know that this concept or approach is different and the team consists only out of three people (leaving the community out of the equation but if you have a look at the exit screen you'll get an idea about who is involved as well). I dont mind about the content either, something is on its way, sooner or later, i guess. If you are unable to hold your horses then this is certainly the wrong game for you and you're free to play something else and dont worry about your money thus im sure has been payed off by now.

Also, comparing this team with a usual buisness is bare nonesense. Of course they need money for a living but if it would be only for that then we wouldn't have to have such a discussion. Instead people would moan about a product, which maybe had tons of content and most of the stuff that people demand would be available rather quickly but im sure that there would be a huge lack of quality.

Anyway, i have my doubts that you're actually understanding what im talking about or even willing to do so and im sick of the smattering by people like you, regardless of the actual topic.
Quote from 510N3D :This statement of yours is a perfect example of how you're judging the situation while actually knowing...jack shit. Do you think the devs revealing everything? Every step of development or progression? I really doubt that. Do you actually have any idea about what it takes to make a sim like this? Getting it as realistic as possible while at the same time dealing with the exponential growning demand for all the details? I dont know all the stuff as well but if im just looking into all those technically based threads where stuff is beeing discussed over pages or simple play the game im able to get and idea about it. Failing to see that and ignoring the effort behind it is just disrespectful and arrogant.

For me it became clear a long time ago that LFS is going its path the way the developers think it should be (hint: SRT interview with Victor). If adding features and fixing hundreds of bugs to make this product more stable and more useable for further development has a higher priority then adding content en mass then so be it. I dont mind how long it takes since i know that this concept or approach is different and the team consists only out of three people (leaving the community out of the equation but if you have a look at the exit screen you'll get an idea about who is involved as well). I dont mind about the content either, something is on its way, sooner or later, i guess. If you are unable to hold your horses then this is certainly the wrong game for you and you're free to play something else and dont worry about your money thus im sure has been payed off by now.

Also, comparing this team with a usual buisness is bare nonesense. Of course they need money for a living but if it would be only for that then we wouldn't have to have such a discussion. Instead people would moan about a product, which maybe had tons of content and most of the stuff that people demand would be available rather quickly but im sure that there would be a huge lack of quality.

Anyway, i have my doubts that you're actually understanding what im talking about or even willing to do so and im sick of the smattering by people like you, regardless of the actual topic.

Good post.
If LFS is too slow for you, then play/do something else until content/features are added that you enjoy. We all knew the development style when we signed up - the aim is the final result, not the speed at which it's reached.
When I was speaking about the wrong direction, I meant adding loads of new language packs that the minority's will use and mainly just adding new stuff. Rather than going back and fixing the massive issues with LFS that mean that its not a simulator.

For example:

-Flying when you hit a red barrier
-Flying when you hit walls at a wrong angle
-Flying when you exit the pits at the wrong angle
-Clutch heating too fast
Quote from tristancliffe :Good post.
If LFS is too slow for you, then play/do something else until content/features are added that you enjoy. We all knew the development style when we signed up - the aim is the final result, not the speed at which it's reached.

Actually, development was quite a bit faster before Scawen had kids. Now, it's like he's bored with the "hardcore stuff" and just fscking about with the fluff if / when anything is actually happening.

All in all now, I've actually come to the point of regretting paying for the licenses I have and supporting what is obviously a dead horse.

Once bitten...................... at least I'll know _never_ to pay for a WIP software title ever again.. so I guess LFS taught me one thing.

But we all know you're a fanboi anyway.. so your post is really a moot one

Regards,

Ian
Ian's been a troll since the day I got here in 2003 and he'll be a troll until the day he dies.

:feedtroll
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Ian's been a troll since the day I got here in 2003 and he'll be a troll until the day he dies.

Well that's a crock of shit, seeing as I only got involved with the game in April '04.

You really are stupid and obviously full of shit, making anything you post in the future more than likely a lie too
He saw you coming from afar?
I think you English speakers really need to stop being so arrogant... Why does everything have to be only in english and is the rest "minor"? I'm sure that if LFS was developed in chinese only you'd be very grateful when support for English finally came...
Quote from mcintyrej :When I was speaking about the wrong direction, I meant adding loads of new language packs that the minority's will use and mainly just adding new stuff. Rather than going back and fixing the massive issues with LFS that mean that its not a simulator.

For example:

-Flying when you hit a red barrier
-Flying when you hit walls at a wrong angle
-Flying when you exit the pits at the wrong angle
-Clutch heating too fast

Flying when exiting the pits at wrong angle? What angle were you going at?

Add my 10 cents in before the lock, The devs had 2 options to take, either address the big issues which could take god knows how long, or address the small, and more likey longer list, of smaller tasks to get done before the final relase. Now what ever way you look at it, it was always going to leave some part of the community dissapointed, so they were in a lose/lose situation. What it does mean is that once all the small tasks have been taken care of, they can really hammer the major issues knowing that there is nothing else that can/will distract them.

And if you don't like were it is going (or not depending upon you're view), then cut you're losses and clear off, why continue with something which clearly does not bring you any joy......

...unless you enjoy being a moaning old biddy in the back of the queue at the post office.
...thanks Mackie

Now I have a mental image of Ian in an overcoat with grey hair and glasses, clutching a purse and yapping loudly about nothing
Quote from Ian.H :Well that's a crock of shit, seeing as I only got involved with the game in April '04.

You really are stupid and obviously full of shit, making anything you post in the future more than likely a lie too

Touché!

So let me revise: been a troll since the day he got here in '04, and will be a troll...

You get the idea.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Flying when exiting the pits at wrong angle? What angle were you going at?

I think he means if you clip the garage wall with the side of your car when exiting. It usually launches you and causes massive damage.
Quote from Gil07 :I think you English speakers really need to stop being so arrogant... Why does everything have to be only in english and is the rest "minor"? I'm sure that if LFS was developed in chinese only you'd be very grateful when support for English finally came...

I think ian would make a good dev. He would be able to code a new car in a matter of weeks so we would get new content all the time

sarcasm
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I think he means if you clip the garage wall with the side of your car when exiting. It usually launches you and causes massive damage.

Well to be honest, if you can't get out of the sodding pit garage without contact with a wall, then maybe, just maybe (and I'm going out on a limb here) the race track is not for you.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Well to be honest, if you can't get out of the sodding pit garage without contact with a wall, then maybe, just maybe (and I'm going out on a limb here) the race track is not for you.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. My guess it will be fixed along with other impact detection flaws in LFS.
You could say tire curves beyond limit doesn't need to be correct becouse to put a fast lap down you won't go too much beyond the limits.
Doesn't make much sense, does it?
Ian - being here for 4 years on a game for $50usd (give or take according to exchange rate) is quite a steal. I've actually bought hi-res skins to support the devs further as my soul feels bad for "stealing" LFS. (I have bought my license and all the good stuff but the enjoyment I have got out of it has made that seem very close to free. Almost pennies per month).

As far as development, I totally agree that they may be working on things in the back ground. There is a difference from what they are working on and testing, and what we see - at least content wise I am sure. As far as the language support I was thinking its on of the better things to come to LFS, a truly global game if you will. Sure there are bugs, the devs know about the GTRs with road interiors, and they know about the barriers and such. Some of these (the barriers) aren't as simple as adding a bit of code to fix, its possible they know the issue and need to redo an entire section and it takes time to get around to it. However, that being said I don't feel its the largest problem, why are you racing into the barriers? Thats not the fast way around the track :P Yes it happens occasionally that you get to close.

Anyways, a note to the developers: Please don't get discouraged from so many people asking to speed up and add more content and all of that stuff. I am happy where I've spent my money and free updates are always great. You will see me in S3 when it comes out. I hope people that disagree will learn to keep their mouths shut so that it doesn't discourage you. Thanks for Live For Speed
Quote from blackbird04217 :Anyways, a note to the developers: Please don't get discouraged from so many people asking to speed up and add more content and all of that stuff.

Oh don't worry. They're used to years worth of whining about that, I think they take it as a given.
Quote from AndroidXP :Oh don't worry. They're used to years worth of whining about that, I think they take it as a given.

Used to it or not after awhile it will take a draining effect on their morale, and wouldn't be surprised if this is starting to make LFS feel like a job to them rather than some fun. I hope they are having fun while developing LFS and also that more people show positive support rather than whining. Honestly I don't know how they keep their morales up, just from reading this thread, and others around the forums it makes me feel bad... I guess the developers just have a wonderful turtle shell that can block away all of this stuff, and that is great!
This thread is closed

Hotlap did not pass HLVC check
(99 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG