The online racing simulator
Vertical Synchronisation
(15 posts, started )
Vertical Synchronisation
Okay so now that I got a decent GFX I can enable vertical sync. What should I do:

Enable both in LFS and in Nvidia panel
Enable in the Nvidia panel and disable in LFS
Enable in LFS and 'Let application decide' in Nvidia panel

What sounds the best?
Why do you want to enable it at all? All it does is limit your fps to 60 (or whatever your refresh rate is).
because somehow if you have a LCD screen having all that off will knock your screen out of sync
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Why do you want to enable it at all? All it does is limit your fps to 60 (or whatever your refresh rate is).

Limits, you say? Interesting

scoobyrbac: It's the same thing on CRT.

Riders Motion: "Enable in LFS and 'Let application decide' in Nvidia panel" would be my choice - simply because it's easier to turn on/off in LFS (or any other game) than having to bring up Nvidia control panel etc.
You should enable it to stop the "tearing effect" which you get on LCD monitors when you dont use vsync. 60fps is fast enough (hopefuly LCD's will get quicker so we can have 80)

Best bet is to setup a profile in Nvidia control panel so that you can have AA & AF as is it not an in game option.

Select & assign to LFS.exe:
4x AA
4x AF
Vsync On

Run LFS at the highest res poss on your monitor with these settings & it will look great.
I run LFS with those at 1280x1024:

8x AA
16x AF
Vsync On

And my game looks pretty good. I get minimum 120FPS on all tracks without Vsync, so when I enable it I get a solid 85FPS (CTR Monitor -.-) all the time.
#7 - VoiD
Quote from Riders Motion :I run LFS with those at 1280x1024:

8x AA
16x AF
Vsync On

And my game looks pretty good.

Same here with X1950pro.

Quote from Riders Motion :I get minimum 120FPS on all tracks without Vsync, so when I enable it I get a solid 85FPS (CTR Monitor -.-) all the time.

Fps capped at 71 fps by LFS, I´m on Samsung 931BF (70Hz possible)... But its "rock-solid" on ~70 fps.
#8 - DeKo
near enough the same, LCD at 75, halfs to about 37/38 at the race starts.
I have a quick question that's related, and don't wanna start a new thread. I tried using the Nvidia control panel to enable AA and it doesn't do anything, and I think I've read on here somewhere that other people have had the same issue, and some have had to enable AA for all games to get it to work. Any idea's? I certainly don't want it on all games, would kill my performance in Quake Wars and Crysis.
#11 - Jakg
169.xx drivers have this bug, newer (and older) versions don't.
In games, especially fast-paced ones, I prefer seeing part of a frame over not seeing the frame at all (frame skipping as a result of v-sync).
Quote from Forbin :I prefer seeing part of a frame over not seeing the frame at all (frame skipping as a result of v-sync).

That's not a result of v-sync, but because of you having a slow PC
If we assume your refresh rate is 60Hz, your framerate is 90fps, and v-sync is off, the screen will display the top two-thirds of the first frame, and then the bottom third of the second frame. On the next refresh cycle, the top one-third of the second frame is displayed, and then the bottom two-thirds of the third frame. Rinse and repeat. You get up-to-date visual information through partial frames. Even though it may not look great at times, your brain can still process the information quite easily. The higher the refresh rate, the better it looks (not possible on current LCD's).

If we assume the above situation but with v-sync on, it's the same thing as sampling a 90Hz signal at 60Hz. There's a delay between what you see and what is actually happening. In this example, that delay is as much as two-thirds of a frame and it happens every 3 frames. The constant variance of the delay can be a bit jarring, too.

So yes, you're right, you only get actual skipping with v-sync if your framerate is below your refresh rate.
So, seing that I get 100+ FPS on every track (except Autocross), it's kinda useless for me to use Vsync isn't it?

What's better for me to use if I want a steady FPS, should I use Vsync or just set a FPS limit? Over 60FPS is all good for me so I guess I could set it so to get 60 solid FPS...

Vertical Synchronisation
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG