The online racing simulator
Another nail in the coffin?
(93 posts, closed, started )
#76 - J.B.
I can't take any post serious with "the competitors are catching up" in it. Not that there aren't some promising projects out there but at the moment they are no more than just that: projects that may be good sims in the future.

The claims that LFS is being overtaken have been made for years and years and are just getting old. Do some research and you will see that in reality netKar was a scam, ISI still uses the same ten year old physics engine and drivers republic just died without a word.
You can't win with some people.

You only have to look at NetKar Pro to see what lack of updates really is.

The developers on this sim have done an outstanding job. And remember a simple 30 second download for you is weeks of looking at numbers for them so you need to get some perspective.

The devs, quite rightly will get bored from time to time and need to take a break.... and it's not as if they are leaving you with some bug filled unplayable game is it? You seem to expect way to much from these 3 guys. LFS is still being developed and the evidence and structure is clear.

At least they aren't releasing video's of some LFS type bike sim while you await updates for the sim you paid for!
A "LFS is dead" thread? Must be Tuesday.

Happens every time there's a slight lull in proceedings. And, as people have said, remember that just because you can't see any updates, that doesn't mean there's not a whole load of stuff happening under the surface or behind the scenes.

The recent Test Patches covering localisation in the Far East have instantly made over a billion Chinese people happy. A nice month's work, that. FREE TIBET
#79 - SamH
You're just another keyboard warrior, Ian. Spade=spade.
Quote from Dajmin : FREE TIBET

If people wannabe keyboard warriors, there are much more important things to put their energies behind than this sad, sad thread.
Quote from J.B. :...and drivers republic just died without a word.

well, EEro is now working on the Ferrari Project.
Quote from Gabkicks :well, EEro is now working on the Ferrari Project.

Yeah, but that was only discovered by somebody happening to peruse the credits for Ferrari Project.

Ian H, you always seem to post with alot of anger! I've been playing LFS for quite a long time and I still enjoy it, each to their own really.

It seems like alot of people are saying they're bored of LFS when in reality it appears they are bored of actual race sims, which are quite two different things.
I just hope Scawen reads this thread and comes out with something like, "Well, we were going to wait a little longer, but after reading this thread... SURPRISE! 17 new cars! 4 new tracks! Weather! Dynamic environments! Have a great day!"

...or not. Either way
Quote from Ian.H :And IMO, this is exactly what's wrong with a big part of the world today... to many PC people trying to censor way way too much. What happened to a spade being called a spade?

Facts:

1. Scawen made a thread announcing the birth of his daughter.
2. 3 days later someone essentially uses that thread as leverage to display dismay about the development of the game.

Spade enough for you?
Quote from xaotik :Facts:

1. Scawen made a thread announcing the birth of his daughter.
2. 3 days later someone essentially uses that thread as leverage to display dismay about the development of the game.

Spade enough for you?

Not just spade. But rake too.

The 'I want it now' mentality sickens me. The devs work their asses off on LFS/caring for their families (yes, that is a job too), yet you people complain that they're not doing enough. THe people who complain are ungrateful, selfish, bastards IMHO.

Put yourself in Scawen's position, then think if you'd be saying 'is LFS dead?'. Or put yourself in Scawen's position, seeing this thread. Think how he'd react
A thread debating the legalities of Scawen's development choices for LFS, right behind his last child's birth.

Classy.
I've read this thread during my day at the office and I'm asking myself one question over and over again? What if LFS is really finished some day? According to what I read in this thread, many people will leave the game immediately because there will be no more new cars/tracks/options etc. I'm not around as long as other people but enjoy playing this game every time I have the time to launch it. Okay, there's already enough said about the pace of development and of course you can say that a bigger team will do the job in a shorter period of time, but............... a bigger team means more bugs, a bigger team means higher costs, a bigger team usually means little or no support. Test patches? Feedback on a forum like this from a developer it self? Don't think so, all they care is about earning as much money as possible for a title and move on to a XXX - 2 , - 3 , - 4 etc. No, I think LFS is developed in the right way, slow but steady. Everything very well tested and thought out. It's still an alpha game (which you never would see from a big company) but as good as it could possibly be in relation of being an alpha game.
well, devs hav one thing in mind - average CPU capabilities - they dont have marketing power to stimulate CPUs nad graphic cards sell out.

I hope they have second thing in mind - DX is 2 levels ahead now - it will mean century soon. What I liked before was that LFS was not a GPL - great physics sim with pack of fans not careing for outdated GFX (and nor bothered by diminishing noobs numbers - just on contrary)
Could a mod please close this thread? I hoped my point would be taken, but as I was afraid, it wasn't. I'm sorry I posted this, there's just no getting through to you guys...

Scawen, I hope you see my point the way I meant it, the fanboys sure didn't!
Quote from atledreier :Could a mod please close this thread? I hoped my point would be taken, but as I was afraid, it wasn't. I'm sorry I posted this, there's just no getting through to you guys...

+1
Quote from atledreier :Could a mod please close this thread? I hoped my point would be taken, but as I was afraid, it wasn't. I'm sorry I posted this, there's just no getting through to you guys...

Why such a sad reaction? You started a post in which you stated that LFS has had its longest time. Other people are having a different point of view and made that clear in (mostly) a normal way and now 'we' are fanboys and the thread should be closed. I don't get it. Next time, think twice before starting a thread like this or accept the fact that other people might have a different opinion and every right to express it, the same as you have that right.
Quote from Intrepid :You can't win

I'm going to go ahead and misquote Intrepid, completely out of context, because these 3 (well actually 4) words pretty much tell the story here.

I love a good debate. I love arguing for my views because I learn so much about myself from it. Most importantly however, I love listening to other peoples arguments because that teaches me a lot about other people, and how they might differ from me.

It seems to me like the internet is filled with the opposite kind of people. Immature people, mostly. People who have no respect for anyone. People who value their opinion higher than everyone elses. And also people who can't argue for shit.
You're never going to be the winner in anything if you keep attacking everybody. You're never going to get respect from people if you don't give them respect.

Now people, do we really need to have a discussion about Scawen's private life? Do we really need to have yet another flamewar over a subject that people obviously disagree on?

It's probably too late though - it's only a matter of time before this thread is "anti-demo-user"-hijacked, because a demo-user expresses his opinion on the subject.

FFS not the old fanboy card again!
Making a game takes a looooot of time, especially as the game grows older and more complex and one change might mean several changes in different 'layers' of the application. If you don't expect this kind of development length with a 3 person dev team you're highly mistaken. Me, I don't really care. I'm here for sim racing and LFS is currently the best product out there to achieve that goal. As long as that's still true I'll probably still be here.

If you're bored mix it up a bit, I can't stand public racing anymore with always doing the same cars/tracks over and over and over. I didn't really start learning what kinda variety LFS had until I started league racing where you get a good spread of everything. You don't really have to make sure you're 'awesome' to join most leagues, just find the lap you can drive at a good consistent pace with minimal chance of a mistake. Do that over and over and you'll find some good competition and some good positions. (And never drive beyond your personal limits, or at the edge of those limits for too long, consistency is king in a longer race.)
This thread is closed

Another nail in the coffin?
(93 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG