The online racing simulator
Remote Access
(27 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
Remote Access
Can anyone tell me how I could setup remote access and be able to access my files using my own website? we have one in school what allows us to access our area on the school network from home, the address so you can see what I mean http://myfiles.ridgeway.plymouth.sch.uk/
It will be helpful for me to have because when I go to my nan's house, around my mums, school or at a mates house I can access my homework and other files, for the person who says about a external hard drive( can't be bothered with one, only getting one to store songs and programs on incase of system restores) and I have a flash drive for homework but sometimes I forget it because when I am at home it stays in my computer.
If anyone could help me with this, it will be a great help.
#2 - sam93
Anyone?
Can you run a VPN at your home?
#4 - garph
I don't know if UltraVNC would be applicable in this situation, but if so, it's always worked great for me. I used to use it to view my PC screen on my Tungsten | X and transfer files to an SD card on it, but you can also access it through any Java-enabled browser without the need for third party software.
-
(Bean0) DELETED by Bean0
#6 - sam93
Quote from garph :Never used it before.....

http://www.google.co.uk/search ... t=broad-revision&cd=1

Well, I did try that but in school we have filters on things left right and center so I couldn't use the remote desktop. So, the only way around it is to get one what can be used with a browser.
We the remote access type page in school would that have to be coded or would it be possible to find the software for it, I know that one has been coded as Mark Luxton I think is one of the IT Techs in school.
For future reference, thanks for the help.
well there is an easy way, ftp access
running a ftp app at school or home, or both,
and access ur data at school from home, via the same ftp app,
olso, but this is more for working on the other pc rather then exchanging files, using the windows built in remote access function,

the ftp is good for 1 or 2 pc's but for a whole school, the bandwidh might be a problem
#8 - sam93
Quote from kiss me :well there is an easy way, ftp access
running a ftp app at school or home, or both,
and access ur data at school from home, via the same ftp app,
olso, but this is more for working on the other pc rather then exchanging files, using the windows built in remote access function,

the ftp is good for 1 or 2 pc's but for a whole school, the bandwidh might be a problem

I can't install software in school, thats why it would be best to use a website I could set up what I can access just the files off of my hard drive so it just lists the files, nothing on the desktop etc...

I will take a few screenshots of the layout of the school remote access so people can see what I mean by it being on a website.
google logmein...best tool ever used. enough said?
Quote from harjun :google logmein...best tool ever used. enough said?

The software needs to be on both computers and as I said above, we can't install software on the computers as it just shuts the installer down.

I will quickly upload some screenshots of what our school access is like and then people with catch my drift.
Quote from sam93 :The software needs to be on both computers and as I said above, we can't install software on the computers as it just shuts the installer down.

I will quickly upload some screenshots of what our school access is like and then people with catch my drift.

no, the software only needs to be on your computer, then you just log in through their website.
Here are some screenshots, just need to go onto myfiles.ridgeway.plymouth.sch.uk
The way I would like it is if I could go to for example: mycomputer.sam93.com and it would give me the option to log in a browse the files on my hard drive.

Screenshots below....
Attached images
Access start.JPG
Access folders.JPG
Access folders 2.JPG
Quote from burnsy1882 :no, the software only needs to be on your computer, then you just log in through their website.

Oh I see, I will try it with my notebook. How comes my laptop what runs XP Pro so it has the better version of remote desktop on what access my Desktop running XP HE? I try connecting using my pc's IP and the one what it has to connect to the router but still wont connect.
Quote from burnsy1882 :no, the software only needs to be on your computer, then you just log in through their website.

Oh, I knew they did the remoteanywhere and I think that needs the software on both computers, thanks for that, didn't think of that company, give it a trial run, if I get a long with it problem solved, if I don't have to search around for the type of software I am looking for when you can connect through your own website.
Just used the software obvious it was going to be abit slow as it was coming over the net but seems ok to me.
you cant remote acces a xp home pc with xp pro
vica versa, yes,
cool huh
with logmein
with ur pc at school, go to the logmein site, log on, register your school pc at logmein
at home, go to logmein, select your registered school pc, and voila,
but still, dont see how data then could be transferred.

olso you could set the hdd at school as a network hdd, but that wont work i think
#16 - STF
let me get this straight. you want to acces your home computer from school/nan`s house/your mate ? or the school computer is the "target" ?.
if the home computer, why not use a ftp server ? you can install ftp at home.. right?
oor, you can install a http server like.. HFS . in fact, you don`t even install it, just start it(and configure it of course).
then, just add the partitions you like to access, disable guest access and create an username&pwd .. voila.

i guess you can use it in school.. if you rename the executable [restrictions?] to something allowed as winword.exe[?].. but unless you have an external ip, or some port mapped.. won`t work.
if ftp is restricted from school, go with http.
hfs(the example) is lightweight and highly configurable.
Quote from kiss me :you cant remote acces a xp home pc with xp pro
vica versa, yes,
cool huh
with logmein
with ur pc at school, go to the logmein site, log on, register your school pc at logmein
at home, go to logmein, select your registered school pc, and voila,
but still, dont see how data then could be transferred.

olso you could set the hdd at school as a network hdd, but that wont work i think

I can't install software in school on the computers, students have very limited usage, we have access to the utilites we need and can't install anything and logmein needs to be installed, so it wont work on the school computers. I only needed something to be able to access my home computer from school or mates or relatives house and I have now found the solution. Also, I don't need remote access on the schools computer as it already has remote access myfiles.ridgeway.plymouth.sch.uk

Anyway I couldn't remote access a school computer from home as logmein controls the computer like you are at it just using a different computer then the one your controlling, so as this happens I would log into all the computers in the school as we don't have our own specific computer. Hope this makes sense, basically I would log into all the computers in the school as we don't have our own pc in school just our user on the network.
Dude - seriously. UltraVNC. I've gotten it to work on my school computers.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Dude - seriously. UltraVNC. I've gotten it to work on my school computers.

Maybe, school filters are different through out different schools. We have a very strong filter, we can't download anything, don't have access to youtube, google videos or even game sites. Everything gets blocked all the time, soon it will be pointless for our school even to have the internet.
If we try to install something into our documents it comes up with a blocker and shuts the installer down.
Schools don't need the internet anyway. You are meant to be learning, not 'surfing'.
Quote from tristancliffe :Schools don't need the internet anyway. You are meant to be learning, not 'surfing'.

Can't surf at our school, there's no sea on site plus it's to cold.
[sarcasm]

We do need to 'surf' to find the materials we need in order to complete our work. Anyway I am at the stage where we aren't really learning but showing what we have learnt as I am in year 10 now. This will be the worst 2 years of my life, bloody GCSE's take up so much time.
#23 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Schools don't need the internet anyway. You are meant to be learning, not 'surfing'.

?

I use the internet for educational purposes all the time at School - I NEED to use it for my IT work, and for my Applied Science work, and for my Geography work, and to help a bunch of year 11's with their DiDa work etc.

EDIT - Sam, it gets worse - if you think GCSE is hard, then try doing AS ICT. It's harder. By a lot. And A2 level is probably even harder.

(By "Hard" i mean boring and laborious. Not actually difficult, but it's utter ****)
Quote from Jakg :?

I use the internet for educational purposes all the time at School - I NEED to use it for my IT work, and for my Applied Science work, and for my Geography work, and to help a bunch of year 11's with their DiDa work etc.

EDIT - Sam, it gets worse - if you think GCSE is hard, then try doing AS ICT. It's harder. By a lot. And A2 level is probably even harder.

(By "Hard" i mean boring and laborious. Not actually difficult, but it's utter ****)

Well hopefully I'll have a better teacher when go into six form and do IT A level because at the moment my teacher don't like me at all because I know certain things what he doesn't and I think it gets at him a bit, well a bit most get bite away at him, made him call me strange and worrying in my report now he seems to lick my ass ever since he put that. Well only need to be able to put up with him for a nother 12 months really.

How else am I supposed to access the Java API in computer science?

Remote Access
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG