The online racing simulator
F1 returns to the BBC
(92 posts, started )
Yes, but they don't interrupt programmes for them.
this is great news, although ITV have done a great job with the coverage (Imo) no breaks appeals to me alot more.

bbc MUST however:

1.) Keep brundell

2.) Keep the pre race lead up and grid walk.. its nice to get an idea of whats going on

3.) get rid of james allen.

everything else can stay as it is, the rest is great for my liking.
Quote from duke_toaster :
Martin Haven? Ben Edwards?

He's dull and uninteresting, fine for commentating on national motorsport/bumper cars but not really going to keep the general public interested.
Brundle's the only one that is genuinely good at what they're supposed to do. The others are all just pretenders.
Quote from ajp71 :He's dull and uninteresting, fine for commentating on national motorsport/bumper cars but not really going to keep the general public interested.

It could be worse....e.g. Paul Page

/me puts on flamesuit
Quote from mythdat :Get the Top Gear team to commentate, would certainly make races more interesting

+1. They would be totally, utterly, completely useless in it. Thus, hilarious.

Just remember how they ruined that radio show they "hijacked".
I am thinking a petition for the bbc to bring back fleetwood mac should be started

Good news though, the adverts annoy the hell out of me, although do mean toilet breaks if you drink too much while watching the race lol.
Quote from duke_toaster :
It must be a grass is greener thing, what I have seen of SPEED's coverage is actually better than ITV.

How so?

My two main gripes are that SPEED has three commentators, which is too many, and that they have David Hobbs, who sucks.

So I guess just one gripe, really.

David Hobbs is usually completely out-of-touch with what is going on during the race. He can't relate to modern driving at all (only six starts 1967-74), so he's completely worthless in his role as the insight man. Not only does he fill up airtime babbling on about something silly, but SPEED has the resultant poor race analysis. Compare this to Martin Brundle, who often sees things before the director or cameraman does. Brundle's also driven modern cars and so has a much better idea of what its like behind the wheel.

Bob Varsha does a pretty good job, and Steve Matchett is knowledgeable about technical stuff related to the car, so that pair should handle it.

They have a tendency though just to shout "OOOHHHHHHHHH!" into their mikes at the same time when something big happens during the race instead of talking about what is happening. They need to get over that. Dropping Hobbes would at least cut the annoyingness of that by a third though, so its a start.
i bet ITV are gutted now as they only got the rights to stream F1 action on their website from 2008 season and now there is no point really as BBC is taking it over again
Tbh. I don't think Murray could be any better than Allen. They both have this "loud way" of commentating and I think it is the worst way to comment on something on tv.

That's the reason I liked speedTV's F1 commentary on the first race, they don't start shouting contest when something goes wrong on the track. The best part of the speedTV is that they have some fun while doing it too, like the "Honda pants"-comments last time. At times you could even hear the other commentator laughing his ass off and it was just great . The commentaru does not need to be fully serious, some good humour can make it lot better (good humour drom american channel :tilt.

They (speed) manage to keep cool unlike people on our finnish tv broadcasts when the commentators go for breaking the sound barrier as soon as there is somehing on the track. Especially few years ago when the finnish tv had this professional rally co-driver as the main commentator - I just have to take my imaginery hat off and give him a special prize for being involved in motorsports and not learning a single thing about anything in the process. He was godly awful! And he knew how to break that barrier.

Brundle is quite good from what I've seen and heard but that's about all. Allen is abysmal to listen and Murray wasn't much better. Hope BBC make good choises as they probably won't change the commentators during the season...
Quote from Hyperactive :Tbh. I don't think Murray could be any better than Allen. They both have this "loud way" of commentating and I think it is the worst way to comment on something on tv.

That's the reason I liked speedTV's F1 commentary on the first race, they don't start shouting contest when something goes wrong on the track. The best part of the speedTV is that they have some fun while doing it too, like the "Honda pants"-comments last time. At times you could even hear the other commentator laughing his ass off and it was just great . The commentaru does not need to be fully serious, some good humour can make it lot better (good humour drom american channel :tilt.

They (speed) manage to keep cool unlike people on our finnish tv broadcasts when the commentators go for breaking the sound barrier as soon as there is somehing on the track. Especially few years ago when the finnish tv had this professional rally co-driver as the main commentator - I just have to take my imaginery hat off and give him a special prize for being involved in motorsports and not learning a single thing about anything in the process. He was godly awful! And he knew how to break that barrier.

Brundle is quite good from what I've seen and heard but that's about all. Allen is abysmal to listen and Murray wasn't much better. Hope BBC make good choises as they probably won't change the commentators during the season...

Murray is god.
Hmm, just heard on BBC News, showing a newspaper of Richard Hammond saying he could be the 'new' face of F1, could that mean Brundle is out?
Quote from garph :I don't want Murray Walker back, he annouyed me at times as much as Jame Allen does.

Murray is a ruddy legend!
Quote from Xaid0n :Hmm, just heard on BBC News, showing a newspaper of Richard Hammond saying he could be the 'new' face of F1, could that mean Brundle is out?

hopefully it means that brundle will be the brains and hammond the enthusiastic idiot same as it is with itv now except allen's not that enthusiastic
Quote from tinvek :hopefully it means that brundle will be the brains and hammond the enthusiastic idiot same as it is with itv now except allen's not that enthusiastic

Nah Clarkson should take it, him and Murray would be the dream team.
Quote from Mustafur :Nah Clarkson should take it, him and Murray would be the dream team.

ROFL!

Two words: Rick Benjamin

Two more words: Murray Walker
Quote from Hyperactive :Tbh. I don't think Murray could be any better than Allen. They both have this "loud way" of commentating and I think it is the worst way to comment on something on tv.

Murray was a brilliant commentator because he made even the dullest race exciting. The fact half the time he was spurting complete nonsense didn't matter
It wasn't even half the time really.

Anyway, read his autobiography, and you'll understand the man a bit better before saying he was crap.
On March 20th 2008, while being interviewed on BBC Radio 5 Live, Walker was asked if he'd consider a return to the TV commentary box when Formula 1 returns to the BBC in 2009. He answered "Never say never".

Lets hope so!
Quote from Xaid0n :Hmm, just heard on BBC News, showing a newspaper of Richard Hammond saying he could be the 'new' face of F1, could that mean Brundle is out?

Hammond isn't really an F1 fan, he has respect for the skill of the drivers but thats about it.

I'd like to se Ben Edwards get the job I'm not sure if him and Brundle would 'click'.
Stop the cock! Seen this pic on the net kinda funny, do you think Brundle noticed it?

Quote from deggis :http://youtube.com/watch?v=RWF7FVryiL0

after 00:35

That sounds like the man who commentated on the car wars videos, though been soo long since I watched them I could be wrong.

Also Murray Walker back would be excellent. He was a 'shouty' commentator but he has passion and love for F1 and made every race exciting. Also how can anyone forget his murrayisms
#75 - DeKo
Jeremy clarkson and martin brundle doing the commentating, keep louise goodman and ted kravitz, they are actually very good at what they do. clarkson would be absolutely amazing. He properly knows his stuff about F1 aswell.

F1 returns to the BBC
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG