The online racing simulator
LFS attempts to dominate Motorsport News
If you would all kindly open your copies of Motorsport News (you have bought one this morning, haven't you?), and turn to page 46 you'll no less than three, yes THREE, LFS users mentioned... [edit: FOUR!!!! We have FOUR. Do I have a fifth?]
  • Niki Meredith (nikimere) is credited with 10th, 7th and 10th in his Legends racing at Mondello Park.
  • Keith Dempsey (kdempsey) is credited with 9th and 7th in the final two races of the same Legends race (beating Niki in the Final).
  • Alex Gassman (minimaxman) is credited with 2nd in the MR2 race at Rockingham .
  • Tristan Cliffe (tristancliffe) is credited with pole, 2nd (class win) and 3rd (class win) in his (my) two races at Rockingham, and a little mention in the days' highlights too.
Note: This would be an impossible feat in any other simulation. rFactor is too shit, nK is too buggy, and GTR2 is too arcadey to provide the required skills, whilst iRacing is so expensive one wouldn't be able to afford to move on to real racing afterwards.

VIDEOS

Saturday's Practice - Wet. Got pole by 1.4 seconds
Saturday's Race - beaten off the line by a '98 car, but finished 2nd (1st in class) despite mid-race spin
Sunday's Practice - Dry again, qualified 4th, just 0.014 seconds off 3rd (I was second in class, 1st was that guy ahead)
Sunday's Race - 5th got a great start, but within three laps I was up to 3rd (1st in class), where I stayed to the finish. Didn't push really hard all race.

Edit2: Other LFS users (past and/or present) that compete in motorsport include:
  • Kristjan Einar (kekkart) - British F3 National Class. 6th in the championship at the time of writing (12/06/08)
  • Your Name Here
Quote from tristancliffe :whilst iRacing is so expensive one wouldn't be able to afford to move on to real racing afterwards.

Great work guys, i'm proud of you!
Quote from tristancliffe :The next step is to have half a dozen of us on one page, then to have interviews, articles, insights etc into our race training software.

And more importantly, where do you buy your burgers from.

Regardless though of such important details - congratulations.
How about Keith Dempsey? As far as I know he was guest driver in the Legends Racing race just like Niki, isn't he credited?
If $13 a month is what's keeping you from 'real racing' then I'd say you were cutting it to the bone already. $13 is what I pay for 4.8liters of fuel for my car. That would take me about 8 laps on track. Then there's the trailer, the van, the tools, the tires, the stuff I break and so on... If $13 is all it takes for you not to race that month then dude... Get a sponsor or a job...
Quote from atledreier :If $13 a month is what's keeping you from 'real racing' then I'd say you were cutting it to the bone already. $13 is what I pay for 4.8liters of fuel for my car. That would take me about 8 laps on track. Then there's the trailer, the van, the tools, the tires, the stuff I break and so on... If $13 is all it takes for you not to race that month then dude... Get a sponsor or a job...

Some people just don't have a sense of humour...

Quote from traxxion :How about Keith Dempsey? As far as I know he was guest driver in the Legends Racing race just like Niki, isn't he credited?

Updated. Thanks. I don't know his username though
Also missing is myself, who valiently attempted to break the sound barrier while travelling home from Alton Towers, so I wouldn't have to hear the horrible noise coming from the hole in my exhaust. Sadly I failed, but was still quick enough that nobody saw enough to write an article.
Quote from tristancliffe :The next step is to have half a dozen of us on one page,

The only way I'm getting into a motorsport rag is if I put on a bikini and some lippy and sit on a pile of tyres.
Added videos. They're 1000kbps FLV files (like Youtube I think), so should work on most computers and internet connections...
Quote from thisnameistaken :The only way I'm getting into a motorsport rag is if I put on a bikini and some lippy and sit on a pile of tyres.

Failing the motorsport mags, there is other kind of mags for that look.....
Quote from thisnameistaken :The only way I'm getting into a motorsport rag is if I put on a bikini and some lippy and sit on a pile of tyres.

I don't think a man in a dress would turn any heads at a sports event in the UK, let alone make it into a magazine.

However, if you were completely sober while doing it, that would be a story.
Any news about Kristján Einar (kekkart) in British F3?
Quote from tristancliffe :Added videos. They're 1000kbps FLV files (like Youtube I think), so should work on most computers and internet connections...

Do they not have any marshalls in the events you're racing? I was watching that qualifying session at Rockingham and failed to spot any (maybe because of low FOV and video compression) flags waving with all that traffic and cars going off all around in the first laps...
There weren't many, I admit! Fortunately Rockingham has relatively good visibility, so they're not always needed that much - except over the crest on the long left hander - you'll see me lock up as another car and myself come across a spinner...

Kristjan Einar is currently in 6th place in the National class. Results page can be found here
Looks like he had a podium at Monza, but 5th or 6ths mostly elsewhere. Interesting that he drives for Carlin, as I'm on the phone fairly regularly to them about buying a Dallara
Yeah I know, was just so you'd add him to the list

He is getting a lot better, the podium in Monza showed that. Racing while injured this last round didn't help much though... He had to be lifted in and out of the car!
Motorsport News is a motorsport newspaper in the UK. I don't know if he was in this one, let alone on page 46.

However, it's worth adding, and this thread might become a "LFS users competing in motorsport" thread.
Hopefully in a year's time you can add me to that list as a motorcycle racer.
Quote from tristancliffe :...Interesting that he drives for Carlin, as I'm on the phone fairly regularly to them...

Also interesting that I did work experience for a couple of weeks there last year.

Thanks for the mention Tristan, and thanks to my mate who linked me to this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it. Like I said before, such a coincedence hearing your name being called by the commentator at Rockingham last weekend. We both had a very good meeting there.

Here's a link to the video of my race, if anyone's interested. It was such an interesting race that I've left it all in, so had to split it into two parts to fit it on the 'Tube:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1w4xyDsDrw&fmt=18
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... watch_response&fmt=18
You are great on the brakes! Some nice moves there...

Where are you out next? I'm at Anglesey in just over two weeks time, so if you're there we can probably find each other
My next one's not until the 25th August unfortunately, there's quite a long break. It's at Mallory again. Hopefully, I won't do what I did last time out there again and stick it in 3rd gear waiting on the grid rather than 1st!

After that I've got Cadwell, Snet and Brands in September, October and November respectively, so maybe you'll be at one of those?

Do you always run with the Classic Sports Car Club?
Quote from Minimaxman :Also interesting that I did work experience for a couple of weeks there last year.

Thanks for the mention Tristan, and thanks to my mate who linked me to this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it. Like I said before, such a coincedence hearing your name being called by the commentator at Rockingham last weekend. We both had a very good meeting there.

Here's a link to the video of my race, if anyone's interested. It was such an interesting race that I've left it all in, so had to split it into two parts to fit it on the 'Tube:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1w4xyDsDrw&fmt=18
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... watch_response&fmt=18

what camera u using thats some nice video.?
Quote from Minimaxman :My next one's not until the 25th August unfortunately, there's quite a long break. It's at Mallory again. Hopefully, I won't do what I did last time out there again and stick it in 3rd gear waiting on the grid rather than 1st!

After that I've got Cadwell, Snet and Brands in September, October and November respectively, so maybe you'll be at one of those?

Do you always run with the Classic Sports Car Club?

I'm at Cadwell on September 6/7 and Snetterton on October 18/19, but as I live about 15 minutes from Snett I might pop down and see you even if it's not the same date as my race.

This year all but one of the races has been with the CSCC. Overall a much better standard of organisation than the BRSCC, which were too interested (perhaps understandably) with ClubF3.
I'm at Cadwell on September 7th which is a Sunday, so you seem to be racing on the Monday and Tuesday? I'm at Snet on the 19th too, so looks like we'll have a chance to have a bit of a chin-wag at some point!

The video camera is a Sony dcr-hc 62 handycam widescreen with a wide-angle lens adaption. (If that's not a mouthfull, what is?)
I've never tried putting a Sony Handycam in my mouth. Jaffa cakes yes, but Handycams no.

Got my Cadwell date wrong (duh)! I'm a bit wary of the mountain - racing is hard enough with all the wheels ON the ground, let alone with none! Do the MR2s take off there, do you know?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG