The online racing simulator
Stopping end-race mayhem
(70 posts, started )
Stopping end-race mayhem
I don't know if anyone else feels the same way but for me personally the immersion of a race session goes for a toss everytime cars start crossing the start/finish line on the last lap.
Drivers just crash into walls or into each other or simply park anywhere they feel like.

It's not a big deal gameplay wise but it's a complete immersion killer.
Anyone else feel like this could use some work?

I have thought about various solutions like DQ'ing anyone who doesn't drive into the pits after the race is over or letting the AI take control over the car which will then drive the car safely into the pits.

Another good solution is pulling the drivers from the cars as soon as they cross the finish line and showing a kind of podium screen with the top 3 finishers.
Chatting and voting will be allowed during this 'podium celebration'.
Quote from saumilsingh :I have thought about various suggestions like DQ'ing anyone who doesn't drive into the pits after the race or letting the AI take control over the car which will then drive the car safely into the pits.

This is the standard procedure in leagues, and I'd love to see it made mandatory by LFS, at the same time we get warm-up laps maybe?
Quote from frokki :This is the standard procedure in leagues, and I'd love to see it made mandatory by LFS, at the same time we get warm-up laps maybe?

+1 that would be so cool
#4 - Dru
sounds like an un-feasible suggestion for purely pickup racing.

If you don't like what people do at the end of the race, just spectate immediately, then you don't have to see what the others are doing...
Quote from Dru :sounds like an un-feasible suggestion for purely pickup racing.

It would be a server option anyway.
Quote :If you don't like what people do at the end of the race, just spectate immediately

Doesn't that mean that you lose your position on the grid at the next restart?
Should be doable with insim I guess. Anyone who isn't the pit area just before a race restart receives a 1 race ban or something like that
Post race is the best time for newcomers to the server to familarise themselves with the combo. And also a good time (the only time?) to test setup changes whilst in a server.
I agree. Even on CTRA servers after finish starts a horrible crashfest. And I agree it's not a big big problem, but I always like to drive to the pits after race like I would do IRL.
I don't see it implemented for pickup races, but for longer races it would be nice to have.
I'd like to say +1 but I'd have to agree that it's not feasible for pick up races.

I bloody hate it when people get all crashy at the end of the race and park right on or near the racing line. I like to put a few more laps in whilst waiting for a restart so people wrecking me after a race makes me very mad. Especially when it is done on purpose. If I had my way then people who intentionally wreck after a race would be banned from using the internet for life.

In fact, I hate after-race wreckers more than in-race wreckers because at least in race wreckers know they are doing/have done wrong. After-race wreckers think that it's all in good fun. Bloody twats.

I'll stop ranting now.
Quote from saumilsingh :
Another good solution is pulling the drivers from the cars as soon as they cross the finish line and showing a kind of podium screen with the top 3 finishers.

Very good option. A podium screen with the top 3 drivers and their cars next to it.
Seems dreadfully sexy ^^
Quote from Zen321 :Very good option. A podium screen with the top 3 drivers and their cars next to it.
Seems dreadfully sexy ^^

Seems PlayStationish with no real gain. ^^
Would look nice for the first 3 times, after that just stupid and irritating.
I do some of my most productive testing and setup changes after pickup races. Am I to be peanalised for working through ideas that occur to me during racing? Yes, the jumbled mess of a carpark and rammers at the end of a race is annoying but I don't want to be peanalised in my setup manipulation just because you can't pit yourself to get yourself out of the way.

Sure, in league or compitition races a cool down lap and pit entry is in the rules, thats more than fair. But not for just saturday night racing. Prehaps a server side option to auto controlled cars or something, but I prefer the freeform finish myself. And some of the best racing I've had is when the pressure is off and the race is over and a few of you are still going for it just for one. More. Lap!

If it's server rules then obviously this would be self policing, anyone not addearing to the cool down lap rules would not be welcome anyway. So an actual enforced option isn't needed.

No, I don't like this idea. Let the chaos reign.
Quote from saumilsingh :I don't know if anyone else feels the same way but for me personally the immersion of a race session goes for a toss everytime cars start crossing the start/finish line on the last lap.
Drivers just crash into walls or into each other or simply park anywhere they feel like.

I have thought about various solutions like DQ'ing anyone who doesn't drive into the pits after the race is over or letting the AI take control over the car which will then drive the car safely into the pits.

I agree 100% - I find it really irritating to get rammed by someone after a race finish. You also still get people driving the wrong way after race finishes occasionally even on S2 servers

I'm all for the AI take over option. Drives you automatically to the pit after you cross the finish line.

Edited - Actually reading through the other posts AI probably isn't a good idea. In which case definitely penalising anyone who starts wrecking, doing donuts, driving wrong way etc. On CTRA I would go as far as subtracting whatever points they'd just earned on their license for that race.
I could write a quick InSim Application that ensures that you go into the pit lane within the average lap time...

So you have to do one more complete lap, then put into the pits? *Shrugs*
I think it wold be enough only to stop driving wrong way. It's always ****** if there is a close race on the middle or last positions and there is a driver driving wrong way and destroying someone's race in the last lap.
Quote from wsinda :Doesn't that mean that you lose your position on the grid at the next restart?

If you rejoin while the restart is counting down, you keep your position. If the screen flashes and the grid gets set before you are able to join, you are put last.

It's a great way to ensure you are not taken out by the noobs at T1. Start last, watch everyone wreck, drive around them, get to T2 in 5th place when you started 23rd.

I too hate all the "demo" behavior at the end of a race. Often I do spectate to wait for the grid to be set and put myself in final start position on purpose. I also sometimes like to continue running laps when waiting for a restart as others have mentioned. It is a great time to play with the setup and really ticks me off when I'm halfway around the track and some moron rams me head on coming down the track the wrong way.
Seems like it'd be simple enough to punish people for (for example) collisions after the race ends. Since the competition is over there's no need to drive hard post race so collisions are unacceptable.

Stick 2 mins onto their finish time, knock them down a few places and the epic fail lap/race time goes on their LFSW stats. That'd make them think twice
Quote from saumilsingh :I don't know if anyone else feels the same way but for me personally the immersion of a race session goes for a toss everytime cars start crossing the start/finish line on the last lap.

BOOOORING!

yes, i am a post-race wrecker myself.

whats the use of driving to the pits after a race? whats your next suggestion: No shift-s? hell its a game... why are people so anal about realism.

there are at least 1000 things i would change first to improve realism in this game which are more fun and have a better benefit to the general user then this bs.

i can see a point on event servers and league races but on public servers... btw. if a server host does not want it, and he is a responsible host, he will watch the server most of the time and kick people who do not behave according to the server rules.

or use lfs lapper on the server...
There is an easy solution to this problem: Server admins.

When I run a server it is made very clear on the intro screen that post-race wrecking will not be tolerated. Do it once and you get a warning. Do it twice and you get booted. Easy peasy.
I would like an option to reduce post-race wrecking. When I have just joined a server, I use the post-race time to do a few laps and get into the rhythm. But quite often this preparation is ruined by wreckers or by guys who just park in the middle of the track. And a couple of times, I couldn't even finish my race because I was wrecked by someone who finished early (I was in mid-field, and he crashed into me at the final turn).

I must admit I don't see a perfect solution.
  • Going into AI mode after finishing would help, but it takes time to clear the track after the race.
  • Automatic pitting could help, but determined wreckers can then leave the pits and continue wrecking.
  • A rule that automatically pits any car that crashes might work, but looks artificial.
  • Any other penalty (e.g. time, loss of grid position, DQ) for people who crash would also punish the innocent.
Quote from Cue-Ball :There is an easy solution to this problem: Server admins.

Sure, but that takes effort from the admin. If LFS could guard against this behavior, it would raise the standard of racing on servers that are admin'ed less intensively.
There is no perfect solution.
A handful of admins can't watch 30 people all at once, so even with the human eye to determine it there'll be mistakes. That's why there should be extra systems in place to do it.

A time penalty doesn't have to punish the innocent all that badly. InSim and LFS itself can determine where a yellow flag should be waved if someone stops in the middle of the track, so in reverse that means you can detect when someone has stopped off the racing line. If they've done that then in a very basic sense that person can be more or less be taken out of the blame if they are then involved in a collision. Of course more variables are needed, but that's a start.

If people knew there would be a permanent stain on their record, they would think twice about behaving like idiots. Or at least only do it so often before they got banned.

This is yet another occasion where the rating system I suggested a long long lo-o-ong time ago would show it's worth. If everyone voted down a wrecker they would be taken out of the equation.
ok lets face the facts:

most servers (especially public servers) are crowded by 12-17 year old kids who give a god damn poo about rules post race. "the standard of driving" is over after the race which is in my opinion not a bad thing.

everyone who wants can drive to the pits and spectate then, all the others can wreck their brains out. i still do not get what you want with this suggestion.

do you wnat to force everyone else to enjoy the game exactly the way you enjoy it? if you want to run a server, take care of the server. end of story. if you want to run on clean servers go to servers which have that kind of rules.

if you want to wreck after the race, go to servers which allow this kind of behaviour.

we do not need rules like this for all servers. period.

i do not want to repeat myself but: DON'T BE SO ANAL
Meh. I think it's nice to park up with someone you've been wheel-to-wheel with for the past 3 or 4 laps and congratulate them. You get a real sense of camaraderie.

As Funnybear said, let the chaos reign. Any server deemed 'serious' enough to disapprove will be self-policed by the other racers and admins. I also found it quite welcoming when I first started that not everyone on the server takes things utterly seriously 100% of the time. I'd have found it a bit intimidating if everyone went into a parade lap after my first race with me not really knowing what was going on.

That said, I've been parked up resting my chin on my wheel after a race when someone's hit me causing the force-feedback to nearly dislocate my jaw...
Quote from Dajmin :If everyone voted down a wrecker they would be taken out of the equation.

The current voting system in LFS has proved itself time and again to be open to abuse, I see absolutely no need to extend its uselessness.

What's the problem here? Mostly, the post-race crash fest takes place around the finish line, so

a) finish high enough that you leave it behind, or
b) drive around it

Problem solved. Next!

Stopping end-race mayhem
(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG