The online racing simulator
Clutch, still!
(184 posts, closed, started )
#26 - SamH
Quote from Speed Soro :The complaint proceeds, and I know a lot of top racers that are using autogears cause that.

Names or it's bull. Spit 'em out.
Maybe I'm just totally amazing (that'd be the day) but I actually have trouble TRYING to burn the clutch. I can't consistently do it when I'm messing around, and I've certainly never done it in a race - how the hell do you guys manage it so easily?
Quote from Speed Soro :...

I think you just suck. So do so-called "top racers" who use automatic gearchange.
Quote from Speed Soro : This behavior is wrong. Once it get red there is no way to back to orange.

I don't know if the clutch cools too slowly, because I've never overheated a clutch to a point that it slips in real life. But I suspect that it would not cool down if it slips and generates more heat, causing it to slip more, generating more heat...

Quote from Speed Soro :People who defend this error is just doing nothing to contribute to development of the game.

Quote from Speed Soro :
Scawen should put his proud aside once in a while and go back to old format, at least it was driveable.

And how would just scrapping evertyhing archieved contribute to developement? Or complaining without any arguments other than "it's wrong". Provide Scawen some arguments or data, and he'll surely work around the problem if there is one.

The instant overheating when spinning feels quite strange though, but once again, I've never spun my car on high speed on tarmac while keeping the throttle floored, so how could I know?
I don't see how some people can destroy the clutch, they must be doing something wrong. The clutch is not perfect but with a little common sense it won't be destroyed in a few laps. I can drive FZR for hours and it's really rare that the clutch heats to the point where it slips. I have to flatshift for a few laps to heat the clutch that much. I wouldn't call anyone a top racer who can't drive a car with clutch and H-shifter. If clutch and H-shifter is not an option then I suggest binding a button to the clutch and using that when the car spins.
Quote from Speed Soro :This behavior is wrong. Once it get red there is no way to back to orange.

Of course there is. Just don't slip the clutch. Which, once the bar is sufficiently red, means not using full throttle.
I agree the clutch needs improving in general, but I honestly have never burnt one out when racing. I can see how it might happen in an extreme situation (like our car in the IGTC), but I don't understand how people do it so easily when racing normally. I don't know anyone in my team or who I race with regularly who has this problem, and they are all fast and experienced drivers. I say people need to reassess their driving style to be honest.
I can't understand how people manage to fry the clutch that easy. I mean, I'm a rubbish driver, look at my laptimes and stuff, but my clutch in normal race never gets hotter than 2mm in green. Even in FZR and FBM. And I don't have a clutch pedal, just heel&toeing at the right time

Only think that fries it for me is keeping on the gas when spinning out.
Quote from Dajmin :Maybe I'm just totally amazing (that'd be the day) but I actually have trouble TRYING to burn the clutch. I can't consistently do it when I'm messing around, and I've certainly never done it in a race - how the hell do you guys manage it so easily?

Maybe you got one of the good clutchpacks?

j/k.

I have had a few issues (in FBM), but maybe I shouldn't have spun out in the first place. I personally like it. It even field between people who use clutch, and people with autogears(no shift delay).
Quote from luftrofl :If you have problems with burning up the clutch in any car, you are simply a bad driver.

While I do think that the clutch burns a little too easily, I also think that constant poor shifting during a "45lap lague race" will lead to clutch failure.

Edit: I'd like to mention that I really like the fact that the current clutch system really hurts those who can't shift properly.

Have a look at all these bad drivers, nubs.

http://www.esport-racing.com/replays/17_2ietm3.mpr

Hi there!

First: I´m very impressed by the number and quality
of most replies!

Just to name it: I drove FZR on SO4 and experienced
the clutches burnout in about lap 25.

If I think of my setup I get the feeling that I break
with the engine a tiny little bit too much (not like mad!), because I tend to drive on soft brakes to
save tyres an because I tend to overbreak, as my
tutours found out...

Somebody also wrote, that there is practically no chance of "escaping" the pitstop without overheating
the clutch.

What I also want to stress on is, that I cannot cool
it down in SO4/FZr for example, even if I drive much
much slower.

Spinning, (especially tough when not Your own fault) might also easyly ruin the (longrun-) race.

Statements that just say, "if Your clutch overheat,
that because You are a bad driver" and "this clutch
behaviour is particulary realistic" I find a little bit
shallow, especially in a game, where only 3 to 4
cars a "realistic" models, the rest fantasy...

Besides the FBW (which I learnd to handle quiet well), what is the "reality" of a FZR car?

ONE other point: I NEVER see any racedrivers car stop unmanouverable, when I watch
races (on TV). I know these people mostly drive well, but would the problem not just
occure more frequently, if it was a typical racing problem.
Oil temperature, water and engine overheating, YES.
Brakes explode from heat!
But clutches, I never hear of a clutch explode or giving up...

BESIDES THAT: Unfortunately I get a sense of
chauvinistic behaviour and expression of some
native english speakers in this and I have to state
many other internet forum, which put a bad light
on those figures attitudes.

Quote :
Quote:
Originally Posted by niall09
hmm, that post was rather hard to read. Can you see what I am saying?

I thought it was a poem.

I can't even burn it in race with cars i drive ofc if some noob spin and keep throttle its easy (how can clutch hold if you going 100kmh backwards and trying to go forward in 5,6 gear)
i only have 2 pedals, so i use button clutch. launching from a dead stop i bring the revs about half way to the red line, then give nearly full throttle as i pop the clutch. the tires usually spin a bit, but the most clutch heat i ever see is one or two pixels of orange.

if i had a 3rd pedal i would probably still launch in a similar way. there has to be some slipping, somewhere, and erring on the side of spinning the tires will definitely save the clutch.
Okay, I've now made some tests on the FZR specifically. Taking one of the inferno setups, it seems to be rather easy to overheat the clutch with multiple pitstop takeoffs, especially if the clutch temp has already 3-4 orange pixels to begin with.

However, as I've found, this is completely down to the setup. When you shorten the first gear just a bit, so it doesn't go to 105+ km/h and instead only to 80-90km/h, the takeoff problem vanishes completely. With that ratio I can do clean 4-6k rpm takeoffs all day, even nasty full throttle takeoffs take quite a long time to get the clutch red - many more times than you'd ever do in a race in such a short timespan.

So dear troubled FZR racers, do you think you'll be able to adapt this complex change, or will you continue to blame the clutch modelling for the problems your ridiculously long first gear causes?
This is yet another pointless thread of arguing. And guess what! ..its about the clutch...
Can´t you people understand that it´s now part of the game. You can´t just rumble and spank the car to the limit, as you could before.
I think that the clutch is great, it really is good for them, who can drive fast and clean without problems.
And someone said that "1 spin and the clutch is out" or something.. LOL!!!
Quote from AndroidXP :So dear troubled FZR racers, do you think you'll be able to adapt this complex change, or will you continue to blame the clutch modelling for the problems your ridiculously long first gear causes?

LOL

Well said that man

Some people are going to just have to face the fact that their driving need to improve. It is not a problem with the sim.

The FZR is no more of a problem than any other car, not that any of them are a problem

The only time I've burned the clutch was in a big shunt and i didn't get the clutch in quick enough.

I sure as hell haven't ever burned it taking off from the grid or a pitstop, and I've done plenty of 'em.
Just to try and prove/disprove this for my own satisfaction, I tried 80 laps of SO3 in a XFR,
I buggered the tyres completely during this stint, but the clutch stayed cool and functional throughout..was just as healthy at the finish as at the start.
I am by no means fast..I cant even get good 'benchmark' times with this combo..was running an average 40/41 second lap.
I chose this combo because it has a LOT of gear changes and bumps, so would be really punishing (in theory!)

If you have a problem with the clutch, I suggest googling for the add-on pack "skillz 2.0" or "driving technique 3.5 beta"...this just might help you!
Hi!

Can someone please write a clutch - monitoring
tool, so that the driver can learn in which situation
he would do how much damage to the clutch for
what ever reason...
Just open the F9 menu and watch the clutch temp? Or analyse the replay after a long race, to see where most heat was generated?
#45 - Woz
Quote from Speed Soro :People who defend this error is just doing nothing to contribute to development of the game.

Wahahahahahaha its not fair!!! (cry cry cry)

As I said earlier. If you believe its wrong POST A REPLAY AND YOUR SETUP!

I bet, as stated earlier, that your first gear is too tall and also that you slip it too much. You probably engine brake too hard as well.

Do you honestly believe that real drivers mash the controls as much? lol

Watch an aussie V8 drivers foot cam. In low gears it can take 2+ seconds for them to slowley feed in the power after a gear change. Most drivers in lfs believe they should be able to just keep their foot planted.

So come on then... PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS...

POST A REPLAY!
I hear a lot of people complaining about various things since Y came out. I don't undestand this? it must be my driving style but I can't really tell too much difference Ok i've had my FZR clutch burn during pitting, but after a few practises it is manageable. Maybe it depends on the controller input? I have a wheel a with clutch pedal etc, maybe there is a problem with mouse or keyboard users, not sure really.
Quote from AlienT. :I hear a lot of people complaining about various things since Y came out. I don't undestand this? it must be my driving style but I can't really tell too much difference Ok i've had my FZR clutch burn during pitting, but after a few practises it is manageable. Maybe it depends on the controller input? I have a wheel a with clutch pedal etc, maybe there is a problem with mouse or keyboard users, not sure really.

I use manual clutch even when I'm racing with mouse and keyboard, and it never caused me a problem, a lot better than autoclutch because I decide when to use it and obviously I don't use it to start the car in 4th gear after a spin.
Quote from Woz :...

And their set.

What the hell is it with guys who burn their clutches? All of you say it's the games fault and has no part what so ever in how you drive.

Come on! How can most VERY fast people drive without heating the clutch? Even us slowpokes can drive without burning it!

I can't burn the effing clutch in a race and I use the bleeding AUTOCLUTCH!

Own up! You just can't shift for shit.
forget
This thread is closed

Clutch, still!
(184 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG