The online racing simulator
ALMS/LMS/Le Mans 2008
(227 posts, started )
Quote from Primoz :THe most aerodynamcal shape is a waterdrop. .

LOL... Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that... What I mean is that the cockpits don't seem to dovetail smoothly into the main part of the body; there's a very sharp angle between the screen and the bonnet..

Oh, hell... no graphics software... will draw out my inquiry later...
I know what you mean. It's got to do with air pressure management. Some things may look like they create a lot of drag, and in this case it probably does, but there is some other benefit to it. I'm obviously no aerodynamicist, but there is a method to this madness. If you recall the original 908 concept, it has a very swept back cockpit; that changed radically for the actual race car as per the windtunnel testing.

[EDIT] actually, just spit balling here, but it might be to have more air go around the greenhouse than over it. If the air goes over it, it has to go further and thus, moves faster. Faster moving air = less pressure. This lower pressure will create some positive lift; obviously not something you want on a race car. If air can be diverted around the sides you don't generate this lift. While the lift created solely by the air going over a cockpit probably won't make the car take off in flight, it will reduce the overall amount of negative lift (downforce) on the car. I recall reading (I think on Mulsanne's corner) that this ideology was applied to the Lister LMP's (second one) front fenders.

I could be way off base here, like I said I'm not an aerodynamicist, but it's one school of thought.
Quote from Tweaker :Probably my favorite design of them all so far.

looks like Peugeot copy
anyone know if there will be any videos up from the LMS testing for today and tomorrow?
Videos? Don't know but some pics you can find from here:

http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp

No pics from the track yet...

Also sneaky pics from the new Lola, with Aston Martin engineers in the garage, as expected.
have you seen the burnt out spyker? i bet that costs alot of money to fix

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gROstzIpWRg

First video of the Lola I've seen. No doubt which car is going to be the best sounding (and looking, from the protos) this year.
Mmmmmmmm, Vantage GT2. But the Lola sounds awesome. Almost like a jet. Dunno about it looking the best, but it's not bad. bentley Speed 8 still wins though.
Quote from Primoz :bentley Speed 8 still wins though.

Got to say that I always thought the speed 8 looked a bit like a tank... If we're talking aesthetics then the all time numero uno for me was the 787B. A small car with a sleek and flowing profile, from head to toe. The rear aerofoil, even though it was stuck on pylons, floats gracefully behind the car... That it screamed like a fox rutting through the night was just an added bonus.
Well, group C cars are totaly different.
Quote from deggis :http://youtube.com/watch?v=gROstzIpWRg

First video of the Lola I've seen. No doubt which car is going to be the best sounding (and looking, from the protos) this year.

What!? How can you say that? The Epsilon is sooo much hotter looking than the Lola! I really, _really_ like the Epsilon. That front end and greenhouse... gorgeous. Better than the Speed 8 IMHO.
Quote from deggis :Maggot originally started this thread with the WR new cars news, so good continuation to that: ...

Another LMP1 car confirmed for Sebring (two cars in the team in fact); V10 diesel engine and part of the bodywork made out of hemp (apparently).
Quote from MAGGOT :What!? How can you say that? The Epsilon is sooo much hotter looking than the Lola! I really, _really_ like the Epsilon. That front end and greenhouse... gorgeous. Better than the Speed 8 IMHO.

Dunno, it looks so UFO, a bit like 908 Lola has smoothest curves. I could dream that the Lola is close (without that single-seater nose) to what ACO might be thinking about 2010-->

New videos from the Paul Ricard testing:

http://www.endurance-info.com/ ... .php?sid=5072&thold=0
That Lola nose looks like a penis on a table.
Quote from deggis :Dunno, it looks so UFO, a bit like 908 Lola has smoothest curves. I could dream that the Lola is close (without that single-seater nose) to what ACO might be thinking about 2010-->

That's funny, I see the Epsilon as having smoother curves, and a much much better flow. The Lola, similarly to the Pug, has a flat and abrupt windscreen. The Epsilon has that beautiful swept back windscreen.

Quote from Primoz :That Lola nose looks like a penis on a table.

ROFL

ALMS/LMS/Le Mans 2008
(227 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG