The online racing simulator
iRacing copies CTRA [?]
(41 posts, closed, started )
ROFL!

Yes Chris, with the people we have wearing the tin-foil hats, we certainly should be.
You are Napoleon Bonaparte?
I for one am very proud that FIRST are going to cover public pickup racing. The governing body approach to pick up and play racing, and league racing, is exactly what the sport needed and if the STCC/CTRA model is what inspired them then that in my book is just fantastic and regardless I wish them all the best in their endevour. And a free subscription wouldnt go a miss.
#29 - SamH
I don't think it's modeled on the STCC/CTRA system at all. It's more likely to be an entirely home-grown invention. It's not even ACTUAL pick-up racing in iRacing, as has been covered already in this thread and elsewhere before.

Who knows if they've ever even heard of the CTRA. Darin and Sean from SRT.. sim racers since adolescence.. only just heard of LFS a few months ago. iRacing has been in development for 4 years, and maybe FIRST was one of their earliest concepts, who knows? Race2Play is as old as the STCC concept, if not older. iRacing's launch of some version of a sim racing authority isn't really a win for the CTRA in any way, shape or form.
Quote from SamH :iRacing's launch of some version of a sim racing authority isn't really a win for the CTRA in any way, shape or form.

But they are going to have to work pretty damn hard to do better than LFS & CTRA combined. LFS does need a face lift, it's starting to look, hell it always did look, very dated. But the game play and quality of racing in LFS is second to none. With the CTRA system on top, and that it is free... iRacing is going to have to be rather special. I've registered as i'm sure many here have... so lets see what transpires.
#31 - SamH
For sure, a solid team of CTRA admin volunteers throw hundreds of combined hours a month at the system, working very hard to make sure that the CTRA keeps the standards of racing very high, with the help of drivers in the servers who report problems when they find them.

iRacing's system seems to be computed, rather than marshalled. It also sounds like it only works for promotion, not for relegation. There are some very good reasons for going the computing route.. nobody knows better about sim race marshalling man-hours than the CTRA, believe me.. but it also doesn't take a genius to work out that there is no substitute for a pair of eyes and an admin discussion on an incident.
Sam, when you've finished notching a finger licked number 1 in the air, you might want to look at the title of the FIRST press release

'FIRST to Sanction "Arrive and Drive" Internet Racing', it's covered in the press release too, aswell as their take on the events system.

Whilst it's entirely possible that iRacing havnt looked at the CTRA, its also quite possible that they have. If theyre looking at arrive and drive racing then its a fair bet they've looked at the best that is out there now, which is LFS. So I wouldnt be suprised if CTRA has been checked out.

Even if they havnt seen it, for them to realise the flaws in pickup racing and come up with a licencing model with direct comparisons to the CTRA is still an endorsement of the CTRA model, one which I remember you saying "would never work" and was a "waste of time".

As for whether they come up with a system that works, well I for one am not going to get into a tit for tat comparison of a system that hasnt been released, i'll leave the fanboyism to the fanboys.

/me licks her finger and strikes the air
#33 - SamH
Hmm.. yanno, I'm really bored with this determination you have to be a troll and conflict with me at every opportunity, Becky. Perhaps you'd be better off stopping with the obsession to try and score your stupid fantasy points and go and read the definitions of iRacing's format.

Quote :"We're creating the virtual world's version of 'arrive and drive' racing," said Kaemmer.

Once again, you're taking what you read and transposing on to it what you THINK it means, rather than what it ACTUALLY means.

Arrive and drive is not necessarily pickup racing. It's arrive and drive. FIRST's format is actually as follows:
Quote :FIRST's official Sporting Code for global internet racing will include standards for driver licensing, an annual competition calendar with four 12-week seasons and multiple championships for individual racers and geographically-based clubs.

Not actually, in fact, and in any way, pickup racing in the sense that we regard it. More league, actually. Totally league, in fact.

So please stop this pathetic points crap Becky, it's boring and it's bringing the mood of this subforum down.
EDITED:

If you unban me from your TS i'll come speak to try and sort this out.
:munching_
I did not mean to start a fute with my thread.

I really hate to see the people who influenced a lot of our LFS experiences this much, go at each other.

I know they probably never saw LFS-CTRA. However that being said the sim community is not that big. You have SRT Tv shows with CTRA adds. You have autosimsport magazine (dont think CTRA has been in it, but STCC has and logo of CTRA is on STCC).

But they might have looked at Race 2 Play as well. Just made the post that the philosophy seems to be spreading and hopefully racing will be cleaner on those counts. New is that its developer endorsed which has its good and bad come with it.

Come on Becky and Sam kiss and makeup

Without Becky there never would have been something along these lines (or maybe only much later after F1RST ).
Without Sam and his team it would never have been this popular. It took 2 to tango in this case.
#37 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :EDITED:

If you unban me from your TS i'll come speak to try and sort this out.

Your banned?

WTF this whole thing has gone to far.
It's going to be a messy divorce. It's unfortunate but it always tends to be us kids who suffer the most in trying circumstances like these
Quote from Jakg :Your banned?

Jack:

"You're" not Your.

I thought you were the uber grammar nazi?!
Quote from Jakg :Your banned?

It went too far on day 1 Jack. Sam has twice refused peace gestures so i'll say here what i've been trying to get two words in edgeways to say.

Sam contacted me on MSN and told me he "owned" 90% of the CTRA. He then told me that paid advertising was coming. I responded with a little speach about it being a team thing and that my own contribution was a little more than he was giving me credit for, and he was angry - so I said well keep the lot then. He then accused me of not being a team player and only in it for the money (if which there wasnt any). Then he removed all my access to the server.

This is the big gripe I have with Sam, and I would dearly love to hear what on Earth he was thinking was going on at the time so we can sort out the problem.

The last time I had any discussion with him at all I was when I was in hospital, I had a bit of a moan (not the best strategic move I ever made) then tried to make peace to no avail. His responses where along the lines of, I dont care how much morphine you are on [not that I had used my medication as an excuse] I hate your guts blah blah viscious nasty blah blah.

To this day as far as I am concerned what Sam did was a snatch and grab for the CTRA because he thought money was coming. That's the only conclusion I have in the absense of adult behaviour.

I fully expect this to be deleted by Sam, but at least he will get to hear how I feel before he deletes it and then maybe he can think about giving me the courtesy of an adult response, instead of calling me names, for a change.

I dont expect a reasoned or a polite answer, but i'm sick to death of the confrontational approach our posts have developed. There is a lot of water under the bridge now but i'd be willing to forgive it if I could come to understand just what the hell he was thinking when he put the I in Team and acted like a common thief just for the whiff of a few hundred quid of sponsorship money.

The sad thing is we both agreed all historic and current costs should be covered before anyone got any money, we even had a written agreement on it - just it wasnt signed and because of the STCC stuff it could be disregarded as not relevent I guess, but I thought the whole thing about money was if it happened great, it'll cover costs, and then we can divvy some out.

He said I was generous when I suggested 30% of final profit should be his. I guess generousity wasnt enough.

EDIT:
I was to get 50% I think, and the rest was headed elsewhere. Thats what all agreed to anyway.

And the silly thing is the CTRA still has no actual sponsorship either, which just makes it all rather pathetic.
#41 - SamH
I'm not going to delete it, I'm going to lock the thread for posterity.

The entire email and MSN correspondence is available to UKCT community members on the UKCT forum, and if they want to read it and see how Becky is twisting the truth, they can do so there. It's relevent to UKCT members since it's supposedly about me claiming ownership of 90% of the CTRA for myself. It's not relevent to anyone else, since financing the CTRA and the UKCT hardware that supports it is not of concern to anyone outside of UKCT or CTRA.

This is why I don't want to talk to you, Becky. You can't be trusted not to lie about what is said afterwards.

Now I'm asking nicely again, stop trolling and disrupting this forum.
This thread is closed

iRacing copies CTRA [?]
(41 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG