The online racing simulator
Music Q, Lyrics, do they matter?
(39 posts, started )
Quote from MAGGOT :Anyone actually read Cradle of Filth lyrics? The dark overtones may be off-putting to some, but damn Danni can write!

Yes he can, shame he cant sing - ever listen to their Maiden cover of Fear in the Dark? *shudder*
Quote from BurnOut69 :IMO is a the combination of both what create superb listenings: Tool

+1 and the best example IMO.

Awesome instrumental and meaningful lyrics.
a lot of the music i like is instrumental or in languages ill never understand
and its the only music i can deal with while working... thanks to some odd wiring in my brain anything i hear gets priority and i cant concentrate on anything but the lyrics no matter how daft they are
Depends really.

Hardcore don't exactly need lyrics, as its mostly just the tune you're listening to and dancing to...however if it has some good pumping lyrics getting you to go harder and faster, thats also a plus...

Then you have things like Happy hardcore, with the cheesy lyrics...that are needed, otherwise it wouldn't BE happy hardcore.

On non-electronic music, i think lyrics are essential, they need atleast SOME type of meaning behind them, even if its little or small.

But with that being said, they also need to blend with the music and "go" with the tunes behind it.

Personaly, i dont mind having lyrics not mean anything, but if they do? its an added bonus.
I always find music with lyrics much more memorable.. more of the time I'm listening to music, its for the sake of it, not in the background. That is assuming the lyrics are good and fitting with the rest of the instruments, some of it these days is just trash.
For non-native English speaker, understanding the lyrics goes to a whole new level. Basicly you maybe understand half of the words or at least you think so but the whole picture is still very blurred. So you have to go to google and read the lyrics to really understand. So for me lyrics doesn't matter as much as the instrumentals.
It depends.

¿What do you want to express with the song?

There are things that need to be said with words, and it can be a clear message, or something more symbolic.

There are things you can only say with music, just listen to some contemporary music, you'll know what I mean.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I once had the misfortune to get stuck sitting next to this musicologist chick on an 8-hour flight and she made me listen to lots of CDs of chanting monks. She was really enthusiastic about it.

Nightmare date.

You had a date on airplane?

Damn Kev is taking chicks on date on airplanes. All I get is being shouted in a cab and later being beaten by the cab driver lol

---
Lyrics, never really listen to them, not even with finnish songs. I hardly pay attention what the singer says, if the singer's voice is nice and the riffs are heavy I'm not complaining. Or the melody good, or has sense of feeling in it *sob*
Quote from Becky Rose :Yes he can, shame he cant sing - ever listen to their Maiden cover of Fear in the Dark? *shudder*

Hmm... don't think I've heard that one actually. I'll have to check it out. How old is the cover? Admittedly I only like the 3 newest albums (Nymphetamine, Damnation and a Day, and Thornography) and a few other tunes. I loved 'For Whom The Bell Tolls,' which was a cover wasn't it? I can't remember. haha
Quote from Hyperactive :You had a date on airplane?

Damn Kev is taking chicks on date on airplanes. All I get is being shouted in a cab and later being beaten by the cab driver lol

I just got sat next to her - it wasn't intentional. Unfortunately I'm a musician and she was quite pretty, and we were stuck with eachother for 8 hours.

If my first encounter with any of my girlfriends had been a trans-atlantic flight I think I would've only wasted my life on two of them. Actually in future maybe I'll book a weekend in New York as a first date - it would work out cheaper than the usual six months it takes to realise you're dating a psycho.
Quote from thisnameistaken :the usual six months it takes to realise you're dating a psycho

And ten or so years to figure out they're all closet psychos.
Quote from thisnameistaken :it would work out cheaper than the usual six months it takes to realise you're dating a psycho.

Uh, Earth to Kev, they're all psychos. Some of them just happen to be the good kind of psycho...

Music Q, Lyrics, do they matter?
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG