The online racing simulator
Disable layout "stealing"
(47 posts, closed, started )
+1

As someone who makes layouts a lot, I would like this feature, or at least have a feature like: "Allow LYT downloads"
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :+1

As someone who makes layouts a lot, I would like this feature, or at least have a feature like: "Allow LYT downloads"

your idea is not bad Server Owner like Krammeh should have an option in their server to disable lyt saving,Admins shouldn't be able to allow it!

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Ah but for those of us with hi-res it ain't too bad Big grin

Yh i agree but,im sure that if you see that the skin is private you won't keep it for you and you'll let it there,like im doing
and those who want to steal skins got to know how to convert DDS to JPG and it is not everyone that know that!
Quote from Krammeh :

but this poses a "threat" to the people that don't want to "release" their layout(s).

Very simple solution if you don't want to release a layout: don't put it online.

I don't really understand why "ownership" of a layout needs to be protected. Apart from assuaging an infantile need on the part of the maker to receive continuous praise and approval, the only other reason I can see would be to prevent competitors from gaining advantage by learning a course before a competition.

But again, this is easily prevented by not putting it online before the competition starts.

Duh?
Quote from nihil :...But again, this is easily prevented by not putting it online before the competition starts.

Duh?

If that was the case, Maybe that idea would work. Its for his cruise server though, So he doesnt want people stealing it. Shrug
Quote from Woz :<sarcasm>Yes, lets add another really pointless feature and slow down dev/testing even further, that would be a great</sarcasm>

Is it REALLY a problem?

Nobody is charging money for their skin/layout so why else would you want the protection?

+1

You can't be precious about stuff you're putting on the internets. If you're really that upset about people "stealing" your content, take them to court.
Quote from mcgas001 :If that was the case, Maybe that idea would work. Its for his cruise server though, So he doesnt want people stealing it. Shrug

So what, single player cruise practise is forbidden now? What else are you going to do with a cruise layout?
Quote from mcgas001 :If that was the case, Maybe that idea would work. Its for his cruise server though, So he doesnt want people stealing it. Shrug

No one is currently stealing it: it is available for free. What he wants is to turn those people into "thieves". He's being daft....
Quote from Bob Smith :So what, single player cruise practise is forbidden now? What else are you going to do with a cruise layout?

Put it into your cruising server and claim that it is your layout.

What comes to offline usage of these cruising layouts: Sure, I have downloaded them and I have practiced driving. It is much safer to practice offline than to go to the server and cause hazardous situations.
Quote from Bob Smith :So what, single player cruise practise is forbidden now? What else are you going to do with a cruise layout?

Quote from Gekkibi :Put it into your cruising server and claim that it is your layout.

Jesus bob, Wheres your brain today? Uh-hu
I am strongly opposed to the idea of protecting layouts, it's just silly. Layouts should really be for adding small customisations to racing tracks, and having a bit of fun. The fact that it's easy to save a layout is a good thing about LFS IMO. The fact that people are taking the novelty severs seriously enough to worry about this kind of thing is almost as sad as the fact that people are starting up clone servers, just little kids bitching.
Quote from ajp71 :I am strongly opposed to the idea of protecting layouts, it's just silly. Layouts should really be for adding small customisations to racing tracks, and having a bit of fun. The fact that it's easy to save a layout is a good thing about LFS IMO. The fact that people are taking the novelty severs seriously enough to worry about this kind of thing is almost as sad as the fact that people are starting up clone servers, just little kids bitching.

Okay then, if thats the case. I'll go through my skins_x folder, and start using all your skins, edit them slightly in MS Paint, and use them as if they are mine.

Afterall, LFS has added skins, just to add a little bit of novelty to the cars.
Krammeh has a point. But still, even the saving of layouts would be prevented, what prevents someone to copy the layout from "layouts_x" folder, just like skins from skins_x folder?
Quote from Krammeh :Okay then, if thats the case. I'll go through my skins_x folder, and start using all your skins, edit them slightly in MS Paint, and use them as if they are mine.

Far as I'm concerned, what I said before still applies: you make a skin that you want to keep private, then don't use it online. Keep it private.

I don't know why people get so hysterical about this... vanity I guess, but encoding vanity into otherwise perfectly functional software is frankly neurotic.
Quote from nihil :Far as I'm concerned, what I said before still applies: you make a skin that you want to keep private, then don't use it online. Keep it private.

I don't know why people get so hysterical about this... vanity I guess, but encoding vanity into otherwise perfectly functional software is frankly neurotic.

You write a really good blog post, on your blog.

Someone copy's and pastes it, should you be offended? Would you say "if you didn't want someone to 'steal' it, then you should not have put it online"
So what's your point. People go to way too much effort to prevent stealing, and in all the wrong ways too. Just look at music, films and games. Goes for anything electronic really. If somebody is pathetic enough to steal it and claim it as their own work, then deal with it afterwards. No point restricting genuine usage because of a few wankers.
Quote from Krammeh :You write a really good blog post, on your blog.

Someone copy's and pastes it, should you be offended? Would you say "if you didn't want someone to 'steal' it, then you should not have put it online"

I might be annoyed, and I might write about that person and what a feckless arse I believe them to be, but I sure as hell wouldn't write to Tim Berners-Lee and the browser manufacturers and ask them to make it so web pages can't be copied to the clipboard because I need to protect my precious blog.

That's basically what you're doing.
Quote from Bob Smith :So what's your point. People go to way too much effort to prevent stealing, and in all the wrong ways too. Just look at music, films and games. Goes for anything electronic really. If somebody is pathetic enough to steal it and claim it as their own work, then deal with it afterwards. No point restricting genuine usage because of a few wankers.

Well said Wink

No point wasting the devs' time on fixes, it will happen anyway Shrug
#43 - Woz
<sarcasm>Please please add DRM to LFS to protect skins and layouts. It worked so well for music, games and video. Everyone is always happy with DRM because it helps protect us the user and never causes problems.</sarcasm>

No DRM system has actually ever worked. Even the two layer shite that makes Blueray so slow in operation has been fully broken and the disks can be copied. If the likes of Sony and Microsoft can't make DRM work with the huge deep pockets and resources they have does ANYONE here believe the LFS devs have the time and money to make it work for pointless stuff like skins and layouts.

NO to more DRM in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from Krammeh :Okay then, if thats the case. I'll go through my skins_x folder, and start using all your skins, edit them slightly in MS Paint, and use them as if they are mine.

Afterall, LFS has added skins, just to add a little bit of novelty to the cars.

Skins are used as part of racing, LFS is a racing simulator, complicated layouts are not needed for racing, therefore skins should be protected and layouts shouldn't. TBH though if your layout is the only reason people choose your server over all the others and will happily jump to somebody else's sever it probably doesn't say a lot about your server Wink
-removed-

Lock please
Buhbye.
#47 - SamH
This thread is closed

Disable layout "stealing"
(47 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG