The online racing simulator
Tristancliffe's day out!
(124 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :Ferrari are still sponsored by Marlboro. It wasn't 'banned' in quite such definite terms, but its use was heavily restricted.

ah ok soz thought it was totally banned
Quote from 5haz :By the way Tristian, your result got your name in the national section of Autosport!

"A flat out drive from Tristian Cliffe earned the Reynard mad the laurels in race two"

It may not be much, but to get a mention in probrably the UK's biggest motorsport magazine is certainly something.

Found it 20 seconds after it arrived on Thursday (subscription!). Considering one of the deputy/sub/something editors was racing with Monoposto I was actually disappointed by the write up. But then, by the time it got to our race on Sunday he had packed up and gone home probably, as their race was several hours before ours

Besides, I've got to try and keep face at Silverstone next, and that's going to be a lot harder I think...
Quote from james12s :ah ok soz thought it was totally banned

What this comes from : Marlboro is still Ferrari's main sponsor, but they are barely present on the cars due to restrictions of tobacco advertisements.

What I meant was older F1 Ferrari's paint job with the Marlboro ads, it looked quite cool,[sarcasm] despite being out of something as dangerous as tobacco. I guess they might restrict alcoholic drinks next as in Johnnie Walker [/sarcasm].

However, let's hope you do repeat a podium this year, Tristan :]
yh i think thats what confused me the banning of tobaco advertising, meany sponsership in its usual sence of logos on car etc was banned but tobacco sponsorship in the way of givving money isnt
How much would it cost if you put "Mixei - Gay-club" sponsor in your forehead..?
Hmmmm, no!

Single 'overview' video of the weekend, and as always I concentrate on the mistakes I made (e.g. the wet race spins). I see no point pretending they didn't happen, or that they weren't my fault. But, if you happen to be a gokarter I'm sure you can tell exactly where I'm going wrong with the years of F3 experience you've gained in karts

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c8T-CLvSACQ
@tristancliffe,

what server do you race on in LFS? i never saw you racing i think..?

greetz,
Whichever server has a car/track combination I feel like using, or has people I know in it. LFS isn't used as regularly as I'd like though because real racing takes up far too much time. My remaining free time is spent eating, seeing my girlfriend, sleeping or doing chores round my house. As much as I still love LFS, it's had to take a back seat.
Is it a manual transmission or a sequential? (FBM/Shifter kart style) And how many gears?
5 speed Hewland gearbox, with manual h-shift (dog-leg first), plus reverse.
I would like to see tristans car in LFS...
I asked Nuse to make a 3D model of my car from photographs so that it could be included in a simulator. I thought that it would be an ideal opportunity to try it in rfactor (OMG!), because I can use that carfactory thingy to get the suspension reasonably close.

Sadly Nuse didn't get very far before he moved onto other projects. But if any reasonably 3D modeller fancies a challenge of modelling the car then that'd be great, and we can go from there. If it's a decent model then I could even use it in CFD software and try different things aerodynamically too
Quote from tristancliffe :I asked Nuse to make a 3D model of my car from photographs so that it could be included in a simulator. I thought that it would be an ideal opportunity to try it in rfactor (OMG!), because I can use that carfactory thingy to get the suspension reasonably close.

Sadly Nuse didn't get very far before he moved onto other projects. But if any reasonably 3D modeller fancies a challenge of modelling the car then that'd be great, and we can go from there. If it's a decent model then I could even use it in CFD software and try different things aerodynamically too

I could model it using Autodesk inventor or solidworks... But I guess you are not meaning that...
I can make a box with wheels.

Is that accurate enough?...

More honestly, I'm not terrible at modelling, I just never seem to keep a project on my mind for very long, and the stuff I do finish, is 1 night jobs, because else, ADD sets in and I go off chasing busty redheads rather than 3d model.
The recent court order between you and the red heads of, errr, Nanaimo means that the latter is no longer a [legal] option...
I guess I'll haffto go undercover.

Say hello to Mr. Iain TinDisguise. They'll never see it coming.
Quote from tristancliffe :LFS isn't used as regularly as I'd like though because real racing takes up far too much time. My remaining free time is spent eating, seeing my girlfriend, sleeping or doing chores round my house.

Wait, are you the second busiest man in Europe? Eating, girlfriend, sleeping and chores. All of those are pretty essential things to do, and that's just your spare time. Don't wear yourself out...
Hehe...

Tristan's Daily Routine (weekdays)
8am - Get up
9am - 6pm - Work
6pm-9pm - Race car
9pm-10pm - Evening meal
10pm-11pm - Go home, have a shower, check emails, maybe grab a quick 20 minutes of TV.
11pm - 1am - See girlfriend, try and watch a movie or an episode of something funny.
1am - 8am - Sleep. If I'm unlucky.

Weekends

9am - 7pm - Race car, with lunch and occasionally watching MotoGP or F1 or something.
7pm - Sleepy time - Something nice, or shopping. Or cleaning. Or washing. Or vacuuming.

I have Friday evenings off to devote to the missus, and thus keep her happy and vaguely supportive of my racing.

Does that make me the second busiest person in Europe? In between all of that I have to repair things now and again (picture frames are a favourite at the moment - seem to be going through a spate of having them break), service the car now and again, mowing lawns...

When I get 5 minutes to play LFS I usually don't bother, because I prefer to devote hours at a time, and it's rare that I get a whole evening to dedicate to it.
Ohh Where do u race/test on weekdays :/ Just trackday testing on weekdays and thats just road cars going round most of the time
In his garden, were else?
Quote from Jordan2007 :Ohh Where do u race/test on weekdays :/ Just trackday testing on weekdays and thats just road cars going round most of the time

There are proper test sessions available at a track in the UK on pretty much any weekday, the cost and format varies somewhat though. There's very little in the way of test sessions at weekends so often tagging along on a track day (closed wheel cars only normally) is one way of doing it, track days are also cheaper than test sessions during the week if you can live with the passing limits and slower traffic.

On a serious note though do you actually expect Tristan to be doing anything other than the odd pre-season/major work check over test?
6pm - 9pm aswell Iv Only known Most tracks to close about 6pm-7:00pm :o
"Race car" meant working on the race car, not racing the car. In a good season, with lots of spare money (i.e. not this year, or last year, or any year looking in the future) I'd hope to do two test days. I've already had one this year (which was pretty much rained off in the afternoon), so it's not looking likely for the rest of the year.

Tonight I took a brake disc off to have it copied (they're getting a bit thin), ordered a new set of pads (Ferodo 4003, which should be a better race pad than the 1144s I learnt on, which themselves were better than the terrible Greenstuffs we sprinted on), and striped down the left hand side of the gearbox to replace DV joints and the output flange bolts (probably with aircraft quality NAS bolts). I've literally just walked in the door, answered an email from a competitor and congratulated him on his performance in his first ClubF3 round, written this, and then I'm having a shower and going out again.

It's not cheap racing, and do well in it requires it to be constantly on your mind. I currently eat, sleep and dream about the car or the racing - it's REALLY really tiring. But podiums (and wins) make it worth it for me.
Cool

Tristancliffe's day out!
(124 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG