The online racing simulator
Music Q, Lyrics, do they matter?
(39 posts, started )
Whilst listening to some J-rock this morning on the way to work, it stuck me that, even though I couldn't understand a word of what they were singing, I was really feeling the music.

Then I remembered Sigur Ross, can't understand any of thier gibberish, but still really like the music.

So do lyrics really matter?
Lyrics are good when they have something "important" to say. And with that i mean, something you would agree with... something that is important for you... like they would be about something you think about in a similar way, share the same view, etc. Then they usually help you to identify yourself with a song.

However, they are not really important. Music is the universal language that everybody around the world can understand. Therefor it doesn't need words, or if there are lyrics, you don't really have to understand them to feel the music.

I find myself listening to music where i don't understand the lyrics, but still enjoy it a lot, simply because it makes me feel something. Which is what is important in the end.

A good example is The Pillows. I have no idea what they are singing most of the time, but i have almost all of their albums, and it's one of my favourite bands.
Quote from danowat :So do lyrics really matter?

As said above - depends on the music. Take the lyrics away from most of Johnny Cash's or Henson Cargill's songs, for example, and you'll end up with a big empty nothing. Not even tunes worth humming to really.
Quote from danowat :So do lyrics really matter?

"Not to the modern society they don't" (c) SouljaBoy
Oh god Soulja boy "YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" honestly who came up with that?

I reckon the music and lyrics go hand in hand. But you always or atleast i always seem to try and point the music back to my life.
#6 - ajp71
Personally I like lyrics to be clear, though what they say isn't necessarily that important and good music doesn't need to have many lyrics.
look at the mirror, look at the face, look at the mirror, do you recognise the eyes staring back at you... (some German I dont understand), embrace your pain, let it take you away...

Some Blutengel song I'm listening to now. I know what its about, but to me it reminds me of a night I spent with my partner when she was helping me understand it.

I like to understand songs but I'll take my own metaphors anyday.
Quote from xaotik :As said above - depends on the music. Take the lyrics away from most of Johnny Cash's or Henson Cargill's songs, for example, and you'll end up with a big empty nothing. Not even tunes worth humming to really.

But are they musicians?
For example Bob Dylan... is he really a musician? For me is more like a speech with sounds on behind
I think jibber was spot on with his response.

If you want to get a message across then sure, lyrics are vital.
But if you're just talking in terms of memorability, the melody is the most important part. Lyrics play the secondary part.

You can remember any lyrics over memorable music. But would you remember fantastic lyrics over a crap tune?
If the lyrics are intended to make an "important" statement of some sort, yes. Most of the time though, as long as the lyrics' tempo suits the music I'm not bovered. As for "But would you remember fantastic lyrics over a crap tune?", probably not, but, I don't listen to crap tunes
It's Sigur Rós. :P

They made 1 album with just sounds as language. Their public could send in what they think the songs should be about. Some kind of "ultimate" poetry or so.

But I think, if you want to make lyrics that matter (if , go write poems or so. The music is about the music. A lot of musicians and also listeners forget that the music itself can be about a lot already. So IMO lyrics aren't really needed. But they can add something sometimes.
Quote from RocksGt :But are they musicians?

Uh... yes.

What I'm saying is that you could substitute the melody of their voice with an instrument instead.

Try the same with Leonard Cohen's songs - they lose more than half their potency.

Or even better go for the same with Kurt Weill's music - it's awesome on it's own, but add to it the lyrics of Brecht and it becomes amazing.
I guess it's a matter of perspective and how you listen to music at that time.

I often work with music on in the background and usually I'm not listening to the words all the time. However, on the rare occasion I sit down to actually listen to music (and do nothing else) I like to listen and warble along to the lyrics (or at least a close approximation).
Quote from AstroBoy :Oh god Soulja boy "YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" honestly who came up with that?

[ snip ]

When was the last time any of "those people"(tM) actually had any talent?

Most are easy to spot even before they open their traps just by looking at what twattish name they thought would be cool to call themselves. People like that should be tortured, slowly, over the course of a week so they can understand what their "act" does to the average individual, not "da wanna be bad innit.. yahknaaaaaw" croud of retards.

As for lyrics, as already said, they can make or break a track and my mood (or current activity) will normally determine how much I actuallt listen to them.

Regards,

Ian
I'll let the music do the talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-LDQVrDUY

Not too much of this song makes sense, but it still brings chills down my spine and has my hair standing on end whenever i hear it.
Quote from Becky Rose :You know, there was a time before lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7etQ0oWu0

Sure, but Mozart's piano sonatas don't classify as "songs" so naturally they wouldn't have any lyrics associated - I think danowat was referring more to songs and how the lyrics affect the mood/appreciation...
Quote from RocksGt :
For example Bob Dylan...

Spot on. Perfect example of artist that is all about lyrics.

With this I dont mean in any way that instrumentals arent good, and there you have, again, Sigur Ròs or Mogwai. IMO is a the combination of both what create superb listenings: Tool / Pearl Jam / NIN, etc
I find I enjoy a song a lot more if I read the lyrics and find out what the song is about. That said, a fair bit of the music I listen to you can't really hear the words anyway ( ), or the lyrics are in finnish, or german. Doesn't stop me enjoying a song.
The Cocteau Twins had lyrics of made-up words. Incomprehensible in any language, but they still managed to convey an emotion.
I like to listen to the vocals as an instrument, as for most songs that is all they are. Without intentionally doing it, songs with stronger lyrics stand out and I end up paying attention to what's being said. I think the lyrics for Stereophonic's I Stopped To Fill My Car Up caught my attention on the first listen, although reading through them now they don't seem particularly interesting.
For me the tune is massively more important. The tune is what makes a great song memorable.
xaotic covered it, as usual.
It depends. When my band is writing lyrics we tend to try and make the lyrics on a topic relevent to a majority of people today, but it doesnt necessarily mean the lyrics are clear, or easy to understand.

But any death metal bands you talk to will say that it doesnt matter, although, their lyrics tend to be "GRR UHHH AHH" or whatever.
Quote from spiderbait90 :But any death metal bands you talk to will say that it doesnt matter, although, their lyrics tend to be "GRR UHHH AHH" or whatever.

Now there's an improper generalization. I've found, actually, that many metal bands have better lyrics than most other genres of music. Anyone actually read Cradle of Filth lyrics? The dark overtones may be off-putting to some, but damn Danni can write! The lyrics are the best part of that band, probably the main reason I enjoy them so much.

On the other side of the coin, I listen to German and Finnish metal bands, and for the most part I haven't got a clue what they're saying. Still love listening to them.

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG