The online racing simulator
Recommended online driver behaviour page
Very cool read. I especially liked the section on corner rights. This is something that most new racers should read twice .
Yes I remember reading this when I got GPL.
And yes these cornering rules would help avoid so many crashes,and arguments.

John
Quote from TheRealEddie :This is something that most new racers should read twice .

Just twice
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Yeah was a good read
If all those principles were put into place racing would be...lets just say very different to how it is now
Speaking of close racing and giving other racers room where its needed Fordman and I had a brilliant race last night on So Sprint 1 with the XFG.
Was neck and neck racing which was most enjoyable with zero bumping or collisions

Heart was racing a little at the end too
Use Clear Body Language. If someone is following you closely looking for a place to pass, and you kind of drift along with ambiguous movements about the track, or you sort of close the door but still leave the inside line half open, then you just might unintentionally lure the following car to try a pass that's only half on. Alternatively, if as soon as a following car gets anywhere near your rear quarter coming up to a corner, and while they are still in your mirrors, you make a firm and clear movement towards the inside line, and stick there, then they will know that your intentions are to close the door and drive the defensive inside line. Such a clear defensive move will leave them in no doubt not to try a risky inside pass.

Dang, about 0.3 percent of LFS racers understands that.
Quote from spankmeyer :...
Dang, about 0.3 percent of LFS racers understands that.

Or the rest 99.7% just misses the apex
That is the way to drive, but i admit i'll never drive that good haha, the racing is so good in lfs its all impossible to not get all over someone sometimes... and if you pair yourself with the correct people it ussually works out, if it doesnt, gota brush it off, not get upset.

Its the bonzi runs and rude driving that needs to find its way to exit right..
#10 - Jakg
rough translation:
just make sure you dont make it look as though you want them to get past when you dont!
Quote from Hyperactive :Or the rest 99.7% just misses the apex

I love missing the apex, makes me feel alive.
This text should be added to the term's and agreement's before buying LFS

John
#13 - Vain
Then nobody would read it.

Vain
Quote :But, as often happens, the Lotus sees this empty zone along the inside and thinks they can zoom up into it, probably believing this to be the move of a talented racing genius.

Priceless.

I read this page a few years ago when I first played GPL, but I think it remains one of the best available guides to racing etiquette. Re-reading the section on GPL's blind spots, I wonder whether the devs were inspired by this page when implementing LFS's sideways look function.
But I still must say that there are many good and fair drivers who play it fair and know where the limits are.
Indeed a very good guide a must read for every lfs newbie. Although i never really understood why the need for such a guide as really its commonsense (to me anyway) but i guess there are the few who have no idea how to race.

I myself am always aware about the racers around me, when i race i never use the look to the right and left buttons, i only use the look back and thats all i need. When racing u kinda subconciously know where abouts the other racer is. Recently i had a league race in which we raced at blackwood and i found myself heading towards the chicane side by side with another racer so i left enough room for him to fit and he left room for me to fit. I know that racing in a league is different from public servers but to me its still commonsense to race like that.

On public servers ive yet really to encounter the usual lfs idiot but i am sure I will one day.

The clip posted above is a good example tho.... breaking late into a corner when u know u are too far back is silly. Maybe some kind of driving school should be implemented into lfs instaed of the test we have in s2 at the mo

btw i always found really long articles booring to read so how many newbies u think will actually make their way through it all....

mad
It's mostly all common sense, but it should be required reading for anyone wanting to race open wheelers online. Tin tops are entirely different beasts and people should expect a little bit of push and shove on the road courses at times.
Common sense is different thing in NFS, in Gran Turismo and in LFS
Quote from WorldFamous :It's mostly all common sense, but it should be required reading for anyone wanting to race open wheelers online. Tin tops are entirely different beasts and people should expect a little bit of push and shove on the road courses at times.

A little push and shove is ok, as long as the one pushing and shoving you knows how and you expect it, that is close racing. It's when the pushing and shoving done by someone pushes you straight off the track that is the problem. I try my hardest to have track awareness and to leave room inside/outside when I know someone is even close (I don't have to see him up beside me, I try to leave room.) The last thing I want to do is to push someone off the track, but it seems not many agree with this.

That last statement may be influenced by the fact that I've been racing in the demo lately!
Pushing and shoving is something I take major exception to. Its a good way to put someone into the wall and it does happen IRL.

In LFS it just means you are going to spin someone out. A little tap becomes a huge tap when lag enters the picture.
Quote from WorldFamous :It's mostly all common sense, but it should be required reading for anyone wanting to race open wheelers online. Tin tops are entirely different beasts and people should expect a little bit of push and shove on the road courses at times.

I agree with Eddie (see above). Sure, in real touring cars / stock cars on a real track, some contact is expected and tolerated. But I think that online racers need to be cleaner than clean due to the dangers of lag. It is impossible to guarantee that your "little tap" won't send the other guy into the sand. Therefore don't do it.
#22 - J.B.
GPL is harder to pass/drive wheel 2 wheel than LFS.
(blind spots and bias ply tires probably! )
But-
Thats a great referance for people to read and understand.
If you're driving a SIM why not act like it all the time!?

I enjoy good racing but those first corners still get hairy from time to time!
Quote from J.B. :For those of you who are like me too lazy to read the guide here is a short video about clean racing from the Movies Pit:

http://www.lfsnews.net/moviespit/default.asp?movieid=71

Good Vid!, never seen that one before, I think it would be cool to have something similar built-in to LFS, Something like a replay, With commentary in much the same way, explaining the wrongs and rights of racing, it would help improve driving standards a bit. A lot of the bad condudct we see out there is due to ignorance. but if you make such a replay mandatory viewing, there's no excuse, and at least the noobs are gonna know whats expected of them.

Would help if the AI didn't wreck constantly. they're not setting a very good example

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG