The online racing simulator
Vector/Vexel artists here?
(20 posts, started )
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any other Vector/Vexel artists here? I know there's a few lurking after seeing LFS vectors. I saw we've already got a topic for photography, why not vectors/vexels too?

To kick the ball rolling:

Original Photo on the gameboy by C. Zahn - Copyright.
Well CA0Z is good with vectors...
So, is all that done with the pen tool etc?

Looks really good
-
(bmwe30m3) DELETED by bmwe30m3
#4 - Ian.H
Very impressive!

I like doing vector work, mainly in illustrator these days, but it often tends to be more logo / design orientated.

Here's a really simple pic in comparison to yours that I did on FreeBSD a some years ago using (what was back then) Sodipodi

I'll try and find some more too, think they're on a CD after my HDD died a while back.

Regards,

Ian
Care to give a quick intro into what Vectors are in artistic terms?
#6 - JJ72
things made with path/shape etc, instead of bitmaps.

never been a vector guy, i am impressed with the gameboy.

here's something i did quite a while ago.
Attached images
venom.jpg
#7 - Ian.H
Quote from AstroBoy :Care to give a quick intro into what Vectors are in artistic terms?

The opposite to 'raster'

With raster images (ie: most graphics apps).. "paint" is applied on a pixel-by-pixel basis. With vectors, it's calculated mathematically using points rather than pixels. This gives a major advantage in design for potentially large scale applications as you can resize the image and the maths are recalculated and doesn't lose quality, whereas raster images, pixels either get resized, or pixels are added to fill gaps (depending on method) and will always look blurred when enlarged and can lose quality when shrunk too if shrunk small enough.

The tools are quite different with vector work though.. it's much easier to work with raster images for the likes of Jack's images (which IMO, makes them even better) due to certain filters and the ease of "chopping layers" etc whereas with vectors, if you want to do the same as using a marquee area to remove a section of an image, this has to be done with the scissors / knife tool and often the end result needs to be tweaked slightly (unless that's just me being crap, heh).

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :Very impressive!

I like doing vector work, mainly in illustrator these days, but it often tends to be more logo / design orientated.

Here's a really simple pic in comparison to yours that I did on FreeBSD a some years ago using (what was back then) Sodipodi

I'll try and find some more too, think they're on a CD after my HDD died a while back.

[snip]

Regards,

Ian

Looks good, for some reason I failt at doing the cartoon style vectors. I tried one yesterday and it looked totally crap. I'll try and do one of some pool balls later on and do a little comparison between your style and mine.

Had a go at the pool ball Ian, tried to make it look realistic.
Looks cool

Mine's a little bright overall making it look less realistic, but was an early attempt with a limited app.. yours looks much better and looks like it has some depth.

Didn't have access to this one at work, but a more recent image done with Illustrator

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :Looks cool

Mine's a little bright overall making it look less realistic, but was an early attempt with a limited app.. yours looks much better and looks like it has some depth.

Didn't have access to this one at work, but a more recent image done with Illustrator

Regards,

Ian

Looks pretty nice. I tried Illustrator at school for an hour and couldn't get into it at all. It took me about 30 minutes to do a few shapes where as that pool ball took me about 20 minutes in total on Photoshop 7. You ever tried using the pen tool on photoshop? Or just Illustrator?
Stop using blurred shading and glows on edges, it doesn't look good imo. You can make a proper vector illustration without, and use purely vector shapes and proper stepping techniques between reflections/highlights. Vexel doesn't always need to use such preset effects, you should typically do them by hand, and not around objects, else it will look like blurry 'love portraits' you get at the shopping mall.

And technically, a vector illustration is not 100% vector if you use such feathering. Each shape has to be crisp to be a 100% vector illustration. Yes it is still 'vector' on your program, but a vector print has a small amount of unique colors. Gradients within vector shapes are OK, but the problem with feathering and making shadows is if you want to increase the size of the entire artwork, those effects you made will change appearance, which shouldn't happen in any vector illustration.
Would you guys consider doing simple vector shapes for us to download and use on skins etc ?

Some of these vectors are very good, much better than I can do !

Equinox
Right so, is vectoring, like on Forza2 making "skins" with shapes etc, would a Forza player be considered on this forum as a vector whore?
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Right so, is vectoring, like on Forza2 making "skins" with shapes etc, would a Forza player be considered on this forum as a vector whore?

Vectoring isn't just putting shapes together to make stuff. Its drawing out a design using a vector tool, which stores a mathematical version of the coordinates. In idiot terms - it remembers where the points go in relation to each other, it doesn't just draw all the pixels and forget about it.
Im a total idiot when it comes to things like this, what happened to the good ol@ fashioned pen and paper Have you got an explenation that is below idiot terms? Maybe i will understand then, in text speak please i might understand more

/jks
Looking at your first image (still the best gamepad ever designed IMNSHO) I don't get how those shadows are described as vectors. I'd have to assume they're not vector data at all?
#18 - JJ72
you can add feather in vector programmes
Quote from mcintyrej :Looks pretty nice. I tried Illustrator at school for an hour and couldn't get into it at all. It took me about 30 minutes to do a few shapes where as that pool ball took me about 20 minutes in total on Photoshop 7. You ever tried using the pen tool on photoshop? Or just Illustrator?

When I work in PS, I normally use the pen tool for a lot of the work.. really depends on what I'm designing but normally makes any future manipulation easier if you keep the created shape. Things like skinning, I prefer to use Illustrator as I can shift points in smaller values than whole pixels which normally helps with creating sharper lines

Regards,

Ian
Quote from mcintyrej :Vectoring isn't just putting shapes together to make stuff. Its drawing out a design using a vector tool, which stores a mathematical version of the coordinates. In idiot terms - it remembers where the points go in relation to each other, it doesn't just draw all the pixels and forget about it.

Do you think you could do racing helmets in vector?
Like Kimi's or Lewis's.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG