The online racing simulator
Living In Ireland?
(14 posts, started )
Living In Ireland?
What's the craik?

I'm am looking into moving to Ireland for maybe 6 months to a year. Maybe more. I have been offered a fairly good job in Security, doing stuff from event security (festivals etc.) to door supervisor at clubs and what not. God knows I'm built for it. When I first got offered it, I thought "pfffft, Nah." But now I am giving it some serious thought.

I just need an information on living in Ireland, preferably from someone who visits England and Ireland to tell me the big differences. Also, some pure Irish-ers would be a great help too.

I would be looking at getting my own place, maybe renting a flat. Not sure if I would take my own car over, or just buy one over there (You still drive on the left over there, right? :razz
I just need to know general living cost and just any information that may help swing my decision in either direction. What places would you recommend going to live in Ireland? Which cities etc.

Also, would everyones reaction to me be "Ahh, Englishman!! Time to get the stakes out again lads..." or would it be a more stereotypical approach of "Be Jasus, have anoder pint of Guinness me ol' matey"

Would anyone be able to tell me the licence issue with secruity over there. Here we must have a SIA Licence which cost around £500 to obtain after training. Do I need any kind of special licence to do anything like that?

Thanks for any help
#2 - Jakg
You do know that Ireland is one of the most heavily taxed places in Europe, right?
Nope, hence this post.
Are you an artist? Artists are eligible for huge tax breaks in Ireland. They specify real art though, not pop music garbage or many modern Hollywood films.
Hes a Bouncer lol Not an artist.
Quote from Rdcranno :Hes a Bouncer lol Not an artist.

Well yes that's what he mentioned as his day job, but maybe he moonlights in his basement painting furiously and is the next Dali.
Quote from Rdcranno :Hes a Bouncer lol Not an artist.

It's an art in itself Be able to handle a lairy drunk without ending up flat on your arse takes some doing

But, no...I'm not an artist.

So, how bad is the taxing over there?
Tax, eh? Well, i'm not a tax payer so i don't know much about the tax situation in ireland (apart from the highness), so I suggest you look here http://www.revenue.ie/index.ht ... ets/movtoirl_contents.htm .

For all things Irish, you may want to take a look on www.boards.ie , basically it is an Irish forum that has a incredibly wide range of subjects.

Cities... as like any city, there are nice spots and rough spots. Limerick is known as "Stab City" over here due to the vast amount of stabbings(..obviously ). Just recently, two 16 year olds asked two Polish guys to buy them alcohol, they refused so the youngsters stabbed them both in the head a few times with a screwdriver, it's ridiculous. Dublin is the capital, aagain it has some rough spots but is mainly a nice city, as is Cork. But obviously the choice is yours, but in Dublin you'd most likely get the most work. But take a look here .

There shouldn't be any hatred towards you for being English, but some people will probably take the piss about your accent (thats if you have one ).

Generally though, Ireland is a nice, green place with lots of natural beauty. It is similar to England in many ways too . The cost of living is high, but you also get paid higher too. Apartments are expensive too.

I would suggest you come over and take a look around some cities etc. Hope this helps and good luck!
#9 - sam93
Quote from The General Lee :It's an art in itself Be able to handle a lairy drunk without ending up flat on your arse takes some doing

Well come on handling a drunk person isn't hard really, I know you don't know what they are going to do next but if they were sober it would be harder not to be put on your ass, I am not having a pop but my dad used to be on the doors when he was doing freestyle wrestling, so he didn't need any of that training but in those days you didn't need to be licensed, bit stupid now really.He said it is a laugh on the doors with the stupid threats you get, have you had any of this yet?
My friend went to college in Ireland. All I hear from him is how much beer and alcohol there is, lol.
#11 - SamH
I'll be really honest, here, and say that my experiences of working in Ireland are not all good. It's quite a few years since I worked there (80s to 90s in Northern Ireland, mostly), and the last time I even visited was in 99. I have some really excellent mates in Northern Ireland, and built up some lasting friendships, but the truth is that, being English, I was not "safe" there. I was "looked after". Even in 99, when I was in Dublin I felt okay - it being all modern and cosmopolitan etc, but still inherently resentful of the Brits/English - but once we ventured outside Dublin, it became very very uncomfortable at times. My friend, who was with me in 99, rarely sensed it, but did sense it a few times. I had developed a 6th sense over the years, though, and knew when it was time to leave.

I can only call it as I saw it, but I do have to urge caution.
That may be ture but here in the south of ireland i assure you there is no haterid of british/english people it has all long since passed but i know what you mean the 80s-90s were a bad time but since the situation in the north has largley diffused in recent times anyone englishn living in anypart of the country should expericence none of this "haterid" what so ever.
Niall - Thanks for the links mate, I'll take a look at them. Cheers. After a bit of my own research it seems that Dublin would be my best bet from a work point of view and also a living point of view. My mum went to Dublin a couple of years ago and she loved it. We take a lot of visits to London as we have family there, and my mum described Dublin as a much cleaner place than London with a lot less arrogance. Yes, I do have an accent I'm from Devon and its a little "Orrr Arrrr" I do plan of visiting Dublin for a week to see how I like it. I don't want to go and set up camp to find I hate the place. But thanks again for those links mate.

Sam93 - It harder than you may think. Without blowing my own trumpet, I am a bloody big guy and people who sometimes leave a log in my pants are shit scared of me! But despite my size, drunk ****s can not see past it and still want a pop despite being surrounded by 3 other bouncer friends. The threats are funny. People who can't even stand up straight thinking they could "Take me on any day" You get a few nice people with respect for the big guys in black.

SamH - Thanks for that little insight buddy. I wasn't sure if there was still any hatred of us English. With Dublin being a bit more of a tourist attraction, I'm guessing that the hatred has died down a little? I hope so anyway. Nothing worse than feeling like the odd guy out. Like I said to Niall, I plan on taking a visit to Dublin so if the hatred is to much for me, I won't be sticking about for long!

Thanks everyone Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Quote from niall09 :Limerick is known as "Stab City" over here due to the vast amount of stabbings(..obviously ).

lol, had to be brought up

Limerick isn't as bad as it's made out to be...I've lived here for 16 years, I haven't been stabbed much, and major crimes are quite rare...Just stay out of certain "Danger Zones" (anybody in Limerick will know where they are ), and it's fine

Of course, if you want to avoid crime (and tax for that matter :razz, try somewhere like Galway or Sligo...

Dublin, from my short experiences there, is quite bad in places, yet quite good in others...stay away from them Northsiders, and you'll be fine

Living In Ireland?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG