The online racing simulator
Fender rub/sparks
(64 posts, started )
In oval racing, atleast for the Indy Racing League, the cars often produce sparks for the first few laps(depends on track). Apparently the wieght of fuel is enough to make it so that the car makes sparks from rubbing the ground.

+1
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :you need a complete CFD model to do so.
impossible for home PC

AFAIK X-Plane calculates the planes aerodynamics in real time. On a normal PC. These models don't have to be as accurate as you know them from F1 windchannel simulations
Quote from ACCAkut :AFAIK X-Plane calculates the planes aerodynamics in real time. On a normal PC. These models don't have to be as accurate as you know them from F1 windchannel simulations

Good Point. XPlane is, arguably, the most advanced flight simulator available to the public! There are no "canned" flight characteristics; any move a modeled aircraft makes happens as a result of Aerodynamic calculations based on the shape of the aircraft or other physics concerns such as Inertia or Torques. Bar none, the most accurate helicopter flight model I've ever been in and I have sat in $60,000 Simulators.

Unfortunately Laminar's engine is a master piece that NASA was involved with and is not a simple matter to replicate.
Quote from Rappa Z :In oval racing, atleast for the Indy Racing League, the cars often produce sparks for the first few laps(depends on track). Apparently the wieght of fuel is enough to make it so that the car makes sparks from rubbing the ground.

+1

Also the low tire pressure lowers the ride height a little bit until they get the temps up.
Quote from UncleBenny :Also the low tire pressure lowers the ride height a little bit until they get the temps up.

Say it to Ayrton Senna
Quote from tristancliffe :Not that you'll ever see a closed wheel car sparking when it's the right way up.

You sure about that?

That's not the bodywork, that is magnesium skid blocks under the floor. Don't confuse the two or you'll encourage those who think NFS and rFactor have realistic spark effects.
Quote from tristancliffe :That's not the bodywork, that is magnesium skid blocks under the floor.

I didn't mention anything about it being bodywork, neither did the sentence of yours that I quoted.

You admit that your sentence as it stands was incorrect and I'll admit that I took the quote slightly out of context
Have we really sunk to those levels? This is a thread about sparks coming off cars when the rub each other. That is the context. My post was in this thread, and was therefore within context. Quote a sentence of mine, ignoring the thread, and trying to claim you were right is just stupidity personified.
Quote from tristancliffe :Have we really sunk to those levels? This is a thread about sparks coming off cars when the rub each other. That is the context. My post was in this thread, and was therefore within context. Quote a sentence of mine, ignoring the thread, and trying to claim you were right is just stupidity personified.

Firstly the original post in this thread is ambiguous and could be interpreted either way.

Secondly there are a number of times further on in the thread where sparks produced in situations other than cars rubbing together are mentioned.

Stupidity personified? No, it was meant to be a light hearted remark made in jest. Sorry you didn't realise that.
Sparks from the undercarriage were mentioned several times before. So, you contradicting Tristan is a bit stupid.
Quote from March Hare :Sparks from the undercarriage were mentioned several times before. So, you contradicting Tristan is a bit stupid.

How does the fact that sparks from the undercarriage being previously mentioned make me contradicting Tristan a bit stupid? I must be being stupid again because I don't see the connection.

If Tristan's remark was purely about cars rubbing together where does which way up the car is come into it?

Anyway, I don't want to continue arguing about it, if you guys think I'm stupid so be it.
Quote from tristancliffe :Indeed you have seen plastic wings. And boots, and bonnets and door skins. Why? They are lighter. And they don't spark. Not that you'll ever see a closed wheel car sparking when it's the right way up. -1 for pointless additions.

Tristan is clearly talking about the bodywork.
Quote from TechAde :I didn't mention anything about it being bodywork, neither did the sentence of yours that I quoted.

You admit that your sentence as it stands was incorrect and I'll admit that I took the quote slightly out of context

You on the other hand are just splitting hairs and trying desperately to be funny. After failing that miserably, you try to make a WR in backpedaling.
-1 for sparks ,I can't remember race where I've seen it

Fender rub/sparks
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG