The online racing simulator
Different Driver Names
(28 posts, started )
Different Driver Names
Hi,

Well, I have been putting up a few suggestions lately, but they have sucked. I thought this one through before putting it up, and I think it is a good one.

My brother and I both play from my account so we have two different driver names for each other. Unfortunately, he drives using the keyboard and I use the mouse. So, every time we switch we have to change that. Also, he uses the right side to drive while I use the left side. Another change.

I did this today and thought why doesn't LFS just let us pick the controls every driver uses? So, this is my suggestion:

Have the options custom for every driver name! Like controls, views, gear changing, graphics, etc. This way, each different driver does not have to spend his time away from racing, drifting, cruising, or whatever they do!

Please give contructive criticism. And I did search before I made the topic and did not find an idea like this!

Thanks!
the driver side should already be saved with the player name
and why dont you just use 2 different lfs folders? simple solution that never fails
Oh, sorry. Yeah, the driver thing is saved. I mean that I have to go to spectator to get back to my side of the car. Maybe that should happen instantaneously? Also, having two folders would increase the amount of money I would spend. If one folder had a downloaded skin and the other did not, then I would spend extra money getting that skin.
Quote from shashdev :Oh, sorry. Yeah, the driver thing is saved. I mean that I have to go to spectator to get back to my side of the car. Maybe that should happen instantaneously? Also, having two folders would increase the amount of money I would spend. If one folder had a downloaded skin and the other did not, then I would spend extra money getting that skin.

Maybe they can both share all the same folders/ files except for the profile one, (for driver and settings)

Somehow.
If I understand you right then you both using your single license together online wich is against the LFS license agreement and then you ask for an improvement of that?

Or if I missunderstood that and you both have a license then the easy way is to have 2 LFS folders 1 for each license. Simple as that.

And btw:
How would you spend more money on double downloading the skins (except you have a transfer limited account) as it works in the background and you are already online.
Last but not least you can copy the skins for free from one LFS folder into the 2nd LFS folder.

In other words:
There is no need for such an improvement.

Quote from BBO@BSR :If I understand you right then you both using your single license together online wich is against the LFS license agreement and then you ask for an improvement of that?

Or if I missunderstood that and you both have a license then the easy way is to have 2 LFS folders 1 for each license. Simple as that.

And btw:
How would you spend more money on double downloading the skins (except you have a transfer limited account) as it works in the background and you are already online.
Last but not least you can copy the skins for free from one LFS folder into the 2nd LFS folder.

In other words:
There is no need for such an improvement.

No, we do not go online at the same time. It is not possible (I don't think since the online would think the same people are in two different places at once!). Also, it would be less work just to change the controls then to go through every time and get all of the skins again.

All I am saying is that we should have different Driver names have their own options already pre-set for them.

That is my suggestion. BTW, I am happy at your comment since it was constructive criticism.
I think it would be cool to be able to export all the driver and control related settings into a single file you could just take to a friend for example, to avoid the hassle with the settings. (been suggested before)

Would also work in your and your brother's case, even though as BBO said, you are breaking the license agreement.
#8 - word.
I can think of a workaround.

Just make a copy of your LFS folder, and then you use one copy, and your brother uses another. You won't even have to unlock LFS again.

And it isn't breaking the licence agreement. They are playing on the same computer ffs. You guys are over thinking this one
Quote from shashdev :No, we do not go online at the same time. It is not possible (I don't think since the online would think the same people are in two different places at once!). Also, it would be less work just to change the controls then to go through every time and get all of the skins again.

All I am saying is that we should have different Driver names have their own options already pre-set for them.

That is my suggestion. BTW, I am happy at your comment since it was constructive criticism.

I didn't meant you go online together at the same time. I know that doesn't work.

What I meant was:

You have 1 license and you use it and
then your brother is driving with your license on another day or time
(that's against the LFS license agreement)
As 1 license = 1 driver
(doesn't matter if it is your brother or that you are living in the same house)

So then you run into trouble because of changing the steering input.
If you would have both a license (how it should be) then you wouldn't have any problems at all.

So in my eyes you are using LFS in a way that is not meant to be used and then you are asking for an improvement. That's strange tbh.
#10 - SamH
I think there's some confusion. You can let whoever you want use your copy of LFS on your computer without breaking the EULA. You can even let a friend or relative race on your licence, using a different PC at your house, over LAN. Where people might break the LFS EULA is if they allow someone/anyone unlock LFS with their details, by a relative or friend at a different location. You can't share a licence in that way.. over distance.

Most importantly, though, the owner of the licence is responsible for the actions of the people using the LFS licence at the place you reside. If you let your little brother Jimmy use your LFS licence, and he gets your account vote-banned offline for a month, it's not excuse to blame Jimmy. Your licence, your responsibility.

Extra to all that, maybe some cruise servers and definitely systems like CTRA stipulate that only one user per licence is allowed, and you cannot have two users sharing one LFS licence. Those are their server rules, though.. nothing to do with LFS's EULA
#11 - SamH
arox123's new demo account is history.
Ok, I don't really get the problem here,
you don't need to make a copy, so just do shift+s (spectate), (maybe shift+p to change setup, car w/e) then shift+j (join), I don't get how on earth that is much slower than shift+p, then join.
You make a big point out of maybe 1 extra keytouch per driverswap, which next to nothing.

Me and my brother play often too (not at the same moment), but he is going to buy himself a license when he has the money for a G25, (I already offered him my MOMO, but he refused) he just likes the G25 too much. I also said that LFS is cheaper now, but he still refuses.

OT:
EDIT: wow that was a fast ban.
EDIT2: after a short investigation of IATDG's posts, I noticed how obvious he wanted to ban himself
Quote from SamH :arox123's new demo account is history.

it was my brother, i have talked to the agry angel
#14 - SamH
We need to teach you how to lock your computer when you go shopping, arox!
Quote from aroX123 :it was my brother, i have talked to the agry angel

Ah, what splendid similarities, they even managed to misspell the same word
Yeah, so are me and my brother breaking the rules if we do this:

1. I go online in the morning and he is on another computer on single player playing.

OR

2. I go online in the morning and then my brother goes online after I get off with a different driver name.

OR

3. I go online in the morning and my brother goes online with the same driver name.

BTW, three never happens, but I am just asking.

Also, I have made sure to tell my brother to pick one cruise server which he wants and one that I have. We don't cruise often, just to pass time. I go on CLC and he goes on some Montana one. Also, I don't let him go on any of the CTRA servers. I have told him specifically about those.

Thanks!
None of the specific rules in section 3 of the agreement have been broken, so technically there has been no violation of any agreement. Most paid, account based online games do state in their EULA that only one person may use that licence/account online (exceptions such as +1 minor sibling etc may apply), and tbh I've always been a bit surprised that LFS does not have a tighter licence agreement in this respect. It's up to the devs though.
Quote from SamH :I think there's some confusion. You can let whoever you want use your copy of LFS on your computer without breaking the EULA. You can even let a friend or relative race on your licence, using a different PC at your house, over LAN.

There is still confusion (maybe just for me )
but also you Mods are unsure I think
(or I don't really understand the sentence from Franky500
http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... p;postcount=56#post704765
He said it's not allowed to: Allow use by multiple persons (other than those residing in the same household on a LAN).

Then I think I remember Scawen said someday something like: 1 license should be for 1 person.
but I think that was written in a different coherence.
OK found it:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... p;postcount=21#post519933

Anyway I always thought playing over LAN with others (but only with 1 license ) is ok.
And playing online with 1 license and multiple users (from the same PC / home ) was not.
But maybe I was wrong all the years.
Then sorry to the thread starter.
Only if he lets his dad play.

I wonder if it applies for people suffering with dissociative identity disorder as well. No it's not. Yes it is. Oh shut up, both of you - perhaps the legality of this exercise in the virtual is linked directly to the mundane corporeal vessel of its operator. Bah, you twat - speak normally. Yeah.
#22 - SamH
Hmm.. well now I'm not sure either! If Scawen says no (and as you rightly point out, he pretty well says that), then I guess you're right. It probably could be made more clear in the EULA. I know a few dads who let their kids play on certain days and on kid-friendly servers, and that's never been frowned on. I dunno.. I think it's something we mods need to sort out with the devs and then go from there
#23 - Woz
Quote from SamH :Hmm.. well now I'm not sure either! If Scawen says no (and as you rightly point out, he pretty well says that), then I guess you're right. It probably could be made more clear in the EULA. I know a few dads who let their kids play on certain days and on kid-friendly servers, and that's never been frowned on. I dunno.. I think it's something we mods need to sort out with the devs and then go from there

I am sure people sharing the licence on same PC is fine but as others point out that if its your licence and your "brother or whoever" acts a prat and is banned then tough.

You will also share racing stats and PB and everything else on LFSWorld because there is one account.

Personally I would not like the devs to waste time implementing any form of settings switcher etc as only a fraction of people want it so dead dev kime.

The OP should live with the limitations of LFS. You could use 2 installs of LFS on same machine and link the skins directories so that skins are shared between both installs. I dont see the need for ANY changes to LFS in this area.
Yeah, as I stated earlier, this is just a small improvement suggestion. When the devs go for the final S3, they should all come to the forum and pick up all of the small little things that people have put for the game like my idea. The longer S3 takes to come, the better it will be!!!
#25 - Woz
Quote from shashdev :Yeah, as I stated earlier, this is just a small improvement suggestion. When the devs go for the final S3, they should all come to the forum and pick up all of the small little things that people have put for the game like my idea. The longer S3 takes to come, the better it will be!!!

I would say use 2 installs of LFS BUT in one delete the skin and other folders you want to share and instead create links to the directories in the other.

You will then share skin downloads and hence not get charged twice for them etc. Create the links in the same way you would create a shortcut, just with a dir instead.

Different Driver Names
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG