The online racing simulator
Kawasaki's screamer engine
(27 posts, started )
Woah :eye-poppi
hoooooly Shité!
WoW:wtf2:
#5 - J@tko
I'm always one for a great engine noise.

Fantastic
wHOA, THATS NICE! Does sound like an F1 car on that straight
Now that is a bike engine =)

Anyone know how high they are revving these engines? That has to be into the 20k's
It must be near the 20k's, it bloody sounds like it.
MotoGp bikes are about 18000 RPMs average. So this might be around that too
I know someone that was that was at a track when Ducati was testing (they weren't supposed to be). Anyway Micheal Schumacher was testing their new bike (supposed to be top secret) and he was going 210mph on a track! Imagine just hitting a pebble or something at that speed on a bike
OMG thats an f1 engine in a moto lolol
Bikes have been revving pretty high for years, 14000+ isn't uncommon. And with this one those pipes will certainly help with the noise.

Sorry but it still doesn't really compete with the 50 year old, 190mph Guzzi 500cc V8. http://www.mgcycle.com/V8.html
( Not all the links work but u can download the IOM wav file )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... GFGwI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... aucvM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TG7f2imRQo&NR=1
MotoGP bikes these days are 800cc 4-cylinders in an inline or "V" configuration that typically rev up to about 18000+ RPM (last year Ducati was revving all the way up to 19250 RPM). Manufacturers have the option of different configurations and cylinder counts, but more cylinders means a higher minimum bike weight. They also run a 21 litre fuel tank that ends up being completely dry by the end of a race (no pitting except to swap to a bike with different tires, for example when the weather changes) so more cylinders could mean higher fuel consumption too. They already have to run pretty lean to keep consumption down.
Nice note, that.
Pneumatic valves on this one too i presume
The reason the note of this particular engine is so high is because of the even firing order of the cilinders in the engine. Today all manufacturers use the so-called big-bang firing order, where the cilinders are fired two at a time. The advantage of this is a more manageable torque output, but less peak power. Yamaha has been working on a screamer engine too, but have officially dropped the project. Kawi is the only manufacturer working on a screamer at the moment and they plan to use it in race before the end of the season.

BTW: The video is of Anthony West testing in Jerez.
Always loved kawasaki - and its been great to see John Hopkins moving the kwak up in the finshing order over the last three GPs. Will be fun when this thing gets out and into the pack... Its a gorgeous noise, but I'm guessing that any advantage the screamer has will be due to traction control... LOL, life's just like that: gives with one hand, takes with the other. You can have a great sounding engine, but you have to take a little control away from the rider!

Whatever, its interesting to see an off-track technology war brewing...
hoooly jesus:yikes: thats the way bike should sound like
No doubt the trumpet on the back helps to make that sound too (yeah, national pride bursting out of me )

EDIT:
Quote from Hoppers :The reason the note of this particular engine is so high is because of the even firing order of the cilinders in the engine. Today all manufacturers use the so-called big-bang firing order, where the cilinders are fired two at a time. The advantage of this is a more manageable torque output, but less peak power. Yamaha has been working on a screamer engine too, but have officially dropped the project. Kawi is the only manufacturer working on a screamer at the moment and they plan to use it in race before the end of the season.

BTW: The video is of Anthony West testing in Jerez.

How can the torque be more managable with big-banging? It would effectevely double the force at once and make the gap between the two larger. Logic would tell me that a screamer would be way more smoother. THough at 15-20k rpm the story is a bit different :>
I think the idea is you have the cylinders fire in rapid succession, and then there's a big (relatively speaking) lull in torque production which allows the tire to regain grip.

Whether or not it actually works this way I think may be beyond most people here.
It sounds like twaddle.

But crank twist, chain stretch, the action of rubber (hysteresis, internal damping, internal friction) and all sorts of other things that probably can't even be modelling in real time and remain, therefore, something only experience, testing and a good bit of guesswork can show.

So it's probably real. Otherwise they wouldn't do it
Quote from Forbin :I think the idea is you have the cylinders fire in rapid succession, and then there's a big (relatively speaking) lull in torque production which allows the tire to regain grip.

Whether or not it actually works this way I think may be beyond most people here.

I think thats the idea behind the V twin ducati's in superbikes.

Link

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG