The online racing simulator
Balancing XRR and FZR ON THE OVAL FOR 130 LAPS
As some of you might know i am going to start the 3rd season of LFSCAR 360° CUP Series in the near future (www.lfscar.com)

I am planning to race with both rear wheel driven GTR cars in next season, unfortunately the FZR is (when you compare the world records) almost 2/10 of a second faster on the oval. (same driver, being perfect with both cars and perfect in line)

0:38.530 XRR (plaztikman)
0:38.370 FZR (plaztikman)

with my testing so far, i could say if you put air restriction for the fzr to 1% you will lose about 9/100 of a second.
taking into account the fzr has more fuel load most of the time.

so my thesis is:
if you give the FZR a 2% air restriction on the oval, this should level both cars out in a 130 laps race. i think fuel won't be the problem as we will have cautions anyways... and as far as i could test it, the fuel is calculated into the 1%

what do you guys think. this is just for leveling out on the oval with roling start!
130 laps of concentrated boredom and gives us absolutely zero useful feedback.
Fischfix, what your getting at may appear to be evening the cars out over 130 laps, but what about mid-race competition? What about SC periods? What about drafting?

If you remove 2% of the intake from the FZR, it may end up being close to the XRR in the end because of different weight and fuel strategies, but during the middle of a run, the XRR will simply blast on by.

Rarely do oval races go 130 laps caution free, so you need to balance the cars by lap time and let the teams pick their poison relative to the other factors.
Quote from spankmeyer :130 laps of concentrated boredom and gives us absolutely zero useful feedback.

what do you mean by that?

Quote from banshee56 :Fischfix, what your getting at may appear to be evening the cars out over 130 laps, but what about mid-race competition? What about SC periods? What about drafting?

If you remove 2% of the intake from the FZR, it may end up being close to the XRR in the end because of different weight and fuel strategies, but during the middle of a run, the XRR will simply blast on by.

Rarely do oval races go 130 laps caution free, so you need to balance the cars by lap time and let the teams pick their poison relative to the other factors.

you are right with most of your thoughts but one thing is the fact at the moment: if you have races like i am going to do, the FZR will win every single one just because its much faster. does not matter with or without drafting. the only chance for an XRR is when he can stay in the draft of the fzr. but if there are fzr behind those two and are drafting, they will catch up.

so the main question is: is 1% enough to slow the fzr down or is it too much or is it not enough

i mean, if there is no safe way in balancing both cars for the oval, then i will stick to XRR only again. i mean i cannot influence drafting or cautions but i can influence the weapons for everyone. if the weapons are equal, everyone has the same chances of drafting and tactic
#5 - Fuse5
Quote from spankmeyer :130 laps of concentrated boredom and gives us absolutely zero useful feedback.

I do understand that you like to post, but when you don't have anything relevant to say, don't say it. Keep your flame to yourself.

@Fischfix: IIRC, Before Patch Y, XRR and FZR were very well balanced, but since then, FZR has lost the restriction it had of some sort, because FZR WR was also in the 38.50s range. And they were pretty well balanced on the track, either on 8 laps or 80 laps, it just used to be a matter of preference. I liked the XRR because of its stability. The only difference was, that one of them (dont remember which one) was a lot faster off the line than the other.
Quote :@Fischfix: IIRC, Before Patch Y, XRR and FZR were very well balanced, but since then, FZR has lost the restriction it had of some sort, because FZR WR was also in the 38.50s range. And they were pretty well balanced on the track, either on 8 laps or 80 laps, it just used to be a matter of preference. I liked the XRR because of its stability. The only difference was, that one of them (dont remember which one) was a lot faster off the line than the other.

thh fzr is faster off the line but thats neglect able as we are running flying starts. again, i think the cautions won't have that much of an influence either as i expect 2 cautions per race.

oh there is one more thing to say: there will be an R2 tire restriction for all cars
#7 - Fuse5
Ah yes, obviously. I was just saying that practically the only difference between them was their ability to get off the line. But thats it.
Will just have to fiddle with the restriction to make them even in times.

EDIT: R2s?!?! Pitting every 10 laps?
Quote from Fuse5 :Ah yes, obviously. I was just saying that practically the only difference between them was their ability to get off the line. But thats it.
Will just have to fiddle with the restriction to make them even in times.

EDIT: R2s?!?! Pitting every 10 laps?

You mean every 3 laps
#9 - Fuse5
It would make sense restricting the tire choice to R3s only. Because they tend to wear and heat when going fast (not limping, that is), so the use of better and faster R4s could be banned.
with R2 and the right setup you can go 30 to 35 laps in heavy drafting, at least with the XRR. just reduce camber and raise pressure and you are there. not a big deal.

the reason for R2 lies in the cautions. during the cautions the tires cool down that much, so it needs after the restart about 10 laps to get them up to heat again with R3+. the inner tires did not heat up at all. which will or which had caused a lot of post caution crashes in the first 2 seasons because people were not aware of the bad tire temperature and the different car balance.

in last season we had at least one race with R2 tire restriction and it was quite an improvement. as the tires were up to a decent heat after 1-2 laps after a caution. and whats good: all 4 tires have decent grip.

but i am not sure about how the FZR handles R2 tires though... i mean R4 are insane for a 130 laps race... the inner tires will just be black in the end...
ok tires is one thing i did not take into account...

this will need some testing with humans.... maybe the R2s are just enough restriction for the FZR as migth not be able to go with that car as long as with the XRR
Yea well, you got a point in that. R3s cool down really badly even after a rolling start they are very cold. And the frequent recoveries won't do them any good either.
The only problem with the R2s is heating and wearing too fast. And using smaller cambers and higher pressures with R2s are going to make the overall race pace a lot slower. :/
I was able to manage medium and hard tyres quite comfortably when I took part in your series before, then again when I prepare for a league race I do at least 1 full length run, and with 90%+ of all the overtaking I did in your series being on the lap following the safety car coming in, maybe I just like 'em cold!

Assuming the FZR/XRR both handle tyres more or less to an equivellent standard then i'd suggest simply balancing the cars on lap time. If there is a difference in tyre life dont put too much emphasis upon it as it is almost always better to drive faster and stop more frequently and cautions will throw any perception of balance by strategy out because of their totally unpredictable nature.
that "unpredictable nature" is not so unpredictable with what i have in mind...

just a hint: "nascar all star race" rules but thats just an idea...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG