The online racing simulator
OMG TEH_Lag! How to Fix Lag in Videos?
(13 posts, started )
I have a crash that I plan to make a very interesting video out of, but there are several places where lag spoils a nice looking crash. How do you, the movie makers, deal with lag in videos? Do you just let it be, or do you use effects to make it less visible?
Lower AA settings. Dunno why but in some places I have lag when set to 8x
#3 - Jakg
He means online lag in a replay, not FPS drop.
I think the answer is that you don't fix it, the replay records what you see during a race and if it lags then that bit of information isnt recorded on your replay. It is very annoying because most of the cool crashes have lag in them.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I think the answer is that you don't fix it, the replay records what you see during a race and if it lags then that bit of information isnt recorded on your replay. It is very annoying because most of the cool crashes have lag in them.

Indeed. And I'm guessing there isn't a database where replays are stored. The problem is that I was laggy, but I'm sure the server would have seen less lag from the drivers involved in the crash.
There are a few camera secrets you can use but there is no real way to reduce the amount lag there is in a scene.
Quote from BigTime :There are a few camera secrets you can use but there is no real way to reduce the amount lag there is in a scene.

Secrets, eh
show me the replay, and I will show you camera positions (if I can) that will hide the lag... I do this regulary with online replays...

the problem could be that the action wouldn't be shown at the best angle

(I will vote "LAG" in the next "Blame Game" )
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Secrets, eh

Yeah secrets.......

If a car shifts on the screen violently you can pan the cam in the same manor. The key is to make the pan sync with the lag and to align it properly. :shhh:

P.S. Although I have used this to help reduce the effects, it doesn't completely remove the lag and isn't the easiest thing to get to look right. I don't often use scenes with that much lag, therefore it's not something I use often.
Quote from squidhead :show me the replay, and I will show you camera positions (if I can) that will hide the lag... I do this regulary with online replays...

the problem could be that the action wouldn't be shown at the best angle

(I will vote "LAG" in the next "Blame Game" )

It's not for the Blame Game, but thanks. It's on lap 1, involving me. And several other cars. See attachment.

Quote from BigTime :Yeah secrets.......

If a car shifts on the screen violently you can pan the cam in the same manor. The key is to make the pan sync with the lag and to align it properly.

P.S. Although I have used this to help reduce the effects, it doesn't completely remove the lag and isn't the easiest thing to get to look right. I don't often use scenes with that much lag, therefore it's not something I use often.

Thank you, I'll have a go with that too
Attached files
wow.mpr - 137 KB - 194 views
Both BigTime and Squidhead said what i knew to deal with lag in a technical fashion. ATC Quicksilver said the facts, and all i can add is some social engineering.
On the replay are some usefull information, such as nicknames and user names. See if you know someone on the server to ask if he has that replay. Or you can wrote down all users on that replay and contact them by pm. Maybe you get lucky!
Quote from FOX 1977 :Both BigTime and Squidhead said what i knew to deal with lag in a technical fashion. ATC Quicksilver said the facts, and all i can add is some social engineering.
On the replay are some usefull information, such as nicknames and user names. See if you know someone on the server to ask if he has that replay. Or you can wrote down all users on that replay and contact them by pm. Maybe you get lucky!

Another great idea. Cheers
Quote from Mp3 Astra :See attachment.

I see some lags, that are not actually "THAT" criminal but still, I'd use a low FOV shift+U cam fixed to one of the cars flying in front of them (I'd have the camera flying over the grass on the right of the track actually), and record the crash a few times focusing on each car you want to be seen in this accident.
Then it's just a matter of synchronizing them all together and not showing the cars that lag.

For example when you lag in mid air, switch to show the red car you're flying over, with a very low FOV you'll just show the contact and people will hardly notice the lag.

also since there were a lot of small lags there, I'd recommend slow motion for that crash, since changing the cameras too fast will make the viewer dizzy.

hope this makes some sense and helps

Hope this helps

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG