The online racing simulator
EXTREMELY Annoying WMP Problem
(26 posts, started )
This is uber off topic but meh

I have recently been trying to play videos on WMP, and I get this annoying error message.

(See attatchment)

I click 'web help' and it gives me some crap about the File format not being supported (It's a .AVI ffs! :really. The other thing it suggests is that I need to download some codecs. Could anyone point me to roughly what ones I might need because I have no clue . I downloaded some codec pack but that didn't work .

The only video format it does play is .wmv (Strange eh? ).

This problem is also affecting WMM. I can't import any videos. It gives the error that the file format is not supported.

It all worked fine before

Another problem, which I assume is related to this, is that I can't rip any CDs Using WMP. In the 'Rip progress' column, It just says 'Error' (no error message).

I had a similar problem before, and I never got to the bottom of it, having spent hour upon hour trying every possibility I could find. Not even our computer man could fix it . Eventually our HDD broke so we *effectively* got a new PC, which fixed the problem .

This is on a different computer (My laptop running with Vista) and I'm using WMP 11 if it makes any difference. The error code is C00D1199.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached images
Error Message.jpg
#2 - Ian.H
Start using a real video player

http://www.videolan.org/ should sort you sweet. Not come across a video it hasn't played yet, will even play .flv files download from youtube etc.

I don't remember installing any other codecs... it just works(tm) :cool:

Regards,

Ian
Damn you!

I forgot to say, please don't suggest using other software, because that doesn't fix the problem!
#4 - Ian.H
Quote from JO53PHS :Damn you!

I forgot to say, please don't suggest using other software, because that doesn't fix the problem!

Well, it does and it doesn't. VLC has a lot of codecs (or whatever it uses) built-in, so indirectly, if you forget about WMP, problem solved as you don't need the dependencies, but if you're adamant about sticking with WMP, then I guess the problem isn't solved

I think the most common pack of codecs will be K-Lite if you want to go that route.

Just FWIW too, 'AVI' is semi-ambiguous as a format label, as it could be a DivX 3,4,5,6 video, XviD etc etc.. all carry the .AVI file extension (just in reply to your 'it's an AVI FFS' comment ).

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :I think the most common pack of codecs will be K-Lite if you want to go that route.

No, no and no for codec packs.

JO53PHS: Obviously you have already reinstalled WMP11?

-
Quote from deggis :

JO53PHS: Obviously you have already reinstalled WMP11?

It sounda kinda silly, but I sorta can't. I've downloaded a fresh copy, and it says that , my version is newer, so therefore I can't install that one.

I can't seem to find the Reinstall button (Lil help? )
This tool will show you the codec you need:
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Just open any *.avi with this and it tells you anything about it.

But most likely you only need ffdshow-filter installed,
it covers all mp4-codecs and a lot more.

Oh, and maybe you wanna try the MPC?
The best media player imo.
Thanks for your help guys.. Just trying all the different things now
No luck
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Try the K-Lite codec pack. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

I have the uber-leet full one, and it plays literally EVERYTHING...

No, no, no. (Umm, deja vu, feels like I already might have said this...) K-Lite pack might be better than it used to be (used to totally horrible) but it still likely causes all kinds of compatibility problems and just gives you a bloody nose. Combining every freakin' codec there is to one package does not equal to superb functionality. For an all-in-one solution players like VLC are better choice. Or Combined Community Codec Pack, that one is properly done and includes only what is really needed and not dozens of codecs and filters that does exactly same thing.
#12 - Jakg
Although Deggis will kill me for saying that - K-Lite. Never had every problems with it.

If WMP is fooked why can't you just use VLC?
Quote from deggis :No, no, no. (Umm, deja vu, feels like I already might have said this...) K-Lite pack might be better than it used to be (used to totally horrible) but it still likely causes all kinds of compatibility problems and just gives you a bloody nose. Combining every freakin' codec there is to one package does not equal to superb functionality. For an all-in-one solution players like VLC are better choice. Or Combined Community Codec Pack, that one is properly done and includes only what is really needed and not dozens of codecs and filters that does exactly same thing.

The K-Lite pack is brilliant now, I've no idea what the old one was like...the new one has never given me trouble though, ever, with pretty much every format tried and tested...
Get this and never have a problem again

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

It includes the very slim Media Player Classic, which together with this easy to install codec pack, has yet to fail to play any video file. One download, one install and that's it. Oh and keep an eye out for updates because they they come as soon as a new version of this or that codec is is released.
Quote from X-Ter :Get this and never have a problem again

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

It includes the very slim Media Player Classic, which together with this easy to install codec pack, has yet to fail to play any video file. One download, one install and that's it. Oh and keep an eye out for updates because they they come as soon as a new version of this or that codec is is released.

Is XP just the name of the thing or does it refer to what systems it works on? Because I have Vista
Haven't tested on vista. Try it and let us know
If VLC and KLite wont play it, you may have a corrupted file?
A popular suggestion: reinstall That MUST solve the problem. Usually...
#20 - dev
Try FFDshow... it works with many player, I have been using it for years with WMP
#21 - arco
Quote from Droemel :But most likely you only need ffdshow-filter installed, it covers all mp4-codecs and a lot more.

That's the old version and not developed anymore. Go for ffdshow tryouts instead.
Been using K-Lite for years. Never had a problem.
I also use ffdshow, but with Media Player Classic.
K-Lite pack for me. Never had any problems with it at all.

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG