The online racing simulator
Car Insurance...Joke?
(102 posts, started )
Car Insurance...Joke?
I don't get...Insurance for people my age group is just pathetic now. I took out insurance on my car today and the deposit was £400, I then have to pay £150 a month there after.....WTF! Thats well expensive. £1595 for a car I payed £285 for. I'm very shocked at that, and tbh, think its kinda unreal. Directline and others wanted around £2000 a year. I have no clue what these insurance company's are currently smoking but that is just stupid. Anyone else have any stupid insurance prices like what I'm currently paying, or is it just me....?
It's cause they think all young drivers try to copy what they see in need for speed and the fast and the furious.

So i blame them. I did a test and pretended to be 18 and the lowest quote i could find for a sports car eg 200sx was £900 yet the lowest priced 200sx i found was £500 cause it needed a new fuel inlet and ecu.
#3 - Ian.H
Damn! That's not far short of a quote I got 8 years ago for putting a cossie lump in a tranny!

My first insured car (1.1 Fiesta on an A-plate) was £720 FC. I now pay £505 for a 1988 325i... insurance for "young people" these days is pathetic. Certainly not sure the accident rate deserves such an increase... there was plenty of twats on the road back in my early driving days too (me being one of them).

I'm currently with More Than after they offered me the equivilent of 1 year no claims and also got a 20% discount last year for the first year due to me ol' man having cover with them too. No idea what they might charge younger people though.

Regards,

Ian
I have to pay just over £1000 a year for 3rd party insurance on my 1.6 Ford Focus Ghia. I am 21, and passed my test first time with 2 minors. Its basically statistics showing that young people have more accidents, although uninsured people have many more, so I don't quite see the logic there, but I don't think logic comes into it, they just want massive profits.
#5 - robt
its all £2000 plus where i am (just down the road from you mcgas) though i found a classic car policy willing to take me on for £1600 FC (capri 2.0 laser 1986) so thats £800 for the car and double that to insure it! youve got a cheap quote mate
I guess QS is right. They just want massive profits, Its the same as the fuel prices now. The company's make billions of ££'s, yet still change us pathetic money for fuel. Sad really...
That's why we have the ability to shop around
I'm gonna be a first time driver (yes, at nearly 28) and the quotes I've been given with 0 NCB and whatnot have all been around the £700-800 mark. But that's because I'm not looking for a sports car

But if you think your quote is bad, I almost died of shock the other day. My little brother drives a diesel Pug 306 or 309 (I forget). His insurance last year was like £400 or something. Since he's going to turn 19 in November he SHOULD have 2 years NCB, so my mum looked into getting him placed on her insurance (she has like 21 years NCB and a diesel Citreon Xsara). Took the combined insurance quote up to £5000. Five thousand pounds. Both of their cars combined wouldn't even cost half that.
Yikes.

I pay $60/mo over here for basic coverage.
£175 FC on both my Swifty AND my Civic

Sometimes being old and wrinkly has it's advantages
Well, part of the problem is that you are paying in installments. The amount you end up paying will be including however much interest you have signed up for.

I think my most expensive was about £1000, on a 106 Rallye when I was 19. Since then it has dropped every year and I now pay about £300 on a 106 GTi with protected NCB etc etc.

It pays to shop around, especially near the end of the month when they can do you a deal to meet their sales targets.
Quote from Dajmin : Took the combined insurance quote up to £5000. Five thousand pounds. Both of their cars combined wouldn't even cost half that.

Confused.com somehow made one quote of £7000...... :jawdrop:

Bean0: Paying installments does have its disadvantages, but at prices like £1500+, I dont have that cash to just....payout....
Quote from mcgas001 :Confused.com somehow made one quote of £7000...... :jawdrop:

Bean0: Paying installments does have its disadvantages, but at prices like £1500+, I dont have that cash to just....payout....

But if you pay it on a credit card, to them it is a one-off.
You then can pay back the credit card as quickly as you can to save on interest.

I used to put £15 into a seperate bank account every week (every payday), when insurance time came around there would be approx £750 sitting there.

If you arrange it as a Standing Order, then you never really notice it going missing, it just mounts up
My cheapest quote for my car (1994 BMW 316iSE) is £1040. The most expensive was £5000

It's all to do with statistics, really. The amount of 17 year olds that have crashed a Nova is ten-fold, but when it comes to 17 year olds crashing a BMW it isn't that common. Where you live helps a lot too. The reason my car is so 'cheap' to insure is because I live in the safest place in the UK
Quote from Ian.H :
My first insured car (1.1 Fiesta on an A-plate) was £720 FC. I now pay £505 for a 1988 325i... insurance for "young people" these days is pathetic. Certainly not sure the accident rate deserves such an increase... there was plenty of twats on the road back in my early driving days too (me being one of them).

Not only are the number of accidents high it is the type of accidents young drivers have, driving way beyond their abilities and shooting cars into things presenting potentially huge insurance claims from passengers and third parties. Cars may not be worth much more and the actual likely property damage is unlikely to be more than the insurance policy in a typical young driver big accident but the injuries claims are enormous.

I know someone who was a passenger in a car driven by a young driver, completely avoidable single car accident caused by ridiculously excessive speed (the one everybody who has ever driven a car fast thinks they'll never have), he broke his arm, driver broke multiple bones and another passenger suffered brain injuries. No doubt the pay out from the insurance company for life long injuries was a 6 figure sum even if the property damage was just a 306 and a tree.
Quote from The General Lee :My cheapest quote for my car (1994 BMW 316iSE) is £1040. The most expensive was £5000

It's all to do with statistics, really. The amount of 17 year olds that have crashed a Nova is ten-fold, but when it comes to 17 year olds crashing a BMW it isn't that common. Where you live helps a lot too. The reason my car is so 'cheap' to insure is because I live in the safest place in the UK

You live in no mans land , I went to Cornwall for a holiday week before last. Its all hills and empty land . I will grant you, Nova's arnt best cars, but be realistic..its not exactly worth millions...
#16 - Jakg
Quote from Luke.S :
So i blame them. I did a test and pretended to be 18 and the lowest quote i could find for a sports car eg 200sx was £900

That's cheaper than I can get for any car
I wasn't knocking Nova's bud, I know how much you love them. I get a lift in a horribly modified Orange Nova 1.2. I will take a few pictures tomorrow for you all But from what I can tell, they ain't bad cars. Not many about now either.
#18 - mr_x
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I have to pay just over £1000 a year for 3rd party insurance on my 1.6 Ford Focus Ghia. I am 21, and passed my test first time with 2 minors. Its basically statistics showing that young people have more accidents, although uninsured people have many more, so I don't quite see the logic there, but I don't think logic comes into it, they just want massive profits.

You're being ripped off mate with that price. (unless it's a newer Focus)

Mine is a Focus 1.6 LX (2003 03 plate), insured for business use, fully comp for £1200 for a year with no NCB, dropping to £1000 in September when I renew if I have no 'accidents' between now and then.

I was 19 when I took the policy out, now 20. Nobody else on the insurance, just myself.
Quote from mcgas001 :Nova's arnt best cars, but be realistic..its not exactly worth millions...

It is literally worth millions when you decide to impersonate a sardine can with other people about or inside it.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I have to pay just over £1000 a year for 3rd party insurance on my 1.6 Ford Focus Ghia. I am 21, and passed my test first time with 2 minors. Its basically statistics showing that young people have more accidents, although uninsured people have many more, so I don't quite see the logic there, but I don't think logic comes into it, they just want massive profits.

I got a quote of £1200 for a 1.6 Focus Zetec, no NCB, one year named driver experience, ungaraged, 6000 miles a year fully comprehensive.
I think the *ahem* business *ahem* use makes yours so cheap Mr. X

"Hello? Mr. X's insurance company? Well..."

On the subject of Nova's...Sardine can doesn't even cut it. Everyone laughs at work when I get out of this Orange one. At 6'4, I have to have my head at pretty much 90degrees with the seat right back and down...
What if, i have a garage with them shutter doors and i put down on my insurance its garaged at it gets nicked from outside my house? I won't be able to put it in there all the time, as my dad usually works on cars in there. Would it also help me having big iron gates at the front of the drive? Or do you not get the option to put that>
You have to own a Nova to understand . On the point of 'Sardine can', Nova's are small, but they very cheap on fuel, and cheap to repair. If you don't drive like a lunatic 24/7, It doesnt really matter how big the car is. Also, if you want to take the piss outta a small car, These are just a joke....
Just say they broke into your garage?
#24 - mr_x
Quote from The General Lee :I think the *ahem* business *ahem* use makes yours so cheap Mr. X

nope... without business use (on Social, Domestic, Pleasure and commuting), it cost £12 less than it does on business use (all of the above + business).

It's not insured under a business policy, it's all under my own private policy. The business use is there because I occasionally need to use my car for work. Otherwise I'd save the £12.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :What if, i have a garage with them shutter doors and i put down on my insurance its garaged at it gets nicked from outside my house? I won't be able to put it in there all the time, as my dad usually works on cars in there. Would it also help me having big iron gates at the front of the drive? Or do you not get the option to put that>

If you could evidence the fact that it is normally stored in your garage and there is a very good short term reason why your car wasn't in your garage at the time it got nicked you might get away with it, if you're garage turns out to be empty and you didn't bother to park it in there or it is clearly being used to store other cars/as a workshop then your insurance will be invalidated.

Car Insurance...Joke?
(102 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG