The online racing simulator
Do you use Names Above Cars?
(55 posts, started )

Poll : Names Above Cars or Names Off?

Names Above Cars
Names Off
Depends, Crusing, yea, so i can tell people from others, racing, no, so i can become more competative.
Only in multiplayer so I know who to yell at...
What about 'sometimes' as an option? I sometimes do or did.
I always do, why not? I like to know whos infront of me or behind and who hit me or who i hit etc.
When I'm racing on public servers with people I don't know I usually turn on names above cars but when I'm racing with teammates on our server I don't need it.
its very simple , there are some drivers around here is lfs that you can trust on the track , the is no problem with that at all, but at least i want to know when i am coming up or he is overtaking me

i hope you get what i mean,

greets,

Reint Jan
Smart drivers learn as much as they can about the strengths and weaknesses of their competition in order to exploit them as efficiently as possible. Therefore, I always race with names on.

There are some drivers online who I know I can trust - they're fast and have good car control. They know how to brake. They know how to place their car and leave sufficient space when battling. I know I can send one down the inside and know he'll see me and give me space.

Other guys are much more erratic, so when I come up behind them I have to give them a much wider berth. I make sure they don't brake in the middle of a straight, or half-spin right into my path, or fail to acknowledge the presence of my car alongside and crash right into me. If I attempt an overtake on them, I have to be very assertive and confident. Pull completely alongside or ahead to make sure I'm seen. Don't feint a move and then back out mid-corner, as that will often end in contact.

Some people change skins frequently, so car color alone isn't always a reliable indicator of who's around me. Instead I just turn names on and remember as many as I can. I try to pick out little things about the cars around me. The guy ahead brakes a little early for T4, or takes an unusual line through the final corner. The car behind me seems to be lagging a little, be careful if he gets close to you. I'm constantly looking for these little things and applying them to my current situation in order to maximize it.

Being a fast driver isn't only about minimizing one's own mistakes, it's also about seeing and reacting to the moves of other drivers in order to minimize their impact on one's own race and take advantage of their errors.
Off almost all of the time. Distracting and eats FPS on my old machine.
On public servers I always race with names on, because it never hurts to know your opponents - to be able to predict what they might do helps to avoid accidents. The names could be a little bit smaller though, in some situations they can distract racing.
Never.
I have names turned on and shift + F mapped on my wheel. I turn on the HUD and names only when I want to glance at something so I don't have to race with any information on screen.

I do like to know who I'm racing, normally you can tell who's who just by car colours and behaviour though.
Yeah, within the space of one race I can basically memorize who's who based on skins/car color.
On. But I really wish there was a way to make it simple names only. The characters and crap are detracting from the experience.

Perhaps I could suggest an improvement to have simple names.
Cruising, yes.
Racing, no, and i also use shift+F.
In races I don't use names, when cruising or other i use it. But I'll tick No.
No, I don't use names above cars, because it's distracting. I watch at list of positions when I need to know who I'm fighting with.
Quote from N I K I :No, I don't use names above cars, because it's distracting. I watch at list of positions when I need to know who I'm fighting with.

Same with me. Actually I'm a little surprised at the poll results. I'd have thought more people raced without the names.
Quote from srdsprinter :On. But I really wish there was a way to make it simple names only. The characters and crap are detracting from the experience.

Perhaps I could suggest an improvement to have simple names.

Agreed, I'd like an option to make all names above cars, in the connection list and all text to be mono-chromatic in a colour of choice.
yes, but shift+f most of the time, so I voted no
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Only in multiplayer so I know who to yell at...

me too. There seems to be people in every race that thinks its a 25 car "hotlap" session and not a race.
im sure it was posted before.... btw yes i use them.. if ppl crash me i know who was
No names, no position lists, no anything that shouldn't be there.

I occasionally togle shift-f on briefly to check laps left, then turn it off again.
Quote from The Moose :No names, no position lists, no anything that shouldn't be there.

I occasionally togle shift-f on briefly to check laps left, then turn it off again.

yep, right, and turn the talk function off
Names - On
Chat - On
Names off and shift + f all the time, sometimes I block messages when there are InSims and other craps like this.

Do you use Names Above Cars?
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG