The online racing simulator
stronger torque band
(32 posts, started )
stronger torque band
I dont know if its just me but if im in like 2nd gear at low rpm and go full throttle it doesnt really seam to pull any harder as it climbs. I say this because in my real life car if i do the same thing it starts to peel out when the band hits(around 4000rpm) I notice a slight band in turbo cars but thats only when they hit full boost. Just my 2cents
The horrible power bands are largely due to the horrible engine model. its something that needs to be tossed out and redone at some point. take the xrt for example. you could be in any gear and it won't hit full boost until like 5000rpm; plus the turbo spools linearly like wtf.
You need the purple power bands.
Actually it's the turbo modeling that's been absolutely out of whack and neglected for as long as LFS has existed. The NA engines are just fine.
Quote from Jamexing :Actually it's the turbo modeling that's been absolutely out of whack and neglected for as long as LFS has existed. The NA engines are just fine.

i disagree, but i suppose it could be a bit subjective depending on what type of NA cars we have driven.

Looking @ tweak you can see how weak the engine model is in general.
the only time ive noticed the torque band in a NA engine is when my tires are popped. If you go full throttle they wont spin intill like 3500 rpm. They should be slipping even if they are brand new. At least with the GTR cars
That being, of course, entirely dependant on the tyres themselves relative to the power output of the engine. It's no use saying that brand new tyres will spin when you open the throttle, because a lot of the time they just don't - and shouldn't.

Keeping an eye on the G-meter is the way to check the powerbands, but bear in mind that the faster you're going, of course, the lower the force will be anyway. Personally, I've never had problems with the powerbands of the cars. I don't drive turbocharged cars very often, and yes the turbo' modelling does seem somewhat strange, but the naturally-aspirated cars seem fine.

What's your real-life car, your comparison?

Sam
I didnt mean to refer to eery car but maybe the more powerful ones. I drive a 450hpGTO and when i wind out 2nd gear it will start to spin when the powerband hits. Maybe its an unfair comparison with some of the cars but I expect it from at least the GTR cars, and yes it also depends on tires but cold in the first lap should do it with enough power. And now that i think about it ive never gotten the tires to chirp into third. Maybe i dont shift fast enough but im just trying to add more realism.
Did that 450GTO have slick tyres?
And is your car set up with optimum gearing from a near infinite selection, most probably with a ridiculously tall first gear?
...The point being that, as I suspected, you don't have a comparable real-world example to use.

Sam
Stock gearing. 275mm wide tires, and how is that not comparable?? My friends Cobra is faster then most of the cars in the game(except for the open wheelers) and he has full slicks and is spinning them still in 4th gear.
How is a 450bhp, big, lazy muscle car on 275-section road tyres, with road factory gearing, not comparable to a 490bhp stripped-out high-revving race car on great fat soft-compound slicks with optimum cogs for the situation?

You tell me.

Sam
actully most of my interior was gutted..and like i said..the cobra has slicks and skinnies and is still lighting them up in 4th gear..my friends porsche GT3 has slicks that spin once the turbos kick in..a 490bhp stripped-out high-reving race car on slicks should have no problem spinning the tires espcially when cold..
So you have waited in the pits for 20-30 minutes to make sure the tyres are cold? Because you know, all tyres in LFS are preheated and far away from cold.
Bear in mind, of course, that the very coldest tyres we have access to in the GTR cars are at 65'C. Hardly comparable to the ~20'C you're talking about.

Damn my slowness.

I think I might put an FZR in the pits until its R4s go cold - still probably softer than the slicks you're talking about - and see what happens.

What's the power output of that Porsche GT3, then, if it's been aftermarket turbocharged? Purely out of interest.

Sam
stock turbo..dont think its stock boost though..its a 2007..give or take 450hp..but there isnt much to the interior
A stock turbocharger in a 997 Porsche 911 GT3?

Really?

Sam
sorry its a GT2..
Makes a little bit more sense now, then.

The jury's still out on that tyre test, they're not cold enough yet. Suppose they should really have road pressures in them as well, around 32-34psi? Just another factor that's usually different for us in LFS.

Sam
i understand what your saying with the temperature but in my own experience its a lot more fun and when you feel that torque start to kick in. and with a simulator(with no motion) its a lot harder to make that same feeling..given the tires differ greatly i just feel it will add a little more to the realism factor of the game..im not saying for it too do it all the time but maybe a first lap or with a street tire to drift or just have fun
We don't have any road cars powerful enough to get this impression, and butchering the tyre physics to make it work on race cars does seem a little.. Well, unnecessary.

Having tested the FZR...
It takes two hours to get the 34psi R4 tyres to cool down to 23'C, but then they have almost no grip whatsoever. Engaging the clutch sharply in second with any reasonable throttle gets the tyres spinning without hesitation, and for a hell of a long way too. You can start the car off in second or even third, and it'll just go with the tyres being ripped apart.

Actually, it's quite good fun

Seems the simulation remains fairly accurate to your road-temperature experiences, then?

Sam
yeah i geuss the tires are pretty well simulated..but that still doesnt change the fact that the engine doesnt really pull harder as it climbs..regardless of spinning the tires
You really don't know what you're talking about, now do you? :doh:
Let's quickly compare FZ5 with a Porsche GT3. They have quite similar specs, produce about the same amount of max. power & torque, and are naturally aspirated (to get rid of LFS's turbo modeling).

GT3 dyno test:
http://awe-tuning.com/media/dy ... E_997GT3_exhaust_dyno.jpg

FZ5 graph from Bob's VHPA
http://www.vehicle-analyser.com

With a bit of trickery (matching the scales of the graphs):

Excuse the imperial units, but the actual values aren't important here.. Of course, one can argue the accuracy of the real car dyno plot, but this looks to me that at least the FZ5 has the same amount (or even more) grunt as its real life brother. Everyone can do their own comparisons with a LFS car and a similar real car, just find a dyno graph and compare it to what Bob's software shows you.
Attached images
fz5bobs.jpg

stronger torque band
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG