The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
Ready To Order New System - Any Recommendations
Right, the CPU I'm after should be coming out soon so I'm ready to order the components for my new PC. This will be my first new PC in about 4 years and I'm looking to make a really nice system that's centred around multimedia and programming but will also deliver very good gaming performance. My budget is reasonable and I'm willing to spend a little more than below for any serious improvements. Please have a look and point out any mistakes I've made (compatibility/sizing issues, for example) or any recommendation for different components (with a reason for the recommendation please...).

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
Motherboard: Asus P5K-E
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair PC2-8500 Dominator
Video Card: ASUS EN8800GTX
OS Drives: 2X74GB Western Digital Raptor (RAID0)
Storage Drive: Hitachi 7K1000 (currently in a USB2.0 external enclosure for this machine)
PSU: Corsair HX620W
DVD-RW Drive: Lite-On DH-20A1S-18C
Case: Antec P182
OS: Vista 32bit Home Premium (decided to go with 32 bit instead of 64 on the advice of a friend, I realise this means I won't be able to use all of the potential RAM).
Keyboard: Labtec Ultraflat
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse
Monitor: BenQ FP241W (bought at Christmas).

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
#2 - Jakg
IMO the GTX isn't worth it over the GTS (or GT's in SLi), although i'd wait for the 9xxx series of cards.
Quote from Jakg :IMO the GTX isn't worth it over the GTS (or GT's in SLi), although i'd wait for the 9xxx series of cards.

The 9800GTX benchmarks are starting to emerge and its very dissapointing. Level scores with an 8800 GTS 512. I think at this point if you can get an 8800GTX for a low enough price then its worth it until maybe the 10 series cards.

However, I would reccoment an 8800GT for now. Even thought I said the benchmarks are dissapointing for the 9 series, they've got the new GT200 core nearing release. You can get an 8800GT for £160 nowadays, which will serve very well until the next gen cards.

If you want the power now and don't want to be upgrading in the future, you could couple an Nvidia 780i SLI motherboard with 2x 8800GT or 2x 8800GTS'. Depends on what you want to do and your money limitations.

9800GTX Benchmark image
#4 - Jakg
8800GTX vs 8800GTS
8800GTX is hotter (makes 177w of heat)
8800GTX is only a tiny tiny tiny bit faster than a GTS
8800GTS is quiter
8800GTS uses less power
8800GTX has a bit more memory (might be handy for a 30")
8800GTS isn't so freaking massive.

TBH if i had "free reign" on my hardware i'd be looking at ditching my 8800GTX for either an 8800GT (and make £70 as an 8800GTX sells for £230 used) with the option to buy another one (and a *bleurg* SLi mobo or a new card) OR get a 3870x2 (thats two 3870's on one PCB)
#5 - amp88
I've been waiting on the release of the Penryn quads to buy this, so I'm looking to get it in the very near future. I don't plan on upgrading for a while so I reckon if I get the GTX now it'll last for a long time (year or two at least), then I can upgrade it to whatever's available at that time. It's not that much more than 8800GT or 8800GTS anyway, only 40 or 50 quid.
Never buy a PC to have it for a few years.

I'dget an E8x00, E8400 for example. And i'd wait out for P45 boards (should be soon, Abit will have some nice boards). And i'd get an 8800 GTS since you have a 24'' LCD.
#7 - Jakg
It's up to you but theres no tangible difference between the two cards - the GTS beats a GTX in some cases, and in most it's a tiny bit behind.

Also - Why get the Asus 8800GTX? The 8800GTX'es are all the same - i'd get this one instead - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... p;catid=56&subcat=877

Of course if i were spending that much i'd also look at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139633 OR http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141838 if you want lots of vRAM

But then the 3870x2 would probably still be the best choice - faster than an 8800GTX, less power draw, 4-card crossfire with a proper (X38/x48) motherboard and better image quality http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139888

EDIT - I'm bored. Gimme a budget, and some constraints (ie must have xxx and you already have xxx) and let me think of something.
#8 - amp88
Quote from Jakg :EDIT - I'm bored. Gimme a budget, and some constraints (ie must have xxx and you already have xxx) and let me think of something.

Ceiling of £1500 but preferably £1250 or so. No real constraints.
Already have monitor and 1TB hard drive. Thanks
#9 - Jakg
How much is that Q9550 thingy gonna set you back?
Quote from Jakg :How much is that Q9550 thingy gonna set you back?

Not much change from £400.
#11 - Jakg
I'm left handed, so all these crazy mice with 14 buttons on the left hand side just make me randomly navigate forward and backward in Firefox while turning the volume up and down when I'm trying to click a link. I have to use one at work but it's almost bearable because it only has the backward and forward ones. I had a good Microsoft Intellimouse a while ago and it's a really well-suited mouse for left-handed people. On the keyboard, my current desk has a serious limitation on the size of the keyboard so I can't really use anything much bigger. I'm not a fan of ergonomic keyboards or crazily fancy ones anyway, so the Labtec one fits really well.

Thanks for trying anyway, I'll need to see if I want to get the GTS or GTX. I'll be running everything at 1920x1200, will the difference between the two be more apparent/worthwhile there?
#13 - Jakg
No love for the 3870x2?
Jakg the problem is it's still CF. A single die card will work better in all the games no matter what. How does LFS scale with CF? And what games do you play amp, besides LFS obviously?

It's your thing what to do, but i'd REALLY go with a Core 2 Duo. ATM i'm still on a single core (Celeron 420) and i don't see any good reasons why to go with 4. Unless you render (3D or movie) a lot, then you'd get a speed burst from 2 mroe cores. And G92 any time over G80 i think. The vRAM doesn't add that much to be worthwhile. And 1 gig GTs are actually slower than 512s i think.
Quote from Jakg :
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126433

might be worth it.

I'd also get a decent Keyboard / Mouse - You'll spend all your time useing them so it makes sense not to cheap out!

I suggest getting a basic Microsoft keyboard and mouse. They're available in black or white and are by far the best keyboards and mice that I've ever used, assuming you don't need half a dozen buttons stuck on your mouse. If you need more than one mouse/keyboard the OEM packs on ebuyer look seriously good value as well.

I've got some of these, they're a smaller and lighter mouse, which I find are also far better to use with a laptop than those silly little things. I've also got one of these, mine is prehistoric, I'd have thought I bought it in about 2000 and it's on its third computer now, still works perfectly. The second one is slightly larger and heavier and I think it might be shaped for the right hand (not sure about that). The first one is definitely suitable for both.
Quote from Jakg :No love for the 3870x2?

I hadn't really considered ATI video cards to be honest, but I'll have a look.

@ajp: I had the white version of the first mouse for years before it broke on me. It's probably the best mouse I've ever used. Think I might get another one of those instead of the one I had above.
hi amp ma breadbin, id maybe go for the bfg 8800gts 190 quid and rapid. or maybe wait for the 9 series gx2's?
Quote from andybarsblade :or maybe wait for the 9 series gx2's?

Have been with nvidia fanboy for along time but if i had to choose i would go with 2 3850x2 because the price of the 9800gx2 is just 2 much for the performance they are putting out.
Right, after reading a couple of reviews on the 3870X2 I've decided to go with that. I've ordered the components so the vast majority (everything except the CPU and RAM) should be here on Tuesday with the CPU and RAM coming along when they get stock. Thanks for the advice guys, now I just need to wait and salivate
i'd get the 3870 ATI card instead of that 8800GTX
You should know that the 3870x2 is very limited in terms of it's actual capability because of the onboard crossfire bus. Using the latest drivers (catalyst 8.3) many people are reporting that crossfire cannot be enabled for some reason. This is a bug and will be fixed eventually, but it could be a recurring issue over time with that particular board. I'd still get a single-gpu solution to avoid such issues.
Got most of the components in over the last couple of days but still waiting on the CPU and RAM. I've fitted most of the components in and I've got to say this case is really easy to work in. A couple of points: I hadn't thought about needing a floppy to configure the RAID for the OS and the graphics card really is huge - it obscures 4 of the SATA ports, but I should be able to use L shaped cables to get round that - they should be here tomorrow. Something I hadn't really picked up on before but that's really quite cool is the way the hard drives are mounted. Rather than screwing them directly in and having them touching metal there are little rubber bushings/standoffs that go between the cage and the drive - good idea. According to overclockers.co.uk the CPU should be here "by the end of the month" so now I'm just sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting.
Quote from amp88 :Got most of the components in over the last couple of days but still waiting on the CPU and RAM. I've fitted most of the components in and I've got to say this case is really easy to work in. A couple of points: I hadn't thought about needing a floppy to configure the RAID for the OS and the graphics card really is huge - it obscures 4 of the SATA ports, but I should be able to use L shaped cables to get round that - they should be here tomorrow. Something I hadn't really picked up on before but that's really quite cool is the way the hard drives are mounted. Rather than screwing them directly in and having them touching metal there are little rubber bushings/standoffs that go between the cage and the drive - good idea. According to overclockers.co.uk the CPU should be here "by the end of the month" so now I'm just sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting.

I hadn't read your specs yet when I read this post and I was like, "Hmmmm... rubber standoffs for the hard drives... sounds like a P180!" That's a great case to work with. Just be careful and keep it away from your feet. I used to repeatedly knock the door open with my shoe as I got up from my desk, but was too lazy to move it. One day I ran out of my room for something and my foot caught the door and snapped the bottom hinge.

And I had the same issue as you did when configuring MY RAID. I had to go to the local computer store and buy a floppy drive just for that purpose because I didn't have one and neither did anyone else in my dorm. Annoying.
I'll be keeping it up on a cabinet/sideboard here in the computer room - well away from the feet!

Here are a few pics if anyone's interested. Sorry for the quality, proper camera is in a huff with me so I had to use my phone instead.
Attached images
DSC00093.JPG
DSC00092.JPG
DSC00094.JPG
DSC00096.JPG
IMO, EVGA would be a better MB & GPU combo.

Have the same case though, you wont be disappointed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG