The online racing simulator
"LFS" PC Specs
(47 posts, started )
"LFS" PC Specs
I wanna know the specs of the PC of the devs.. like Eric, where i think all the Textures and Graphics are at full, and are tested.
If its not private of course
Well, thats all .
Thanks
You can get full graphics with an old PC just to tell you.LFS is not a game like Crysis where you need a PC that is not even released yet to play it full graphics without any lag.
Quote from CobraDrifter :You can get full graphics with an old PC just to tell you.LFS is not a game like Crysis where you need a PC that is not even released yet to play it full graphics without any lag.

AMEN!!!!
I think he want's to know the spec's of the Dev's PC's.
I doubt we'll ever know anything about Eric, as he never visits this forum.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I doubt we'll ever know anything about Eric, as he never visits this forum.

Yup, And we all know why..
Quote from mcgas001 :Yup, And we all know why..

obviously to avoid you mcgas .

thats my spam post for today
Quote from franky500 :obviously to avoid you mcgas .

thats my spam post for today

, I thought it was for other reasons, Like the harrasment....
When you say all...I don't
Nah, Eric is just a quiet guy. He's got a life, and I'm sure developing LFS is enough for him, I think theres many things he'd much rather do then browse the LFS forums if he ever got free time I can't imagine the dev's having '1337' computers. It doesn't take much to run LFS, and it doesn't take a whole lot more to run it full-out.
~Bryan~
Well, Don does all/most of the screenshots for releases etc, which leads me to believe that the Devs PC's aren't l33t.
I don't imagine it's too amazing, but it's probably pretty nice. I do remember seeing a picture of one of the dev's systems. Tri-monitor(bulky monitors) with some pretty average frame rates if i remember correctly. So it may be pretty basic.
Scawen said he sold off his triple monitor display to save room, so that would imply he's back down to a single monitor. At one point he had a Matrox graphics card (for the three outputs), no idea if he's upgraded since then or not.

Also it's not true that Eric never visits the forum... he just never posts.
#15 - Jakg
IIRC he has a Dell 24"er
Quote from Bob Smith :Scawen said he sold off his triple monitor display to save room, so that would imply he's back down to a single monitor.

Well, I didn't really sell it off, the Matrox Parhelia died so I installed a Radeon 9800 Pro that ATI had sent me some time before. To give me a good view I then bought a very nice Dell 27" 1920x1200 widescreen LCD which works well with the card. Then after failing to sell for a fiver or even give away my 3 matching 21" CRT monitors and 2 old 17" monitors all in perfect condition, I had to load them in the car and drive down to the dump! It was a bit sad I must say, unloading good clean stuff at the dump, but that's how it is, no-one wants heavy old monitors that take up space - and I didn't have the space either.

Quote from Bob Smith :At one point he had a Matrox graphics card (for the three outputs), no idea if he's upgraded since then or not.

Still using the Radeon on my 2GHz Intel PC. It chugs a bit when there are too many cars on screen but runs smoothly most of the time. Just gradually I'm starting to want a better computer. I like the way Moore's law has stopped being true, it used to be silly that your computer was obsolete almost immediately after you bought it. Eventually I'll upgrade of course but it seems sensible to wait while what I've got does the job and the best time to upgrade would be when I start on a new 3D engine... if I can wait that long. Decisions to be made about whether to get Vista as well so I'm sort of waiting to see what happens with that. Anyway regarding LFS there's one more important optimisation that needs doing and will make things faster for everyone, namely that the subobjects like steering wheels need to be drawn as hardware meshes. Right now the subobjects are slowing things down because they are being sent vertex by vertex, triangle by triangle every frame. This method should only really needed for flexible objects like humans and tyres.

Quote from Bob Smith :Also it's not true that Eric never visits the forum... he just never posts.

True. Eric does read the forums and appreciates the feedback. He just doesn't want to get drawn into conversations which could contain a lot of "when will this be done" and "what are the plans for this and that". His situation is not the same as mine where I really need very thorough and interactive testing done for any of my updates.
#17 - Jakg
Well Scawen if you ever want an LFS'er to price you up a build then feel free to drop me a PM :P
Quote from Jakg :Well Scawen if you ever want an LFS'er to price you up a build then feel free to drop me a PM :P

:ices_rofl
#19 - robt
Quote from Scawen : Then after failing to sell for a fiver or even give away my 3 matching 21" CRT monitors and 2 old 17" monitors all in perfect condition, I had to load them in the car and drive down to the dump!

:weeping: if only i had known! im stuck on an ancient 15" CRT (might even be 13" no ruler nearby) so, if you got any more.......:rolleyes:
i have one of the crysis pcs wich can do all in full

my pc specs for first run lfs was a amd 4000+ @ 2,4 GHz, 1,25 GB ram and the good ol' radeon x800 xt.

lfs ran good on full details and 4x AA @70 to 90 fps...

so this configuration is like the optimum for full graphics experience (thanks scawen that you are not one of the developers who thinks that buying a new game should be part of buying a new pc )

my pc specs now:

intel core 2 duo e6750 @ 2,66 GHz, 2 GB ram, 2x geforce 9600 GT

lfs runs really fine with the unofficial highres textures @ 150 to 200 fps
Quote from Scawen :
Snip...

Nice to get a little insight there of what may be happening to LFS in the future.....

Andrew
Quote from Scawen : Decisions to be made about whether to get Vista as well so I'm sort of waiting to see what happens with that.

Don't know if it's relevant but LFS runs perfectly on my PC running Vista Home Premium, (admittedly it's a 2.4Ghz Core2 with 8600GT and 2Gb of memory).

You probably know that already but hey !
Quote from gezmoor :Don't know if it's relevant but LFS runs perfectly on my PC running Vista Home Premium, (admittedly it's a 2.4Ghz Core2 with 8600GT and 2Gb of memory).

You probably know that already but hey !

or he should get one pc with Vista and the one he has with Xp..
or he dualboots vista and xp on one computer, i run vista ultimate and never had any problems with it, quite like it actually
Quote from Scawen : Then after failing to sell for a fiver or even give away my 3 matching 21" CRT monitors and 2 old 17" monitors all in perfect condition, I had to load them in the car and drive down to the dump!

I would have bought one. Shipping certainly wouldn't be cheap though.

The high refresh rates of CRTs are great for LFS.

Quote from HRT SHAUN : or he dualboots vista and xp on one computer, i run vista ultimate and never had any problems with it, quite like it actually

me too
-
(spurri) DELETED by Bob Smith : no need for all this here :)
-
(neRu) DELETED by Bob Smith : no need for all this here :)
-
(shiny_red_cobra) DELETED by Bob Smith : no need for all this here :)

"LFS" PC Specs
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG