The online racing simulator
Best value graphics cards?
(39 posts, started )
What about the 8800GT?
Where I live it's the best price/quality.

I have one and it runs smoothly on a 380W power supply (although it's not recommended).

Forget about the 9600, (or in any case forget it if you'd live here) because it's near as expensive as an 8800GT (10-20 quid difference (I got one for around 105 quid)).

But hey! I don't know anything about the pricing there and what you have to spend etc..
The cables are fine, nothing seems to be overheating, I can't smell anything. I know the graphics card is not overheating either, as when it did boot into windows the last time, the temps were fine.
OK I have tried the card in another decent PC, and it's definately fubar. It didn't even send any signal to the monitor before the fan went into turbocharged mode.

If I send it back will they know if I tried to overclock it?
No they won't, if you don't tell them
#30 - Jakg
Quote from DaveWS :If I send it back will they know if I tried to overclock it?

Never been proven either way, but i don't know anyone who's been caught unless the voltmodded it or something
#31 - robt
#32 - Jakg
*laughs*

You can pick up an 8600GT for less than £45 delivered. What makes it £90? 1 GB of RAM?! totally useless on a card like that i'm afraid...
#33 - robt
link? guesing its a 512mb model (hopefully)
#34 - Jakg
the link you posted is also DDR2 ram. the stats of both cards are exactly the same. only the memory is different. dadge's is 1gb @ £90 and yours is 512mb @ £45. so it's not as laughable as you may think. i would go for dadges because of means that i wouldn't have to upgrade for a longer time than if i were to buy the one you linked to.
#36 - Jakg
Oh cock - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... p;catid=56&subcat=912 - DDR3, but 256 MB.

You do know that 512 MB is a bit of a waste on an 8600GT, don't you? A higher resolution needs more memory, but with an "average" monitor (ie a 22" Widescreen), you wont be able to use all 512 MB of RAM - going for a 1 GB card will make NO difference in performance.

If 1 GB made it so futureproof why does nVidia's fastest card, the 8800 Ultra, have "only" 768 MB of RAM?

Memory doesn't mean that much - it's designed to sucker in the "bigger is better" crowd (which i used to be a part of). You cannot compare GFX cards on raw specs.
i said nothing about future-proofing. i did say that i would need an upgrade sooner with your card.
but with that new card you're basically saying that 256mb of ddr3 is better than 1gb of ddr2? fair enough it is half the price but it has 75% less ram. and ddr3 ram is not 75% quicker than ddr2. and if your playing the new games your going to need more than 256mb m8. i thought you would of known that. for you to have that card (yours) at 1gb it will cost you about £180. this would mean that dadges card is better for the money. and to say that you can't compare cards on raw specs is just bs m8.
what would you rather have 1gb of ddr2 ram or 256mb of ddr3? also having ddr3 memory on a card that is only 128bit is like having a diesel porsche 911.
#38 - Jakg
Before i didn't properly look at the card specs, i just grabbed the cheapest DDR3 one I could find - tbh spending £80 on an 8600GT is lunacy, as you can get a GTS for £80, or an 8800GS for £90...

I'd go for the 256 MB option myself, provided getting a 24" monitor wasn't on my to-do list.

Looking around for less than £60 your options are either DDR3/256 MB or 512 MB/DDR2. I'd pick the faster speed over the lower memory UNLESS i had a 22" monitor or larger.
and for an extra £30 you can double your ddr2 up to 1gb. but seriously dude. dadges card is better for the money. it would be cheaper too if ocuk didn't rip the knickers out of p&p. to have a 256mb card running more than a 22" screen at full resolutions (1680x1050 or more) is right on the max performance. i have a 7600GS 512 running arma @ 1680x1050 and it rocks at full settings. dadge on the other hand has a 7600GT 256 and running the exact same settings, his pc struggles at times. i would go for the 1gb because i believe that it is much better to have too much than it is to not have enough.
fair enough your cards ram speed is more than double but as i said befor if the card is only 128bit than ddr3 for that card is overkill. the playstation 1 is 128bit. dadge's is also 128 bit but the memory speed is much better for that bitrate.

Best value graphics cards?
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG