The online racing simulator
iRacing copies CTRA [?]
(41 posts, closed, started )
iRacing copies CTRA [?]
#3 - SamH
There's a fundamental difference between FIRST and CTRA, though.. can anyone spot it?
People drive in CTRA?
#5 - SamH
Apart from that..
CTRA is free
#7 - SamH
Is FIRST apart from the actual game? You have to buy the game AND on top of that buy your way in FIRST?
That sucks :S
Well they are handling more of the event side of things and the day-to-day racing is not really covered.
#10 - SamH
Quote from evilpimp :Is FIRST apart from the actual game? You have to buy the game AND on top of that buy your way in FIRST?
That sucks :S

FIRST is the governing body for iRacing, and even if it doesn't cost extra on top of the iRacing fee, you're still looking at between $13 and $17/month to participate. I think it's just a way to separate the governing body that hands out sanctions from the creators of the sim. In LFS, individual servers, and groups like CTRA and individual league organizers do that. LFS itself very rarely gets involved, unless someone triggers the in-built "holy sh*t, you get banned from servers a lot!" email-warning/month-ban system.

I think it's a good move on the part of iRacing, to separate out the two. However, at the end of the day anyone who is relegated or banned by FIRST is potentially going to cancel their subscription to iRacing.. so there's inevitably got to be some concern about who pulls the strings at FIRST, and will the sanctioning body's priority be revenue or sporting conduct.

At the very least, I would imagine that FIRST will hesitate to sanction a driver and risk losing a subscription unless the subscriptions of others in the same series look like they're in jeopardy. That's not actually the best basis for deciding whether or not to sanction a driver.. the sanction should be independent, impartial, and entirely based on the individual's merits.

Just thinking out loud.. hope yous all don't mind
They spelled F1RST wrong too
Really? Lemme check.....
oh yeah, lets hope they fix that before someone finds out, og wait.
@Sam : :P I don't mind you think out loud. Good reasoning too. I agree that they probably will be afraid to lose subscriptions due to the fact that they are banned from there.

Meh, I still find that price way too high for a racing simulator. Honestly, the only reason I would buy it is if it's as realistic as real life = never. :P
#15 - SamH
Nope, it's also free if you DON'T buy the game
Quote from StableX :CTRA is only free if you already bought the game......!

But then why would you want to use CTRA WITHOUT having LFS?
Quote from SamH :Nope, it's also free if you DON'T buy the game

Do I smell 'Win a License' style demo competitions ?

:inq:
#18 - SamH
hehe! Noooo.. I just mean that CTRA is entirely free, and will always be free. We're committed to bringing as much to simracing as we can, and will never screw the punters over to line our pockets. That's not to say that we'll never look for sponsorship from above to start a new CTRA hardware server with even more bandwidth available, give out T-shirts to winners like yourself.. whatever is left over after service costs, we'll feed back into sim racing somehow. That's always been our philosophy, and it won't change
So caring Sam..

Quote from Christopher Raemisch :But then why would you want to use CTRA WITHOUT having LFS?

why would you want to use FIRST without their racing game...... same difference muppet!
Why do you have Sam's avatar? lol
Was wondering the same thing O_O

Maybe hes tryin to view each frame to find out what the secret message is?
promote CTRA of course and their new version 2. You should all do it and use it on different forums too!
Think the main issue and difference is the link with the developers. CTRA is not tied (although Sam and Scawen might be neighbours, dunno).
<pops head above parapet>

Quote from SamH :We're committed

I think we should be.

<ducks down again>
This thread is closed

iRacing copies CTRA [?]
(41 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG