The online racing simulator
1998 Dallara F3 3D model?
(13 posts, started )
Am trying to find a Dallara F398 3D model for playing with as a bit of a project over the next couple of years (and yes, I know I'm being specific with the model)... Partly renders, partly attempting to use in a sim (rFactor probably), but mainly to learn CFD techniques a bit more eloquently.

Knowing there are lots of render and 3D artists around here, I thought there was a fairly good change that someone either knows where to find a model, or someone who wants to knock something up for me (not after CRAZY amounts of detail either - LFS model quality would be enough, and I can just about tweak it if required - but I'm crap at modelling...)

Hope someone can help!

Tristan
#2 - T.J.
You could try to learn a 3D program like blender. You learn a LOT if you just take your time. That would save you time when or if you get that 3D model. Have you searched the internet for the model? Some people sell models through sites like Turbosquid and such.

Good luck!
Am reasonably capable at rendering and tweaking models in Max, but my attempts (several) at modelling from scratch absolutely suck!

Had a rummage at Turbosquid et al, but no luck
#4 - T.J.
I only found toy car models when I searched... You could try to find a person who is good at 3D modeling and pay him a few bucks to do it.. Only thing I can think of at the moment.
if you give me some refference pics i can give it a try
I have put some in a zip file. I don't have a great deal of pictures that show close ups, but I do have plenty of overall shots from trackside photos... Not all of the exact same car, but essentially the same thing, albeit some have differences... different wing mounts, or slightly different engine cover shapes.

If you fancy having a go that'd be GREAT! I'd buy you a beer if you happen to be at a pub near me (or perhaps a small Paypal donation for your troubles).
Attached files
dallaras.zip - 1.5 MB - 383 views
you need every little pieces or only the bodywork, suspension frame, wheels, wings? what do you want do whit this?
p.s.: it was answered
Just an overall - don't worry about making panels removable or anything... Wouldn't mind if the suspension and wheels where there too. But ignore the engine, radiators, internals etc
im pretty sure i can mod the FOX
[edit]: What version of max do you have?
I've got V8 lying around here somewhere, but don't worry too much about that
#11 - MR_B
Mmm, also I'd suggest Solidworks which is a CFD application, I enjoyed using that. And Catia if you really want to do some CAD. ('tis a little bloated with options mind you, but it is industry strength!)
I have used Catia, but as you say it's not simple! My one attempt with Solidworks a few years ago wasn't successful, possibly because I wasn't used to parametric modelling then.

I use Max for rendering and Inventor for CAD (which also has basic FEA included, not that I have a huge amount of use for it most of the time).

I haven't decided what software to use for CFD, but Solidworks is a likely candidate if I can dig out the CD I got from Uni...
Like Mr B said I suggest you Solidworks for modeling for CFD application, because a LFS quality model would offer crappy results.

Keep in mind that CFD is not very accurate, even if it shows the main aero phenomenons. Nothing is better than a full scale 3/4 opened wind tunnel with rolling road and wheel spinner devices. Ah and a CFD calculation for a road car model computed with 30 cpus spends 10-20 hours

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG