The online racing simulator
Bumping and boring
(36 posts, started )
hard ramming away isnt great, but touching and bumping a bit (bit weaker then the P.I.T. Manouver) is a fix part of rx
Quote from bluejudas :This is how brutal rallyx can be... :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmpVpPD2FqA

But sadly LFS has a collision bug, so being that brutal is a problem

Nothing to do with the LFS collision bug. If that was a replay of an average Tintop race in LFS it would be considered a very clean one, and that would be on tarmac too !! I think that video just goes so serve the point that LFS races are in general anything but clean, and just how far from reality so called "clean racing" in LFS is a lot of the time. I don't think i've driven one single race in LFS where someone hasn't at least nudged me. In LFS contact seems to be considered the norm. In real racing it is anything but.
Quote from gezmoor :In LFS contact seems to be considered the norm. In real racing it is anything but.

Its normal in all of the racing I've watched, the only racing where contact is rare is in historic racing and F1. LFS is no worse than some of the "racing" that goes on in BTCC and it's support races.
Touring cars allow contact. But in normal club racing (which is what LFS simulates), contact is not allowed. LFS racers don't seem to realise that. What I particularly hate is when you get spun out by someone who thinks they're faster, and then they complain that you were "in the way". Or if you're lucky, you get spammed "AH S0RRIEZ!!!111!!". Not very life like at all
Quote from noskillz :Its normal in all of the racing I've watched, the only racing where contact is rare is in historic racing and F1. LFS is no worse than some of the "racing" that goes on in BTCC and it's support races.

Ok let me rephrase what I mean. Contact is inevitable in close racing. But the majority of that contact is harmless in real life. It doesn't put people off their lines, doesn't force them to stay out wide and not be able to turn in etc. It's unintentional, and when it's made the drivers make efforts to back off and/or separate. The difference is that in LFS many people purposely nudge others to unsettle their cars just going in to a corner and there by are able to pass for example. Or they just plain use the other car to make the corner at a speed they would never be able to if they weren't "resting" on the other car. Or they dive up the inside knowing full well that they are going to ram the car ahead when it turns in, but doing it just right that they get through unscathed. Those are just a few examples of the kind of racing "techniques" I've seen used regularly in LFS that just wouldn't be tolerated in real racing.

Another example from F1, I can't recall the drivers but it was a tight right and one of the drivers had managed top pull up on the left of the driver in front going down the straight approaching the corner. They both went in to the right hander pretty much side by side, (3/4 car overlap with the ouside driver just nudging ahead), but the inside driver was defending the line and so the outside driver braked to avoid a collision when he realised he was going to be squeezed out by the outside curb of the corner. He actually braked and allowed the inside driver through. In other words his over taking attempt wasn't sucessful and he fell in behind to try again later on.

Now in LFS I garuentee that 90% of players in the same position as the guy on the outside would just attempt to drive over the curb or just plain collide with the inside car. That's the difference, I practically never see people back off to avoid colisions in LFS. Especially in situations where they think they can get through by hitting the other driver.

Simple fact is that in real racing it is the responsibilty of the driver behind to pass cleanly. It is NOT the responsibility of the driver ahead to make space for the driver behind to pass cleanly. The driver ahead is fully entitled to stick to their line and it's just tough if that means you can't pass. If there is going to be a collision it is the driver behinds responsibility to back off and avoid the collision not the defending drivers. The only real exception being a late braking charge up the inside where the defending driver should not turn in if it's going to cause a colision, if it isn't going to cause a collision and the overtaking driver can stop in time then the defending driver is entitled to block the move. The important point to note in such a situation is that the overtaking driver can NOT dive in so late and fast that it will cause a collision unless the defending driver doesn't attempt the corner at all, ie goes straight or has to stop completely etc.
I think part of the problem is that people using keyboard/mouse/non-FFB wheels aren't affected by a crash. I always have to avoid collisions with my G25, as one tip and I could be out of control. But those using keyboard or whatever can just drive through anything, and not feel a thing...

It also annoys me to no end when I get rammed at full speed after a race, as it just f*cks up my wheel. People have broken fingers from that...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I think part of the problem is that people using keyboard/mouse/non-FFB wheels aren't affected by a crash. I always have to avoid collisions with my G25, as one tip and I could be out of control. But those using keyboard or whatever can just drive through anything, and not feel a thing...

believe me thats not the case, I use a keyboard and it's as hard, if not harder to control than using a steering wheel if you get in a smash. And I spend my time in banger servers

might just be me and my spaz hands though
#33 - Setu
bumping in rallycross
But IRL drivers don't have to contend with battling to control the car at low FPS
I'm not the fastest racer, but I race more for overall time not position unless it's comming down to the very last few laps.

I still always manage to get ran off the road by a lot of people holding my own line and giving people room that have a the main line in turns.

Bumping and boring
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG