The online racing simulator
Motivation suggestions
(84 posts, started )
AFAIK new cockpits were officially announced only for Y patch. All those before were community speculation etc.

Could be wrong but I think I'm not
#52 - aoun
Correct, but i think it was officially announced that the new interiors would be released next patch. Correct me if im wrong.
That's true. Eric didn't finished them for Y becouse FBM deal came out of nowhere so to speak. Scawen said cockipts will be released ASAP

Guess they will come when Scawen figures out Vista bug with multi bite characters or something in those lines (this is community speculation for those who can't spot one )
Quote from BlackEye :Guess they will come when Scawen figures out Vista bug with multi bite characters or something in those lines (this is community speculation for those who can't spot one )

Most unlikely, it would make that patch incompatible, thus he'll be waiting for other incompatible changes to be released with the cockpits...
Quote from BlackEye :That's true. Eric didn't finished them for Y becouse FBM deal came out of nowhere so to speak. Scawen said cockipts will be released ASAP

Guess they will come when Scawen figures out Vista bug with multi bite characters or something in those lines (this is community speculation for those who can't spot one )

Vista bugs. I have vista and LFS runs perfect
Quote from Luke.S :Vista bugs. I have vista and LFS runs perfect

Good for you, read more carefully and you'll see that there is a bug with some language codes, not Vista in general..
Okii.
Quote from bbman :Most unlikely, it would make that patch incompatible, thus he'll be waiting for other incompatible changes to be released with the cockpits...

Well yes, but hotlaps don't need to be reseted for cockpits to be included (I guess) so it's not big of a issue to be a incompatible patch.
Quote from BlackEye :Well yes, but hotlaps don't need to be reseted for cockpits to be included (I guess) so it's not big of a issue to be a incompatible patch.

I sure hope so, but i think that it's been said that HL's are dependant on the cokcpits unfortunately
Get a mountain bike! It's as close as I can get to motor racing for such a small budget and bloody good fun. Then there's the sudden influx of fresh air and fitness to get used to.

Oh yeah and set up is important - tyres, brakes, gears etc all make a different and you spend your time managing the transfer of your weight, same as cars really

As an aside: does anybody know whether there are basic set up servers, e.g. force everyone to use RACE_S? I don't have the time to tinker with set ups and am not that keen on nicking them from others. As it is I tend to race in the midfield trying to be consistent, but never particularly racing with anybody.
Quote from danowat :You might be right with the burnout thing, maybe thats why I prefer sitting in my lounge, on my comfy leather recliners playing Forza on my 40" HD TV.........

Rather than sitting in my study on my PC..........

Dan, the same thing has been happening to me for the past year or so - other tasks are becoming far more fulfilling.

Sim-racing for me has grown tiresome, and I (as you do, too, it seems) just enjoy some casual gaming, or sitting around doing nothing, chilling, watching a movie, doing some code, or something like that.

Take the time, relax, forget about LFS for a while - until you have the passion return. It's the approach I always take to 'game burnout'. But I find, the longer you keep pushing yourself, the longer the 'recovery' period lasts.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I sure hope so, but i think that it's been said that HL's are dependant on the cokcpits unfortunately

I never understood why people are so over the moon about new cockpits. Isn't it just a graphical update of the interior of the cars? There are plenty of user-made nice ones already.. am I missing something?

Anyway, I think driving weird combos, learning cars you never liked (RAC seems to be commonly mentioned) or having a go at drifting might be a good idea.
Too much of the same thing is not good for anyone , and LFS has been too much of the same thing for far to long.

Especially when it comes to tracks,that's tracks not a new combo but an actual new location .

It could do with the vapor ware rally pack or a completely new class of car .

I appreciate the way the Devs work and the small (really small) staff and i understand why it takes so long to produce new content ,but you can only play with the same toys for so long before anyone is bored to death with them.

That said playing LFS with the new Tweak is alot of fun, RB4 3300 6cyl @550hp certainly makes it come alive
My motivation lies all in league racing - to win something, or at least do my best. Fun of racing has gone long time ago. But (yes, has been written xxxx times ago) because lack of content, it has become very boring and hard to even motivate myself to doubleclick LFS.exe.
Right now i'm doing team management for Czech rep. in World Series. That will keep me close to LFS until this league is finished (at least i hope so). But if something BIG will not come, then i'm thinking about break.
Quote from OmarA :Get a mountain bike! It's as close as I can get to motor racing for such a small budget and bloody good fun. Then there's the sudden influx of fresh air and fitness to get used to.

Oh yeah and set up is important - tyres, brakes, gears etc all make a different and you spend your time managing the transfer of your weight, same as cars really

As an aside: does anybody know whether there are basic set up servers, e.g. force everyone to use RACE_S? I don't have the time to tinker with set ups and am not that keen on nicking them from others. As it is I tend to race in the midfield trying to be consistent, but never particularly racing with anybody.

I don't need a mountain bike, I have a fooking great motorbike , plus running keeps me as fit as I need to

As for the forced server setups, yes, this would be one of the options that would keep LFS fresh for me, but small things like that get ignored for the sake of stuff like asian character sets, go figure.......
Quote from danowat :

As for the forced server setups, yes, this would be one of the options that would keep LFS fresh for me, ...

Not a fan of this idea. Setups have two reasons for existing (IMHO...): to make the car more predictable and comfortable for an individual's driving style; to shave tenths off your lap times. They're not going to turn you from a mid-fielder into a leader.

But as I say, that's just my opinion. From past debates, its obvious there are a lot of people who disagree, so why not 'organise'. Password a server (so that you can rely on each other to use the required set and not worry about interlopers who don't get the idea), and run a series.

Why wait for it to be 'forced', especially if its the one thing that might liven up the racing for you?
Because currently, you just can't easily do it, private server or not.
I don't like the idea of fully forced setups either, but when a few basic tweaks would be allowed (basicly all you can change in f11/f12) it could be very cool to have a few races.

About the motivation thing: when you have too much time you get bored a lot more often... I would really like to drive more but just have not the time
Quote from three_jump :I don't like the idea of fully forced setups either, but when a few basic tweaks would be allowed (basicly all you can change in f11/f12) it could be very cool to have a few races.

About the motivation thing: when you have too much time you get bored a lot more often... I would really like to drive more but just have not the time

Sorry for going off topic, but why don`t you like that forced setups thingy? It`s a great idea to have everyone racing the same set, it proves what the driver is capeable to compared with the others.
Quote from danowat :Because currently, you just can't easily do it, private server or not.

You mean it isn't just a case of getting some like minded people together and agreeing on a setup, agreeing on a race time, and racing?

I can't see how its more complicated than that.

That's basically what happened for the LFS gathering at Drivers Challenge. All it requires is an organiser (cheers Ben...), and I know how much time it can take up (having organised a ten week season of challenges in Racer), but its a simple exercise.
Quote from danowat :I was toying with the idea of going clutch/h-gate only for a while and relish the challenge, rather than "trying" to win all the time, nice idea.

Quote from AndroidXP :Does that mean you were not using clutch/H-gate all the time?

Quote from danowat :It indeed does mean that, I am lazy

That sounds like a pretty good answer to some of the issues?

I know it is more of a regurgetation of the game as compared to anything new, but it's a pretty difficult learning to be fast and consistent with a 'full' set up to work with.

I am certainly neither of these things, but am enjoying the challenge massively (until my h-shifter breaks, no doubt!) despite not always being competitive at the front end of the grid.

Good luck in your quest anyway

ps - seems to be quite a few people agreeing with your sentiments, who don't have that many miles under their belt. I struggle to see how anyone with less than 50k miles could be close to burnt out!
Quote from The Very End :Sorry for going off topic, but why don`t you like that forced setups thingy? It`s a great idea to have everyone racing the same set, it proves what the driver is capeable to compared with the others.

In my opinion it just shows that drivers have different driving styles so some can handle it better than others. Use a different set and others will be faster (On the basis of having equal drivers, might not work with alien drivers). It's just the luck of getting a set that suits your driving style.

Truth is that there is no perfect setup for one track, you can only try to do the perfect setup for yourself.
Most have already said that.
Don’t think about it. If you are bored take a brake.
A good motivation may be the progress of your team, some league races etc.
Till the end of 2007 my connection was useless and I couldnl't race online not even in 10car grids... my only motivation to continue playing was setup making for my teammates...

I know I will play LFS as long it exists. So I am not worried if I stop playing for a month or so. (which I do regularly)
Its live for speed not loose your real life for speed.
Quote from danowat :
Or do I just bite the bullet a have a few months break from LFs to see if the motivation comes back on its own?

I say step away, and step away completely. Including not visiting the form. Don't set yourself a time frame for "coming back", but instead pick it up again whenever it happens to interest you.

I get these fits of jadedness all the time. "I'm so damn sick of thinking about cars", and then I move onto something else like airplanes or digital arts or whatever. Gotta take breaks.
Quote from danowat :I'll make no bones about it, for various reasons I am struggling to find the motivation to "play" LFS, now I don't know if this is just a "jaded" cycle that will go away, or it's something thats running deeper, but I want to see if I can get out of the rut.

So basically, I am asking for ways that I can get "back" into LFS, because apart from a handfull of league races here and there, I haven't "played" it with any real conviction for a long time.

Or do I just bite the bullet a have a few months break from LFs to see if the motivation comes back on its own?

I guess it's just the time involved, and it's probably different things for different people. I just can't be bothered anymore, I've been driving the sim with the "most potential" for a long time and very little of that potential is being realized. But thankfully every dialect of every language ever invented since human speech first occurred can share that experience! I will warn you though the longer the break you take, the less you'll be motived to come back because you will transform into teh suck.

Quote from JeffR :I wonder if wow attendance is also starting to taper off by now.

No, they've passed 10 million active subscribers a couple months ago. Of course, it is a lot more of a dyanmic experience than driving a circuit, has massive content that's constantly updated, and has a budget of millions so it's not too surprizing.

Quote from thisnameistaken :I'd be happy to help out. What are friends for, eh?

Canadian?

Motivation suggestions
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG