The online racing simulator
Microsoft will end OEM and shrink-wrapped sales of Windows XP on June 30, 2008
Microsoft will end OEM and shrink-wrapped sales of Windows XP on June 30, 2008, forcing users to shift to Vista. (System builders, meaning those who do white-box PCs, can sell XP through December 31.) Don't let that happen!
Millions of us have grown comfortable with XP and don't see a need to change to Vista. It's like having a comfortable apartment that you've enjoyed coming home to for years, only to get an eviction notice. The thought of moving to a new place -- even with the stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and maple cabinets (or is cherry in this year?) -- just doesn't sit right. Maybe it'll be more modern, but it will also cost more and likely not be as good a fit. And you don't have any other reason to move.
That's exactly the conclusion people have come to with Vista. For most of us, there's really no reason to move to it -- yet we don't have a choice. When that strong desire to stick with XP became obvious in spring 2007, major computer makers such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard quietly reintroduced new XP-based systems (but just to business customers, so as not to offend Microsoft). Come June 30, however, even that option goes away.
So what to do? Let Microsoft decide where your personal and enterprise software "lives"? Or send a loud and clear message that you don't want to move?
We're going for the loud-and-clear option. Join us, and tell Microsoft that you want to keep XP available indefinitely. Not for another six months or a year but indefinitely.
And ask your friends and colleagues to join in, too. Just point them to SaveXP.com or a quick link to this page. And if you'd like to publish our countdown animation on your Web site to help promote this petition, e-mail Executive Editor Galen Gruman for the code snippet.

Don't think Microsoft will listen? Consider this: Although Microsoft denies that anything is wrong with Vista or that most people don't want it, the company has already postponed XP's demise by six months. That's a start, but it's not good enough.
Microsoft doesn't have to admit failure; it can just say it will keep XP available indefinitely due to customer demand. It can take that opportunity to try again with a better Vista, or just move on to the next version that maybe this time we'll all actually want.
There is a precedent for that, too: In many respects, Vista is like the Windows Millennium Edition that was meant to replace Windows 98 in 2000 but caused more trouble than it was worth. At that time, Windows 2000 was promising but didn't support a lot of hardware, so users were stuck between two bad choices. Without admitting Millennium's failure, Microsoft quietly put Windows 98 back on the market until the fixed version of Windows 2000 (SP1) was available. Microsoft needs to do something like that again today.
Make your voice heard to Microsoft. Sign our petition to save XP today. We will present it to Microsoft.
As much as I love Windows XP, I don't think any number of people can convince Microsoft to keep selling it as it is very old. With Vista out and Windows 7 coming in 2 years, there is no way they will keep selling XP. I say get your copy while you still can, or just pirate it after June 30 since Microsoft won't leave us with any other choice.
#4 - Jakg
This isn't the end of XP - this is the end of getting NEW copies of XP.

Do you think XP sells that much any more? People love it but those who do already HAVE their copy.
#6 - 5haz
Hmm, methinks its time to go to switch to Apple Mac.

Anyway, if you already have an installed copy of XP, is there any need to buy another?

Remember all those years back when everyone had Windows 2000 and XP was a buggy piece of crap, well XP is now a very stable operating system IMO, I think that Vista will improve the same way that XP did over the years, Microsoft just likes to use its customers as beta testers.
Quote from 5haz :Hmm, methinks its time to go to switch to linux.

Ubuntu Hardy Heron out in 8 days, people. ;]
I don't think it will happen anyway, 'cause so far I understood it MS has a deal with ASUS for the EE-PC so you can order it with XP. And I guess they will still be offering CD's to update the Linux version to XP.

Apart from that, Nearly all people have an XP license and nobody will complain if you keep using it. In most cases you have a OEM installation CD (OK, just repair and backup CD users are f***** now) and you can keep using it for a new PC, you just have to activate it over the telephone and say that you had to replace faulte HW (if they ask).

Btw: It is very common with Software that once the new Version is out the older one isn't sold anymore. Or to give another example: Try to buy a new '91 BMW 3 series from BMW today.
XP will still be supported with updates until 2014.
I bought the option to switch my OS to Vista for free, well it cost like an extra £10 but considering how much Vista is thats almost free. Anyway, I have chosen not to switch because I am happy with XP.
#12 - 5haz
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Ubuntu Hardy Heron out in 8 days, people. ;]

Haha, nice editing of my quote there.

Im not too sure about Linux though, but I think thats because my last expieriences with it were a long time ago, back then it seemed a bit buggy. (I used to have Redhat)

But that was a long time ago and I guess the various distributions of Linux have improved a lot since.

It also seems that the Apple Propaganda machine has drawn me towards them, however we all know how crap their new annorexic laptop is don't we.
Quote from 5haz :Hmm, methinks its time to go to switch to Apple Mac.

Anyway, if you already have an installed copy of XP, is there any need to buy another?

Remember all those years back when everyone had Windows 2000 and XP was a buggy piece of crap, well XP is now a very stable operating system IMO, I think that Vista will improve the same way that XP did over the years, Microsoft just likes to use its customers as beta testers.

As well as the 3.1 to 95, the 95 to 98, the 98 to 2000/XP and so on and so on......

Microsoft comes out with a new version of Windows built for the latest and greatest PCs and until the latest and greatest is mainstream, users will complain about the new Windows version. This is due to the latest and greatest being expensive and people not going for it until there is something new that is latest and greatest.

Two years from now, when today's latest and greatest is more mainstream, people will be wondering what all the fuss about Vista was, just as they wonder today what the big deal about XP was.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from 5haz :Hmm, methinks its time to go to switch to Apple Mac.

Vista won't improve as much as XP - Windows 7 is meant to be an evolution of Vista, and be out in 2 years (supposedly - imo it'll be more), so I doubt they'll get much mileage out of Vista.
:for sale:

2 copys of xp. jk though i prefer vista lloyds tsb only just upgraded to xp a year ago. So i doubt they will upgrade.
#16 - Jakg
Lloyds TSB is a bank. Banks ae notorious for not changing something that works, like most Businesses.

I know many Food-Factories round here that have £200k PC's controlled by P3 machines running DOS with a Turbo Button. If it works - why change it?

I have a legit XP (and Server 2003 / Vista Business) key I was gonna sell - looks like i'm gonna keep it for a little longer :P
what can i do with vista that i cannot do with xp? (kinda serious question - i really can't think of anything)
Get even more annoying warning and confirmation pop-ups?
use dx10. but that seems to be the only selling point.
#20 - Jakg
Nothing (besides DX10 which I doubt you'd have any use for).

Vista is (imo) a "nicer" OS to use thanks to little features like the new title bar, the new Start Menu etc, however it's much better in regards to power management making it good for laptops.

Vista's a good OS and getting better. For me, it's worth the £60 I spent on it.

If Windows 7 will come out in 2 years then i'd wait for that. But I doubt it will.

EDIT - NotAnIllusion - Disable UAC. No annoying popups!
ill just dl a vista transformation pack and ill have a legit vista for free..lol
I wish LFS and all my other favourite sims worked on AROS.
#25 - Jakg
Quote from Scrabby :ill just dl a vista transformation pack and ill have a legit vista for free..lol

If that worked don't you think we'd all be doing it?

You don't get ANY improvements that way, just shiny shiny.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG