The online racing simulator
Test Patch Y13 - East Asian Support
(119 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :Well... you are using the default mip bias settings. That definitely can make the effect of AF much less noticeable. Because the very negative default mip settings are trying to solve the blurring problem in the old way, without using AF.

To test if AF is working, it's best to move the mip bias sliders up to zero. Then without AF you will see a lot of blurring on the ground, not very far in front of you. AF 2x, 4x, 8x should reduce this road blurring further and further into the distance.

Was my fault. I have had already a profile on the Nvidia CP. Couldn't remember this since it's already a bit older

Sorry again...

Regards

Jonas
Quote from detail :...I used AF through nVidia settings before, but now when it works natively, graphics looks MUUUUCH smoother.

Yes. Thats why we are praying for built in AA.
OK this is behavious is starting to become really confusing.
Right now AF works with the LFS settings, but if i start with 16x enabeled i get bilinear filtering pushed back a little to the af distance. If i change the setting to anything lower the mip levels move closer to the camera but stay bilinear. At 1x is suddenly turns to trilinear filtered mip levels and goging higher moves the levels away a little (as intended) but they stay trilinear.
Goning back to none and then switching to anything higher than 1x keeps the mip levels bilinear but applies AF by pushing the mip levels away
Quote from ksa_land :Hi,

I have a Nvidia card too, and it seems it doesn't work.

AF doesn't work.
ASUS 6600GT eXtreme, 128MB.
I'm using an older driver (see attachment)
Will try a new driver maybe today evening or tomorrow.

[...]

I think I have to correct myself. I testet it again and ... AF works!
Sorry for the misinformation.
Does it's normal that the AF don't have any effect on the car?
Hmm,wasnt there a thing,that Nvidia drivers of the newest generaton have problems with AA/AF?
When I became my XFX 8600GTS 512mb,there worked all fine,but suddenly not.
Ive readed a bit in Internet,that the newest N-v drivers have problems..

Ah,AF wont work.
Quote from CobraDrifter :Does it's normal that the AF don't have any effect on the car?

Yes, because the maps are all so close to you, that it doesn't need to apply any filtering to them to make distant maps look smoother.
I've got the AF settings in game to work now, it seems that the nvidia control panel has a mind of its own
It is supossed to have global settings which are application controlled, user difined or auto set by preference to quality/performance. These settings don't seem to work. I have to set it to user difined and setup a profile for LFS to get it to function properly. Once I've done that snd specifically enforce each setting then its fine. Me thinks the nvidia drivers a pretty crappy.
It's definitly not a problem with the nvidia control panel.

The AF setting in LFS just doesn't work even when the nvidia control panel is set to application controlled, for both global and specific LFS game profiles
Forcing AF from the nvidia control panel works fine.

In the first picture attached 16x AF is selected in LFS, but it just doesn't have any effect (all mip bias are set to 0 in LFS). As you can see the AF is definitly set to application controlled in the Nvidia control panel. I don't have problems with the control panel in any other game.

The second picture shows 16x AF forced from the Nvidia control panel, how it should look.
Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
Don´t get me wrong, but what´s all the mess about ingame AF settings? I can´t see any differences between AF forced by the driver or set ingame.
Quote from NikLaw :Don´t get me wrong, but what´s all the mess about ingame AF settings? I can´t see any differences between AF forced by the driver or set ingame.

It is nice to have individual options within the game. Messing about with different settings in the control panel while alt-tabbing to test performance is something I try and avoid personally.

Just had a test myself, and seems to be working fine.

512Mb g92 8800 GTS (7.15.0011.6925)
Vista x64

Heres the comparison shot (the road texture is the most noticeable improvement)
http://xs225.xs.to/xs225/08110/lfs_compare_af105.jpg

If you think it could be OS related, I have a backup install of x86 XP which I will try in a bit
Ive Updated to newest beta drivers,169,44
works now very fine.
Another thing i discovered on my PC (again: everything works fine!)

2 EventIDs when i play LFS...

EventID 9010:
A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (LFS.exe).

EventID 9013:
The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application.

I don't know if this is related to the new testpatch, but it makes no difference in performance or overall behavior of my PC.

Why is LFS trying to disable the DWM?
Quote from word. :It's definitly not a problem with the nvidia control panel.

The AF setting in LFS just doesn't work even when the nvidia control panel is set to application controlled, for both global and specific LFS game profiles
Forcing AF from the nvidia control panel works fine.

In the first picture attached 16x AF is selected in LFS, but it just doesn't have any effect (all mip bias are set to 0 in LFS). As you can see the AF is definitly set to application controlled in the Nvidia control panel. I don't have problems with the control panel in any other game.

The second picture shows 16x AF forced from the Nvidia control panel, how it should look.

Try it with Test Driver's method: Don't use "Global setting" in the profile, but "force" the application-controlled AF in LfS' profile... Does it still use no AF then?
Not for me, at least.
Quote from screama :Why is LFS trying to disable the DWM?

No idea. I have never even heard of the desktop window manager.

I have not done such a thing intentionally. Sometimes LFS is "blamed" for these things but actually it could be a DLL started by LFS (e.g. d3d8.dll). Can you get any more information about the origin of the message?
Something strange going on with my nVidia drivers/control panel (who ya gonna call?).

It's an 8800GT with Forceware 169.21. Individual game profiles have never worked for me - if I choose "use the advanced 3D image settings" and create/modify profiles for games, it gets completely ignored. The same happened with my old GeForce 5900 and a much older Forceware.

So anyway, I set it back to "let the 3D application decide" which works fine for games that have their own AA/AF settings (which is to say, most of them except LFS).

I've just tried the test patch and found that AA and AF were still most definitely on! I had a profile set for LFS forcing AA and AF, which was obviously still being used even though I'd told it to globally allow the application to take control.

So now with AA and AF definitely application-controlled at a driver level, LFS' AF control doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. There's a subtle change in the foliage when switching AF between "off" and 16× (no AF seems to draw more/denser foliage) but absolutely no discernable difference in tarmac textures, white lines or barriers receding into the distance, etc.
Did you move the mip bias sliders up to zero? You won't see much if any effect of AF on the road if the mip sliders are at their default settings.

Zero mip bias allows the maximum amount of blurring that AF's purpose is to correct.
- Does AF work in LFS? (meaning, texture filtering 2x, 4x, 8x is different (better) than none or 1x) YES
- What graphics card? XFX GeForce 8600 XXX (GeForce 8600GT Chipset)
- What driver version? Driver Date: 09.01.2008; Driver Version: 7.15.11.6932 <-- last 4 numbers = Nvidia Driver base version
Quote from Scawen :Did you move the mip bias sliders up to zero? You won't see much if any effect of AF on the road if the mip sliders are at their default settings.

Zero mip bias allows the maximum amount of blurring that AF's purpose is to correct.

Sorry, yes, I forgot to mention that I'd moved all the mip bias sliders to 0.
Quote from Scawen :No idea. I have never even heard of the desktop window manager.

I have not done such a thing intentionally. Sometimes LFS is "blamed" for these things but actually it could be a DLL started by LFS (e.g. d3d8.dll). Can you get any more information about the origin of the message?

Scawen, I don't think it's your fault. The DWM.exe process in Vista is responsible for all the fun Aero effects, and when a 3D application starts (even non-fullscreen ones, such as 3dsMax), it throws itself back into Basic mode until all offending processes are ended, where it then restarts itself into Aero.
A little aside, the only reason I DON'T use Aero is because when Alt+tabbing to and fro in LFS, it takes about 3X longer than without it. No FPS difference, but it's just annoying.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Scawen, I don't think it's your fault. The DWM.exe process in Vista is responsible for all the fun Aero effects, and when a 3D application starts (even non-fullscreen ones, such as 3dsMax), it throws itself back into Basic mode until all offending processes are ended, where it then restarts itself into Aero.
A little aside, the only reason I DON'T use Aero is because when Alt+tabbing to and fro in LFS, it takes about 3X longer than without it. No FPS difference, but it's just annoying.

LFS is the only "offending" process on my PC
Quote from STROBE :if I choose "use the advanced 3D image settings" and create/modify profiles for games, it gets completely ignored.

Forcing AA from the control panel is broken in all drivers after 169.13 and before 171.xx. This is common knowledge on guru3d forums.
That's why I'm using 174.20
- Does AF work in LFS? (meaning, texture filtering 2x, 4x, 8x is different (better) than none or 1x) --> Yes
- What graphics card? --> Xpertvision 7600GT/AGP
- What driver version? --> WinXP WHQL Forceware 94.24
Quote :
Added support for anisotropic filtering in Game Options

I like that ! THX Scawen!
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y13 - East Asian Support
(119 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG