The online racing simulator
A "different" test patch...
(23 posts, started )
Hello hosters.

You may be interested in this new test patch.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=41861

It works a bit differently as you'll see whan you read the patch notes.

/mode=demo /mode=s1 /mode=s2 still work but they don't really put the host into a completely different mode.
Instead these options just restrict the content. All hosts appear in the S2 list of hosts.

Any of these will prevent demo racers from joining your host :

- Allowing non-demo cars
- Allowing more than 12 cars in race
- Allowing more than 15 guests
- Selecting any track other than Blackwood
- Loadng a layout
#2 - wild
Looks pretty Nifty Scawen Shall be nice to use

Thank You
Is there any chance that you would let DEMO accounts use layouts?
And by that effectively giving them a huge load of even more content? What would be the purpose of that?
Quote from AndroidXP :And by that effectively giving them a huge load of even more content? What would be the purpose of that?

Things like marshalling restrictions would be very useful in the demo, for instance. I'm not for giving the demo users blanket abilities to use layouts, but some of the place-able "objects" would be rather handy.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Things like marshalling restrictions would be very useful in the demo, for instance. I'm not for giving the demo users blanket abilities to use layouts, but some of the place-able "objects" would be rather handy.

For example blocking Blackwood chikane with marshalls
In fact, layouts with only marshall circles are allowed, just no actual objects.

Objects would allow so many possibilities, that's not the idea of the demo.
Quote from Krammeh :Is there any chance that you would let DEMO accounts use layouts?

No NOT demo cruisers please
Perhaps that would be the best place for them...
Perhaps it would make people want to buy the full edition of the game so they can carry on their "game", and then they will get bored of crusin' as we all do - then go onto racing.

Thats all I was thinking, to try and help LFS out, but whatever, **** you all
no need for the attitude krammeh. Nobody in this thread has even remotely had a go at you. you have received an infraction for your trouble
Quote from Scawen :In fact, layouts with only marshall circles are allowed, just no actual objects.

Objects would allow so many possibilities, that's not the idea of the demo.

ok, so may i ask how i would set up a marshal on my demo servers to stop racers from using the gap in the BL1 chicane? do i make a layout myself and upload it as BL1_.lyt? i've tried going myself on the server to place an object, but as usual i'm not able to, so i would guess the procedure would be like above?

EDIT: just tested that, so that obviously doesn't work. the demo server just ignores the layout.

EDIT 2: <VENT> i need to vent, so i thought i'd do it here and not open a new thread. my demo server was still Y patch as there were people on it, and didn't want to boot them off. some really good racing on there with XFG @ BL1, was cool to see the demoers behaving. then when i connect up, just to watch a little, this guy immediately asks to be banned, as he's flying down the back straight at like 200mph. yeah, brake hack. so, /ban 999. and he comes back, /ban 999, and he comes back. he obviously knew how to get his modem to get a new IP, but i still don't see the point in doing this other than wanting to be an attention whore. so after awhile, i gave up, gave a message to the other nice racers about the one spoiler of the server, and changed it to Y18. hopefully some pre-Y18 racers register and come back.</VENT>
Quote from burnsy1882 :ok, so may i ask how i would set up a marshal on my demo servers to stop racers from using the gap in the BL1 chicane? do i make a layout myself and upload it as BL1_.lyt? i've tried going myself on the server to place an object, but as usual i'm not able to, so i would guess the procedure would be like above?

does /axload work when youre logged in as an admin or right in the dedi console?
Quote from Shotglass :does /axload work when youre logged in as an admin or right in the dedi console?

no, and i don't have access to the dedi console, 500servers.
Hi Burnsy.

I think i know what the problem is. i have just been doing some tests and the theory seems correct.

Basically, you need to set the host to S1 or S2 mode (which can be seen fine and joined by Demo users as long as the combo's are right..)

you can also use the Shift + U and / or /axload options to add a marshall where you need it.

This will only work if the host is set to S1 or S2 mode.

If you choose any layout objects other than a marshall the Demo user(s) would get kicked, but you can lay marshalls fine.

Let me know if what i have written here makes no sense and i'll come and join your server to show you what i mean.

basically..
Demo mode will not allow settings to be changed outside of the demo criteria .. so if you done the command /maxguests 32 it would still only give 15 slots... etc/
S1 mode will only allow settings that fit into the criteria of S1 content.. so /cars all will only enable demo + S1 cars
S2 mode will allow all.

That was a bit of a shady area for me on how that worked. but now i have done some testing i understand.

as said below by Scawen, it does not matter which mode it is set on so long as the content is still limited to what would normally be allowed on a demo host.
yup, that worked. thanks.
OK, yes, I'm pleased you worked that out and it seems OK... I confirm demo mode hosts cannot load a layout (even if it's a demo-legal layout).

But you can start in S1/S2 mode and load a layout - with the setting /select=no so guests can't change track - or use a tracks file to limit the tracks, still allowing guests to choose between BL tracks.

In other words, even if /mode=s1 or /mode=s2 you can still keep the host demo legal by manually limiting the selections.
actually, all i did was setup some marshal circles, without the actual marshals, in that chicane area and named the layout BL1_.lyt. that way it's loaded anytime it gets to that track.
so at least there is more than one way of doing it .

Just to confirm burnsy, you loaded a demo-legal layout (marshals) on a server set to demo mode by using the /axload command.. or did you change the server mode to S1 / S2?
S1/2, i tried /axload, /axlist, etc, etc on demo. they don't work on, at least as far as i can tell, on a demo server, as they rightfully shouldn't. but yes, i went to single-player, added two restricted area, invisible marshals to that inside part of the chicane, then renamed it to BL1_.lyt. uploaded, then connected and tested it out. worked just fine.

while in there, if you go to place other objects, the original marshals do not show up. kinda odd, but as long as it works, no biggie. it's too bad this functionality wasn't available for demo servers pre-Y18.
I don't understand why there are manualy selectable demo/s1/s2 modes after all the changes. LFS now decides itself. Why do you still need it?

There shoud be a thing like:
You prepare your host settings, then when you start it it writes you a line for example : Host runs in DEMO mode.

or

S1/S2 racers able to join the host.
It's an easy way to make a host definitely suitable for demo or S1 mode, without the need to specify a tracks file and being carefull with number of guests, etc. With a single option all the restrictions are implemented.

If you don't like it, just use /mode=S2. There will be a few hundred hosts set up with /mode=demo because several people will want to start hosts specifically to allow demo racers to go online and will not want guests to be able to switch to other tracks.
I see. Thanks!

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG