The online racing simulator
Shower isolation switch (shower pull cord)
(22 posts, started )
Totally off-topic, but I know we've got a few people here who are a dab hand with the DIY, and a fair few pros.

About 6 months ago the isolation switch for the shower, in the bathroom, went and I replaced it no problem. However this morning it appears as if we're getting no power to switch. The breaker hasn't tripped, so I'm guessing that the switch is screwed.

However I'm not 100% sure whether or not there's a replacable fuse in it, or not. Last time I took one apart to look at was some time ago and it never did go back together properly (figured something sprang out and it wasn't retreived).

Assuming it's not got anything replacable in it, I assume the option is to again replace the bloodly thing? Or does anyone have any possible suggestions as to what else may have caused this, if it's not the switch?
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

sorry couldnt resist and I wish that never happens to me because I have no fclue on how to fix it
Quote from BurnOut69 :Have you tried turning it off and on again?

That's what I tell my clients Sadly it's not computer orientated, so I'm slightly out of my depth I fear

Quote from BurnOut69 :sorry couldnt resist and I wish that never happens to me because I have no fclue on how to fix it

Meh, it's not too much of a problem, as long as it's not the actual cabling that's busted (although I don't see how. In which case it's a job too big for me). It's just annoying though Don't exactly want waking up at some ridiculous hour because your sister can't have a shower
All the shower "switches" I've seen were basically mechanical sliding plugs that you pull to block the flow from the spigot and direct it to the shower head. I've never heard of one being electronic, seems like needless complexity.
He means an electrical switch.
#6 - ajp71
Quote from the_angry_angel :That's what I tell my clients Sadly it's not computer orientated, so I'm slightly out of my depth I fear

Try hitting it.
Ok to clear up any confusion, it's basically like one of these: http://images.theangryangel.co.uk/61168.jpg

Basically you yank the pull cord and nothing happens, no light indicating power it going through it, nothing.

Edit: Maybe I'm assuming it's something which it isn't.. Either way.. Help?
#9 - Renku
@TAA..
Sounds to me that the switch is buggered....buy a new switch! If you can install a PSU in a PC then replacing a switch will be a piece of p!$$..Honestly! Just remember to isolate the circuit BEFORE you start work on it..(either trip the breaker in the main fuse box, if you know which one it is...or just turn everything off at the mains )
The switch usually has a spring and ball-bearing sort of setup, which is held in place by moulded plastic..this isn't a really strong part, and is usually the first thing to go tits up....

HTH

Bladey.
<3 Bladey I think that's two drinks I owe you now.. I hope you're coming to this karting meet! Cheers for the advice one and all!

Quote from Renku :Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /61168.jpg on this server.

Meh.. Apparently I need to update the regex to allow LFSforum :doh: If you just go straight to the URL and control+f5 it should work

Edit; sorted..
Quote from Forbin :All the shower "switches" I've seen were basically mechanical sliding plugs that you pull to block the flow from the spigot and direct it to the shower head. I've never heard of one being electronic, seems like needless complexity.

Quote from STROBE : He means an electrical switch.

Ah! What a fantastic idea. Putting an electrical circuit in the shower!

Yeah Forbin, what a strange bunch these UK folks are, huh?
Electronic shower?

Where do you plug that oh never mind...
Quote from Hyperactive :Electronic shower?

Where do you plug that oh never mind...

Into the mains supply..........water & electric
sounds like a resident evil puzzle.
An electrical circuit (sounds like some relay-operated valve or something) to control waterflow in something as simple as a shower? ... why?
An electric shower is simply a shower that is heated in the shower cubicle with an element, rather than coming from the hot water tank in your house.

The shower will run off your cold water supply, meaning that you do not drain your hot water tank whilst having a shower.

So you basically have an electric shower unit that heats the cold water as it passes through the unit.

The isolation switch is just a separate ON/OFF switch placed away from the shower unit else where in the bathroom.

Clear as mud?
Quote from mrbogeyman :An electric shower is simply a shower that is heated in the shower cubicle with an element, rather than coming from the hot water tank in your house.

Ah OK - so it's just a small water heater - I recall having seen something like that in a house in Deutschland only it worked with gas. That makes sense, you'd need those around there as I imagine that solar water heaters wouldn't be a dependable option.
Quote from xaotik :...as I imagine that solar water heaters wouldn't be a dependable option.

Why would they even sell those in the UK? It's not like the sun ever shines there.
For the benefit of those that are lucky enough to live in countries that have Sunshine or hot rain, and have never heard of an electric shower...look HERE.
Probably not the one TAA has, but I bet it is very similar
Incidentally, Bladey's confirmation of the problem was correct :up: Dude, I owe you one
Quote from the_angry_angel :Incidentally, Bladey's confirmation of the problem was correct :up: Dude, I owe you one

Glad I was able to help

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG