The online racing simulator
PS3 > Linux > XP > LFS ?
(30 posts, started )
PS3 > Linux > XP > LFS ?
Hello

Would lfs work on the PS3 with Windows XP emulated on linux ?

Thank's
it might but sure as heck youd be lucky to get 2 digit framerates
Or you could just run it with Wine in Linux - why complicate it by emulating Windows?
you cant use wine because a ps3 isnt the least litte bit x86 compatible
Oh right, didn't see the PS3 bit of that... should read more carefully
So impossible ?
Never hurts to try?
but I heard thaht Sony have blocked the graphique ship on other OS
Quote from RAM0011 :but I heard thaht Sony have blocked the graphique ship on other OS

Where there is a programmer there is a way.
I suspose it would be possible to put on the system, but not to play. The PS3's nor xbox's processors are not powerful enough to play LFS, due to the massive ammount of calculations it has to do. The processors just cant keep up!
One moment... why do you want LFS in your PS3? For playing with the gamepad?
Quote from NitroNitrous :One moment... why do you want LFS in your PS3? For playing with the gamepad?

you could use your wheels also.
Sorry but I can´t see what advantages you can gain playing LFS on a PS3
when i'm in marocco I can't take my PC there
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I suspose it would be possible to put on the system, but not to play. The PS3's nor xbox's processors are not powerful enough to play LFS, due to the massive ammount of calculations it has to do. The processors just cant keep up!

What planet are you on today?
#17 - wien
Quote from JamesF1 :What planet are you on today?

For single thread raw computing power (the kind of load you see in LFS) he's right on the money. Heck, even for multi threaded computing a cheap quad core would murder the Xbox 360 processor. The Cell is a bit better, but requires a complete code rewrite to take properly advantage of. Even then, not all workloads can reasonaby take advantage of its power.

LFS' graphics load should be easily doable on the consoles though, but that doesn't do much good if the processors can't keep up.
Could put an older version of LFS on there...but I doubt anyone is playing them...
Quote from wien :For single thread raw computing power (the kind of load you see in LFS) he's right on the money. Heck, even for multi threaded computing a cheap quad core would murder the Xbox 360 processor. The Cell is a bit better, but requires a complete code rewrite to take properly advantage of. Even then, not all workloads can reasonaby take advantage of its power.

LFS' graphics load should be easily doable on the consoles though, but that doesn't do much good if the processors can't keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I understand completely that it's rather useless in terms of raw processing power, but the comment was more directed at the analysis of what is an entirely pointless problem.

Comparing the performance of something on a system for which it is designed to the performance of the same thing on an entirely different system is not a fair (or, indeed, useful) comparison at all. It's apples and oranges.
suspose i should have been abit more clear.

LFS is only able use one core, as i am sure you know. Now, the xbox's processor is 3ghz, and the ps3's is about the same, yet granted a little higher. The xbox's processor is a 3-core system, and the Ps3's is a 8-core system. Now, divide 3ghz into 8 cores, and get the total of ONE core. Then you will see why i said it wont run. As said before, the ps3 will handle the graphics part of LFS no problemo. As for the processing part, its a no-go im afraid!
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :suspose i should have been abit more clear.

LFS is only able use one core, as i am sure you know. Now, the xbox's processor is 3ghz, and the ps3's is about the same, yet granted a little higher. The xbox's processor is a 3-core system, and the Ps3's is a 8-core system. Now, divide 3ghz into 8 cores, and get the total of ONE core. Then you will see why i said it wont run. As said before, the ps3 will handle the graphics part of LFS no problemo. As for the processing part, its a no-go im afraid!

Wrong.
Its not 3Ghz/8, I'm not sure what the actual speed of the cores is, but it certainly isn't 375mhz per core.
#24 - Migz
CPU:
- PowerPC-base core @3.2GHz
- 1 VMX vector unit per core
- 512KB L2 cache
- 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
- 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
- 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE (1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy)
- total floating point performance 218 GFLOPS

dunno if that has how many cores in. but meh lol.
Quote from Migz :- 7 x SPE @3.2GHz

PS3 has an 8 core system, but only 7 are used while playing a game. The other one keeps the OS and stuff like that running in the background.

@ PB, my mistake about dividing the cpu into 8. I know it came across wrong, but my point was that LFS will most likely use one of the cores (if its even possible to run it on the ps3) and so unless one of the cores use's most of the mhz, then that core that LFS will use will be significantly less than the total 3.2ghz.

PS3 > Linux > XP > LFS ?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG