The online racing simulator
Fern bay cerbstones
(35 posts, started )

Poll : Lower the cerbstones on Fern bay?

No leave it the way it is?
Yes please!
My main gripe is the curbs in the chicanes. IRL taking them would damage your car, but in LFS you can take them full-throttle and gain lots of time (at the risk of taking out half the field).

Making them higher is not a good option, because FE would become too much of a stop-and-go track. Lowering the curbs is a possibility. But I prefer a change in the damage model so that you can take the curbs at most once or twice (otherwise you blow a tyre, bend the suspension, or lose a wing).

I have no problems with the curb height at the inside of turns (e.g. the 90 degree righthander in FE Club). Most of them can topple your car, which is at it should be.
#27 - Vain
Quote from duke_toaster :Rumour has it that some changes to the graphics engine that may be able to facilitate it may happen soon, but not in Patch Z.

Rumour has it that you're talking rubbish.
(just joking )

Sorry, but your post really needs some sort of source.

Vain
Quote from duke_toaster :Rumour has it that some changes to the graphics engine that may be able to facilitate it may happen soon, but not in Patch Z.

Maybe in Xmas 2009? after the Arctic and Antarctic language support... just kidding offcourse ..
I like them the wa they are. They add some real difficulty to the track.-1

The first thing I think of when i say Fern Bay is pot and high curbs.
Kerbs are NOT part of the track in real life. The track is defined as 'within the white lines', and kerbs are invariably outside of them.

Technically you are not meant to routinely use any kerb, even at the professional level. This rule is never tested in professional racing, but is occasionally in club racing (people being DQ'd for excess use of kerbs).

They are allowed to be used as an escape route - a bit more 'tarmac' to avoid an accident.

At the Nurburgring the kerbs are high even in a lot of places where you might want to use them. At the old Abbey kink at Silverstone the kerbs are about 6" high, with a 45° ramp angle - you don't want to use them!

So FB's kerbs are just fine, and a lot of LFS's kerbs are too forgiving.

Sounds like somebodies bullshitting to me. Any source of this (or even evidence of said rumors)?
Quote from tristancliffe :Kerbs are NOT part of the track in real life. The track is defined as 'within the white lines', and kerbs are invariably outside of them.

Technically you are not meant to routinely use any kerb, even at the professional level. This rule is never tested in professional racing, but is occasionally in club racing (people being DQ'd for excess use of kerbs).

They are allowed to be used as an escape route - a bit more 'tarmac' to avoid an accident.

This is true, but it's the racing driver's nature to find the shortest possible way round the track. It would be absurd to punish a driver for driving as fast as he can. If there were no curbs drivers would still use the shortest route, and thus cut the track.

Additionally, although we can't test it in LFS, the cerbs are extremely slippery in rain, so that's one more reason to take corners carefully. I guess cerbs are one of the things that you're driving skills are measured with. The braver you use them, taking more risks, the faster you go.
Only up to a point. If there were no kerbs then people might cut them a bit, but risk an accident as one tyre loses grip on the grass.

Drivers don't find the shortest route, because then they wouldn't go round chicanes, but across them, flat out. Remove the kerbs and people will stay more within the white lines. Kerbs are really there to a) give a bit of room for error and b) reduce the costs of having to re-grass the insides of corners. They are not there to make the tracks faster.

Kerbs can be slippery in the rain, but some aren't. The bravery is finding out which are which. In a road car kerbs are pretty much as grippy as the track. In an F1 car the difference is enough to class them as 'slippery'.
I guess Fern Bay's kerbs are quite fine the way they are.
They add to the diversity of the track, which is fine.
Fern Bay might be a slow track, but it is hard to master, with it's sharp curves, sudden elevation changes in corner, plus the high curves are part of this difficulty.

We can say that kerbs got two functions:
- The outside kerbs are a last resort or a way to gain more tarmac when entering and exiting, and their role is to put you back on the tarmac, for their lowest spot touches the track, it implies that it will reduce your bodyroll and cancel the understeering you are under.
- The inside kerbs are a way to prevent people from cutting through the corners. Indeed, when you take them too sharp, your bodyroll will increase, increasing your understeer and make you go back on track.

The one at Fern Bay are raised in order really to prevent you from your cutting options, but once you know pretty well your car and the effect of these high curves, with an appropriate entry and speed you can use unique lines in order to pass your opponent, even if the risk of rolling is around 50% or more depending on the car.
So take them like an investment : you decide to use a risky stuff which can make you crash, but that will also turn you faster... Few risk = few return on investment.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Maybe in Xmas 2009? after the Arctic and Antarctic language support... just kidding offcourse ..

Don't be ridiculous.....I heard from some bloke in the pub that Urdu and the Click language of the San Bushmen are next for development

So Eskimos have 147 different words for "snow" (urban myth, I know :tilt. I wonder how many they have for "noob" lol

No offence Devs, luvin the Y18 patch

Fern bay cerbstones
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG