The online racing simulator
Stopping end-race mayhem
(70 posts, started )
There's only 2 options for the end of races.

Firstly is to do what most new games do - have auto-pilot take over when you cross the line for the last time. Keeps everyone in formation and stops any retard carnage after the race is over.

Secondly is the LFS method where they leave it in the drivers hands to be responsible enough not to be a moron. You can't go "Oh stop adding unrealistic things to LFS" on one hand and then "yeah but I want to spend the post-race repeatedly crashing into everyone at 150mph" on the other.
If you take the game seriously enough that your tension builds up, why don't you take it seriously enough to just stop by the roadside to calm down? If someone cuts you up in traffic IRL you don't pile into them at the next corner. Or at least you won't very often.

I'd rather not have auto-pilot, because I feel that removes a lot of the immersion that we're looking for here.

But as I said before, if I'm running a test lap with a modified setup, I need to pass T1 - where post race wreckers hang out most of the time. If I can't get past, I can't test my setup. If I can't test my setup and drive the way the developers intended, those wreckers are causing disruption on the server, which is a bannable offense.
It is nice to park up alongside someone you've been jostling with at the end of a race.

It adds a lot to the sim.

I was coming out of the pits after a race recently to try a set-up and some idiot comes at me going the wrong way....very annoying as I had to go back to the pits and drive out again at that slow speed.

It's the kids that do it.
Quote from The Very End :I don't see the problem.
If you don't like it, go to pit, spectate or hide behind something. Usually I crash ( start flaming me ) something after finishing.

exactly - this thread is creating a problem where none existed. If you don't like people denting your virtual car after the race spectate or pit. And I don't believe all this stuff about people wanting to test setups etc after a race has finished, thats what hot lapping in single player is for. If you're that worried about people ruining a lap after a race when you're testing a set up go into single player. When you think of the relatively tiny proportion of people who both play LFS and use this forum putting in a new autopilot after race has finished (crap idea) will anger a lot of people. I rarely race anything other than rallycross and bangers in LFS but after a race I like to proverbially let my hair down a bit and have a bit of a scrap with other players, the majority of which are fine and have a smash too. It's the minority of users on this forum who are so totally anal about LFS and them needing it to be hyper-realistic that seem to have a problem.

Crashes happen in real racing. Shit happens in real racing. You won't always have a perfect race. There will always be some noobs racing alongside you, but you shouldn't belittle people who a) may not have been playing as long as you and b) don't quite have the same experience both in life and LFS as you. And don't generalise all crashers as kids, I've played online against 11 year olds who are brilliant drivers. IMO it's the 'adults' that are the problem. They're stuck indoors playing driving game when they could be outside driving a real car. If you want a realistic driving experience, DRIVE A REAL CAR and quit trying to turn a great racing game into some kind of hyper-realistic, uber strict, dull unplayable mess. At the end of the day, it's a GAME not real life

/rant *awaits slating*
disallowing cruise helps a bit, but only if they drive the wrong way. i also installed vcom on my server, to force idlers to spec. it's not a complete fix, but it's a start.
Quote from mookie427 :Crashes happen in real racing. Shit happens in real racing. You won't always have a perfect race. There will always be some noobs racing alongside you, but you shouldn't belittle people who a) may not have been playing as long as you and b) don't quite have the same experience both in life and LFS as you.

"in real racing" yes. Mid-race crashes happen a lot, yes. Post-race crashes rarely happen. And deliberate post-race crashes never happen, because nobody is that retarded.

Quote from mookie427 :If you want a realistic driving experience, DRIVE A REAL CAR and quit trying to turn a great racing game into some kind of hyper-realistic, uber strict, dull unplayable mess. At the end of the day, it's a GAME not real life

Firstly, I don't even drive yet IRL, so sim racing is the only place I can do it. Secondly, even if I did drive I can't afford to sign up for track days. So, if you can find me a free trackday then go right ahead. Unless you're suggesting we all get involved in street races, which are just abotu as retarded as wreckers. Otherwise, you can't possible expect people to simply do it in a real car because it's expensive and impractical.
Most sim racers race sims because they can't do it (due to money or ability) in real life.

And finally, I paid my money the same as the rest of you did. I own my S2 license. LFS is a race sim, not a crash sim. I'm using it the way the developers intended, so why should I be unable to do that properly without some muppet running me off the track when I'm trying to test something?
never said about racing on the roads, that would be silly. Just get out there and drive around

The thing is, we all paid money for the licenses, and I think if people want to have a crash there are servers which allow it, if the 'noobs' crash in proper leagues and racing servers then by all means ban them but whilst you do that point them towards the banger racing servers or sumo server. The game has a great damage modelling thing going on, and IMO it should be put to good use
The game's damage model isn't great - I've never seen real cars bend to the angles they do in LFS But the suspension is pretty well done.

It's all to do with the implied "correct" usage, which crashing isn't any more than cruising or drifting are. You can do both of them certainly, but it's not what the software was actually intended for.

So while nobody other than a server admin can demand that you stop crashing, you also have no comeback if you end up getting banned because someone wasn't happy with it.

Technically it could be considered disruption and possibly harrassment (at a slight stretch) which are against nearly any online community rules. So on your own head be it. I'll keep voting to kick or ban anyone who causes trouble for anyone trying to drive properly.
Quote from dontpannic :If you have finished, you aren't racing any more and I don't see why you get so angry if someone crashes you after the race. It hasn't affected your position, or am I missing something...?

Well, my wheel has cost quite an amount of money, and I intent to use it for a longer period of time... That means I'd be happy if some idiot would NOT crash into me post race because he thinks it's funny, causing my wheel to jerk quite violently (often up to the lock, as I almost always park somewhere in the grass, letting go of the wheel to chat about the race)...

Nothing to do with any lost position, it just put unnecessary strain on everyones hardware, while it serves no purpose whatsoever - it's just retarded to do and very annoying if you are on the receiving end...
Quote from bbman :Well, my wheel has cost quite an amount of money, and I intent to use it for a longer period of time... That means I'd be happy if some idiot would NOT crash into me post race because he thinks it's funny, causing my wheel to jerk quite violently (often up to the lock, as I almost always park somewhere in the grass, letting go of the wheel to chat about the race)...

Nothing to do with any lost position, it just put unnecessary strain on everyones hardware, while it serves no purpose whatsoever - it's just retarded to do and very annoying if you are on the receiving end...

Then use less FF.
Your error - not mine. Or you can of course play single player too.
Quote from The Very End :Then use less FF.
Your error - not mine. Or you can of course play single player too.

And so can the people who want to crash into everyone. At least doing that to the AI won't piss anyone off.

Intended usage again.
Or people can pit or go to spec mode?
This has allways been in LFS, and I allways laugh when people / I get banned for hitting someone after finish. Ofc, going backwards is not the same thing, but hitting a car on grass and watch it flying is quite amusing, and beeing banned for that is just silly, no matter how you look on it. It's a lot of things you can do to avoid it, keep the serious things to race, and let people be kids after race.
Hitting someone who is also trying to hit you is a little different to "race end mayhem". I have no problem messing around with someone if they're messing around with me. But when that becomes a noholds barred event taking out everyone else on the track, it's beyond a joke.
People do test setups and some actually want to drive between races. After all, it is a racing simulator. You can crash til the cows come home, but if someone wants to test something and you're screwing them up, that's unfair.
Quote from Dajmin :Hitting someone who is also trying to hit you is a little different to "race end mayhem". I have no problem messing around with someone if they're messing around with me. But when that becomes a noholds barred event taking out everyone else on the track, it's beyond a joke.
People do test setups and some actually want to drive between races. After all, it is a racing simulator. You can crash til the cows come home, but if someone wants to test something and you're screwing them up, that's unfair.

I'll see the point about testing setups, but still - isn't that the purpose of single player? In multiplayer you equipt your best set, and drives on the limit to chase the win, the work on the car should be done either in practice servers or single player, since most servers are instant fun - meaning, you join and you race, thats it.
Offline is definitely the best place for testing, but if someone has sent you a setup or you changed a setting because of something you only found out due to the way other players drive, you need to just do the testing as quickly as possible so you can get back on-track and competing again.
Quote from The Very End :Your error - not mine. Or you can of course play single player too.

I can't tell here whether you're trying to be funny, or just actually being incredibly boorish.
i think this would be amazing+5
Quote from STROBE :I can't tell here whether you're trying to be funny, or just actually being incredibly boorish.

Think the last one suits me better
#68 - Dac
i actually enjoy parking up and chatting at the end. after all the serious business of racing it gives you a chance to relax and mess about for a few mins before the next race starts. people seem to be alot more friendly in the next race.
yea i think that would be great

Stopping end-race mayhem
(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG