The online racing simulator
Need a safetycar driver?
(25 posts, started )
#1 - Phill
Need a safetycar driver?
Well.. im not really sure this would contribute to the whole scene at all. I just read in another thread that a safetycar driver was needed so i figured that a thread like this, where drivers who wanted to drive safety cars for various leagues, could post, would help organizing this. And thereby announce that their're available and free.

We would have to create somekind of licence test to make sure that the specific driver had the ability to control the various cars. We could even benchmark a certain car as being the official SafetyCar. (A skin could be created as the OFFICIAL safetycar skin)

The test could be as simple as completing the lessons in LFS or we could make something more advance. When you've been approved by the "commitee" who organizes these test and approve the various drivers, a tag would be created and put under your name (i've seen them with "artistic medal" or something like that. As a proove that you've completed the license test.

Im also thinking that the race leader. (host in most cases) if posible could connect to a certain Teamspeak channel, where the safetycar driver aswell would be connected. Just for better coordination while on the track.

We also need to select a comitee, as mentioned above. That and whole lot of other stuff will be looked at later. Firstly we need to see if it has any potential.

A second thing that would be needed is the fact that not everybody in here lives in america, or europe. Im talking about the different leagues that are held at different timezones. So when the driver signs up for the license test he should announce what country he's from. so he wont be assigned to an american leagues when he lives in switzerland!

Let me hear what you think!

[mods you may edit this thread if the tittle isn't appropiate.
Well, first of all, i'm not sure there is a need for a safety car driver. It is very hard to crash your car so hard you can't continue. And if you can't continue you just shift+s or quit the race.
Secondly, most league admins prolly know someone they can trust. A safetycar driver doesn't have to be very fast.

I vote for RB4 to be safetycar =)
#3 - Phill
hm.. well.. ok... i just thought it had some potential... guess not..
I think it has. Racing leagues can make 2 safety cars for races. 1) safety car that would lead the active drivers and 2) a pusher car that would lead a severely crashed vehicle to pit lane (to let it repair). This can make sense in long races.
What he said
Can I be a safety car driver ?

:woohoo: Post #100!!!!
the more i think about it, the more i see potential in this, especially in long races
i can think of a few scenerios -

a car is stuck in sand, you are driving hard and your tyres is getting hot, the safety car comes out inorder for them to safely remove the bogged car (ie pushing it out), and you have time to let your tyres have a breather, conversly, your tyres may get too cold, and you need to once again work your way into race rhythm.

perhaps also like in real racing, pitting while safetycar is out, so that you lose the least amount of track position with the stop, this also adds to sum 'luck' or random factor in a race, should i pit now? or hold on a few more laps for a safety car etc
I'd love to see a safety car in LFS, but I think it would be difficult to do it with live racers. You would need quite a lot of admins/safety personnel to monitor the race as you wouldn't know when to pull out the pace car with only 1 or 2 people watching. If you had a "safety crew" made up of several people, then the whole track could be watched for spins, accidents, and run-off's. In longer races though, a safety car would be cool as the field would tighten back up for good racing and good strategy as chensta pointed out-with pitstop strategy during caution periods. I think to be realistic and effective though, you would need too many people to watch the race and make the caution decisions in order to not miss any. I've never used the race manager program, so perhaps could it be utilized to announce a caution period so the race didn't have to be watched so closely for them? I don't know.
How about if the pits rev limiter (speed limiter) was automatically caused to be engaged in all the race cars as soon as the safety car was brought out? Then a 5 sec countdown triggered when it went back again, before speed limiter was disengaged?
hmmm....that would be weird....the field wont be bunched up, i think its best to just trust the drivers - think of it as a mid race rolling start

as for monitoring, wouldnt be hard, all u need is a bind for each driver "Caution, Safety Car Required', the race admin can then either do 'Safety Car out' or 'Ignored'. This way the 1 admin can simply jump to the car in trouble
ofcourse right now this will be for leagues only, as they usually contain a certain level of race organisation, how it could be implemented to be *automated* in the future could be like this.

Instead of an actual safety car, instead ONLY the lead driver gets the limiter - maybe around 100-120km/h, all drivers behind can then bunch up, if they cross the car infront they get a warning like a blue flag, but with countdown 10-1, at 5 seconds if you have not corrected position, its a stop-go, if after 10 seconds u r ahead, its a disqualify

the only prob i see if u crash at 100km/h (n0000bs!), and lose places......
Quote from Lola Popeye :the only prob i see if u crash at 100km/h (n0000bs!), and lose places......

Hey, some of my best crashes have been at well under 100 kmh!
I'm gladly driving a safety car if someone needs it!

About the safetycar, I think it should be one of the GTR's
I can drive the "Rescue Safety-Car" if one is needed.

Safety-car should be one of the GTR's like Go-carter said.
"Rescue Safety-Car" is obviously the one that quickest can get out of the sand... (FXR or RB4)
AHAHHAHAHA, dude once ur bogged in ur screwed and ur races over no time to ruin the rest of every1s race just for a rescue car to bump another car outa of the kitty litter. LOL
Hi,

Just a short one the say the CRC has successfully used Safety and rescue cars in its Events.

It works well, there was one driver and two marshalls / race director.

People need to have patients with it tho, they need to respect the track rules too.
Yeh i see how it could kinda be useful,
But if you had just got about 60% of the way into an enduro
race and some guy from the back pack spun into a sand trap would you want to bunch bak up and lose all the ground you have made up, Bunching the pack back up again in a race after a start is only going to cause another crash. But hey CRC is different, in AAL if you crash and or spin into the sand its called " get out of the race" so you have to spec.

This makes races go faster and cleaner, without having trashed cars blocking the tracks.
Youll need a safety car skin
#19 - Jakg
Quote from Unaimed :Well, first of all, i'm not sure there is a need for a safety car driver. It is very hard to crash your car so hard you can't continue. And if you can't continue you just shift+s or quit the race.
Secondly, most league admins prolly know someone they can trust. A safetycar driver doesn't have to be very fast.
I vote for RB4 to be safetycar =)

if they shift + s they lose all their laps, we just have certain a rule on when the safety car is required, if your car can move, but at a miniscule speed, then you probably need a helping hand, and if your car becomes stuck in the sand we can send a car over to help you out, out of interest, what are the best cars to get out of the sand in?

Quote from Lola Popeye :ofcourse right now this will be for leagues only, as they usually contain a certain level of race organisation, how it could be implemented to be *automated* in the future could be like this.

Instead of an actual safety car, instead ONLY the lead driver gets the limiter - maybe around 100-120km/h, all drivers behind can then bunch up, if they cross the car infront they get a warning like a blue flag, but with countdown 10-1, at 5 seconds if you have not corrected position, its a stop-go, if after 10 seconds u r ahead, its a disqualify

the only prob i see if u crash at 100km/h (n0000bs!), and lose places......

a. Love your avatar! that should defianyely be a car in S3!
B. what if someone pushes me over the line or the leader lags?
VT thats the point, complete randomness, u dont see in real racing them not bring out the safety car for a backmarker 90% of the time they cause them so dunno wtf ure on about
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :I was in a CRC event which had a safety car, and it was the only car to actually hit me.

Lol..
Why not just have everyone run LFS tweak S2 when it comes out, and then the safety car would have 40 inch wheels and wouldnt get bogged down!
#23 - Vain
A safety car would be nice for flying starts.
Introduction lap, safety car into pits, start/finish line and right pedal .
Of course this would need after-race auditing of the replay, to see wether someone disobeyed the rules.

Vain
A thumbs up for such a great Idea
I will defenitly could use a safty car for our TV competitions, Great idea so mean while we take care of the accident on track the safty car will ensure the drivers will packed again incresing the level of competition all I have read are good points to make it look more realistic speaking in terms of official comptitions.

Yeah, Good idea to have a safety car but only really worth it for big races. It could be complicated to implement though.

It's easy to get bogged in the sand once you're in there and It's not the way I'd like to end an enduro. But if you're car is damaged badly and you can't get back to pit safely, it's not realistic to get a push back to the pits, but will mean you can keep racing, and for rolling starts it's obviously the way to go.

Need a safetycar driver?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG