The online racing simulator
New Forum Upgrade = FAIL.
(103 posts, started )
btw since this is the official moan at vicc till he changes things thread
is there a way to change the thread/section read/unread marking so that it works just that last bit more like yabb?
the standard vbb system is as we all know rubbish and im beyond thrilled that you changed it to a more permanent system but theres one problem which still remains and that is that sections arent marked read unless youve marked every single thread in them as read
Quote from Victor :now see, finally some constructive critisism. I've moved the tags and bookmarks further down.

i must admit that is much better
#54 - aoun
Also to metion, atleast i can still show off my CTRA licences hehe!

..yeh there crap, but still!
Quote from Shotglass :btw since this is the official moan at vicc till he changes things thread
is there a way to change the thread/section read/unread marking so that it works just that last bit more like yabb?
the standard vbb system is as we all know rubbish and im beyond thrilled that you changed it to a more permanent system but theres one problem which still remains and that is that sections arent marked read unless youve marked every single thread in them as read

not sure what you mean. When I double click on the section icon, it marks the whole section as read, including the threads in that section?
Quote from Victor :When I double click on the section icon, it marks the whole section as read, including the threads in that section?

That's exactly the problem, it doesn't distinguish between reading sections and reading threads, which is why with the "new" more permanent system every section is always shown as unread and thus I use the "New Post" search to access the forum (which is why I'd like some way to tag threads so they stand out more in the masses of uninteresting threads).

I take it youve never used a YABB forum?
Anyway with VBB if you browse the forum from the main index it works something like this:
- open a section (eg. off topic) marked as unread
- quickly browse through it without finding any threads of interest
- go back to main index (without reading any of the threads, without giving anybody time to post in that section and without klicking "mark all threads read")
- section is still marked unread
- open section again
- not a single new post since youve last looked into it

YABB on the other hand works something like this:
- open a section marked as unread
- quickly browse through it without finding any threads of interest
- go back to main index (without reading any of the threads, without giving anybody time to post in that section and without klicking "mark all threads read")
- section is marked read (you've just looked into it and no one has made any post since the last time you looked)
- open section again
- all threads (even years old ones) are still marked unread even though the section isn't
#57 - arco
Good upgrade!
Quote from arco :Good upgrade!

I totally agree with you. Specially like the private area of forum now. It's informative, looks good and it's easy to navigate in it.
Don't really see the problem here, if people don't like certain functions - don't use them.
I can't see any changes to my profile page, the only changes I noticed are the social bookmarks and the tags.
[Edit: Right, I see them now. But the old version is still there under Edit Your Details so what's the problem? You don't need to look at them ]

Now the tags I can see getting abused, as the ones in this thread already show. I'm not sure what they add to the forum that the search function doesn't already do.

The social bookmarks section is a little excessive - when the title for a section takes up the same space as the section itself, you have a problem.
How about removing the big blue border/header, losing the text and just have the icons to the left of the page numbers? Let's be honest, the people who use them already know what the icons mean and the people who don't won't use them.
I've sat here reading all these posts about bookmarks and tags wondering what the heck they are. I see no bookmarks or tags. I see absolutely no difference in the forum than before.

Then I scrolled completely to the very bitter bottom of this thread and finally see the bookmarks and tags. Is everyone serious about the complaints on the bookmarks and tags? I think that was the first time I had ever scrolled a thread completely to the bottom to where you can't scroll any more since I've been on internet forums (far longer than this one).

What's with the big crying about the bookmarks and tags? Is the forum now the same as LFS where every little update is scrutinized and everyone is going to cry and whine about it? If the bookmarks and tags get this much crying, I can't wait for the complaining when they implement the thread heat modeling....

"whaa whaa whaa, my threads heat up too fast...."

"You must be using autoscrolling. Go manual scrolling and it's perfectly fine, it's more realistic...."

New thread: "Join the I'm glad the forum is harder and more realistic club" by Tristan Cliffe....
They were above the quick reply box, Victor then moved them to the bottom, so they are now out of the way.
Quote from Jakg :They are between the thread, and the place I reply - which is annoying...

Can't find a script to block them, though

Just knocked this up, seems to work:

// ==UserScript==
// @name vBulletin Social Bullshit Sanitiser
// @namespace http://www.clue-by-4.org/
// @description Remove the social networking bullshit from vBullitin forums
// @include http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php*
// ==/UserScript

function getElementsByClassName(className, tag, elm) {
var testClass = new RegExp("(^|\\s)" + className + "(\\s|$)");
var tag = tag || "*";
var elm = elm || document;
var elements = (tag == "*" && elm.all) ? elm.all : elm.getElementsByTagName(tag);
var returnElements = [];
var current;
var length = elements.length;

for(var i = 0; i < length; i++) {
current = elements[i];

if (testClass.test(current.className)) {
returnElements.push(current);
}
}

return returnElements;
}

var allEl, thisEl, tblEl;
allEl = getElementsByClassName('thead', 'td');

for (var i = 0; i < allEl.length; i++) {
thisEl = allEl[i];

if ((thisEl.innerHTML == 'Bookmarks') || (thisEl.innerHTML.match(/Tags/gi))) {
tblEl = thisEl.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;
tblEl.style.display = 'none';
}
}

Regards,

Ian
- Mike - I think at first they were at the top, but now are moved the the very bottom out of the way.
#64 - Jakg
Quote from Ian.H :Just knocked this up, seems to work:

// ==UserScript==
// @namespace [URL]http://www.clue-by-4.org/[/URL]
// @include [URL]http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php*[/URL]
// ==/UserScript

var tag = tag || "*";
var elements = (tag == "*" && elm.all) ? elm.all : elm.getElementsByTagName(tag);
var returnElements = [];
var current;

current = elements[i];

}
}

return returnElements;
}

for (var i = 0; i < allEl.length; i++) {
thisEl = allEl[i];

}
}

Regards,

Ian

woo, thanks!

Doesn't get rid of the bookmarks bit, though...
How do you even add a tag?
search

Ironic huh.
Hmm.. seems to remove both for me Jack (see attached).

Could do with a bit of smartening up. I'll have another look when I get home from work

Regards,

Ian

EDIT: Bah.. someone's moved them into a div element after I took the screenshot. I'll update this script later
Attached images
Clipboard Image.png
This one works with the newly located unsocial bolloxmark location

// ==UserScript==
// @namespace http://www.clue-by-4.org/
// @include http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php*
// ==/UserScript

var tag = tag || "*";
var returnElements = [];
var current;

current = elements[i];

}
}

return returnElements;
}

var i;

for (i = 0; i < allEl.length; i++) {
thisEl = allEl[i];

}
}

allEl = document.getElementsByTagName('ul');

for (i = 0; i < allEl.length; i++) {
thisEl = allEl[i];

if (thisEl.innerHTML.match(/target=\"socialbookmark\"/gi)) {
thisEl.style.display = 'none';
}
}

Regards,

Ian
Jakg, im going to say what i feel.

I think you are out of order moaning about the slightest things. The devs put alot of work into everything LFS related. And some teenager comes along as says New Forum Upgrade = FAIL. and has a good old moan.

How would you like it if someone made a thread called Jakg = FAIL. moaning about you, because im sure you wouldnt like that...

?
#70 - Jakg
These things are OPTIONS in vB. They can be turned off if required. I can't see ANY use in most of them. I didn't know if the option could be set on a "per user" basis.

I like features, but Tags (being anonymous) just end up getting abused in the end. I'd like to think that wouldn't happen here, but we said the same about the "Thanks" thing and looked what happened there...

PS - Works fine Ian, thanks!
To simply sum up, if you dont like them, dont use them.

I cant see a simplier way to resolve your problem....
Quote from RacerAsh3 :

[ snip ]

How would you like it if someone made a thread called Jakg = FAIL. moaning about you, because im sure you wouldnt like that...

?

Your analogy falls flat on its face here due to the simple fact the LFS devs didn't code vBulletin

Regards,

Ian
I didnt say they did I ment like generaly ive seen alot of teenagers moaning about the LFS production... like 'clutch is crap in new patch, i want teh xrt back' etc...
Quote from RacerAsh3 :I didnt say they did I ment like generaly ive seen alot of teenagers moaning about the LFS production... like 'clutch is crap in new patch, i want teh xrt back' etc...

And that has what to do with this thread title that you gladly pointed out and used within your analogy?

Just for clarification:

Quote from RacerAsh3 :I think you are out of order moaning about the slightest things. The devs put alot of work into everything LFS related. And some teenager comes along as says New Forum Upgrade = FAIL. and has a good old moan.

Regards,

Ian
It has to do with the fact that JakG is moaning about something he does like... if he doesnt like it, moaning isnt going to get you anywhere.

And before you accuse me of contradicting myself... i am not moaning. I am simply commenting.

New Forum Upgrade = FAIL.
(103 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG