The online racing simulator
#1 - SamH
*** WARNING *** Removing other drivers from the grid
We have had our first instance of a driver being *CAUGHT* removing other drivers from the grid on a CTRA server end screen, and we have issued our first mid-term ban for that offence accordingly.

This is just a heads-up for anyone who has historically got away with doing this.. a mid-term ban for removing other players from the grid is the mandatory MINIMUM admin response. For repeat offenders, or for drivers who already have a history of poor behaviour on CTRA servers, the mid-term ban may be extended or may be accompanied by severe points penalties. In worst-cases, we may even consider permanently revoking licences.

The practice of removing players from the grid to force a fast race start has historically destroyed the first race after a track change on EVERY occasion, and we have and always will regard it as deliberate and malicious wrecking.

[edit] PLEASE NOTE: There is no longer a need to report this behaviour. We now have a mechanism in place to bring ALL instances to admins' attention. The system is now tested and fully working, and as of today is issuing mandatory administrative reports and bans.

***HOW TO REPORT***
Minimum requirement: LFS Y11+
Unfortunately the End Race screen is not recorded in replays. This means that, for the moment, you will need to take a screenshot. Unfortunately LFS also does not record screenshots (Ctrl+S) at Race End screen, so you will need to either press Alt+PrtScrn or, if you run FRAPS, record a screenshot in there. Send the screenshot, or a link to a screenshot, to any CTRA admin.

Once we have upgraded CTRA servers to Y11 (probably tonight, when CTRA servers are at their quietest), simply raise a report for the *previous* race and the admins will track back through the server's debug log to find the evidence needed to support the ban.

Naturally, we are delighted that we'll be able to finally catch and properly deal with the people who are responsible for destroying so many races over time!
Is this what happens when you click "Join race" then "ready" right away? Or does it just happen when you click "join race"?

btw Race1 tonight was great :P
This is what happens when someone else clicks the '-' sign next to your name in the End Race Screen starting list to remove you from the race before it has started.

Excellent to hear we've finally got a way to stop this, Sam!

I know it's been a big pet hate of yours over the times, and you're definitely not the only one. I'm glad that the people doing this will finally be thrust into the public domain, so much so that I'm going to catch hold of the latest patch I can find right now

Sam
I've always felt that the problem is in the system. This is a game control mechanic with a fundamental issue in the way that LFS controls this aspect, an issue that has arrisen because of the way the track changes and how the X-System makes use of the track change functionality.

I dont see it as the drivers fault, I see it as a flaw in the system.

Controlling how people race is one thing, controlling how they use the use interface of a piece of software is another.

LFS allows players to remove people from the grid to stop griefing, by allowing you to remove afk players. Now on CTRA we swap one means of griefing for another...

The solution has always been to implement a practice period as the new session starts. Just nobody ever got around to including support for that. It could be a 1 minute thing, or a 5 minute thing with $grid results, either is fine.

Finding more ways to ban people, that isnt so fine. That's just throwing a paddy fit.
Quote from Dark Elite :This is what happens when someone else clicks the '-' sign next to your name in the End Race Screen starting list to remove you from the race before it has started.

That really sucks that people do that
So what's the legitimate purpose of this function?
Getting rid of AI or AFK drivers.
Quote from Becky Rose :
I dont see it as the drivers fault, I see it as a flaw in the system.

How could it not be their fault? It isn't like most people are accidentally pressing the - button in order to remove others from the race. They're doing so intentionally and maliciously. Yes the fact that LFS allows such practices at all is a huge flaw and should be addressed ASAP, but in the meantime anyone who so blatantly ruins the races of other drivers should be punished in any way possible.
So could the devs maybe introduce a few seconds delay to removal with a pop-up warning message appearing on screen.

This would allow non AFK drivers time to respond and cancel the removal?

Just a thought.
Quote from March Hare :Getting rid of AI or AFK drivers.

The X-system kicks people who add AI's. I do however think that the few mins of practice should be a priority to add, just to give people time to get ready.
Becky, do you think that players who remove people from the starting grid to get higher places or to get a race started five seconds quicker deserve to be in the server? It is entirely the players' fault. The fact that it is the software that makes this situation a possibility isn't really relevant. The respective manufacturers knew it would be possible for me to use my target rifle to shoot people, or my car to run people over, but that doesn't mean I'd be absolved from blame if I did so.

Just my thoughts; it seems you're being rather too protective of the people who are responsible for selfish or malicious starting list removals.

Sam
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The X-system kicks people who add AI's.

And?

Even though the CTRA is amazingly professional (in shorter terms: teh siht!!1!) the - sign next to a drivers name on the start screen is a part of LfS not the X-system. And it's function is to remove AI drivers and AFK drivers from the grid.

The short practise session before the first race gets my vote. Maybe it should be long enough that you could do a few laps.
March... Be patient...
No I wont.
So it isn't possible to simply add a timer to the before-the-race screen? Like a simple countdown of 20 seconds after which the race starts automatically? The X-system could automatically enter every racer and then at the start of the next race spectate those who hadn't voted to enter into the race?

(can the race-enter screen happenings be controlled through insim?)

I think it is a bit annoying when someone goes to fetch coffee/burger/shower after the race and the whole grid has to wait him back.
Ive seen people removing everyone else from the list, and even when clicking join again, to be immediately removed again is unacceptable.

Yes its a flaw in LFS or the system but...
I dont think the ban is too "over the top" I would be happy with a life ban for some of these selfish idiots.

This action also shows the CTRA as a good example of not tollerating cheaters of any kind.

Good move Sam.

SD.
#17 - VoiD
Quote from SparkyDave :...I dont think the ban is too "over the top" I would be happy with a life ban for some of these selfish idiots....

I second that.

Sam, lets Y12 it!
#18 - SamH
I have a fully working build of the X-System that runs a practice session for 30 seconds after a track change and then sets the correct number of laps and restarts the race. However at the moment, it creates NEW problems when the software is relaunched while a race is in progress. I have in mind a solution to resolve that but it requires some significant coding and a lot of testing before we could go live with it.

All the while, I'm mindful of the fact that I'm simply coding to prevent a miniscule number of malicious <cough> from removing people from the grid who, by doing so, have no right to carry a CTRA licence at all anyway. Unless you HAVE one of those <cough> in the server, a track change is always a civilised event. Everyone has time to get a set for the new track, and the server moves along just as it should.

I prefer to get the code to the appropriate standard and go from there. This particular aspect of the code is less of a priority for me - Dustin and I were testing last night, but I'm not busting my gut to resolve this bit right now. Honestly? I'd like to catch some of the people who've been doing this stealthy bit of wrecking/cheating, in the meantime
Quote from SamH :I have a fully working build of the X-System that runs a practice session for 30 seconds after a track change and then sets the correct number of laps and restarts the race. However at the moment, it creates NEW problems when the software is relaunched while a race is in progress. I have in mind a solution to resolve that but it requires some significant coding and a lot of testing before we could go live with it.

All the while, I'm mindful of the fact that I'm simply coding to prevent a miniscule number of malicious <cough> from removing people from the grid who, by doing so, have no right to carry a CTRA licence at all anyway. Unless you HAVE one of those <cough> in the server, a track change is always a civilised event. Everyone has time to get a set for the new track, and the server moves along just as it should.

I prefer to get the code to the appropriate standard and go from there. This particular aspect of the code is less of a priority for me - Dustin and I were testing last night, but I'm not busting my gut to resolve this bit right now. Honestly? I'd like to catch some of the people who've been doing this stealthy bit of wrecking/cheating, in the meantime

Use the requid's
#20 - SamH
Quick update.. we no longer need you to file reports. The system now identifies abusers of the starting grid and brings them directly to the attention of CTRA admins.

If you NEED to remove someone from the grid because they are holding up a restart, you need to give them plenty of notice before doing so. We will review logs in such instances and look for lots of textual evidence to show that you've asked a driver to get ready within a reasonable amount of time, and they've failed to do so.
I think it shouldnt notify an admin if its a repeat offender, Just instantly ban. Unless of course it already does that
#22 - SamH
Nahh, at the moment it just floats the information to the top, in batch fashion, for us to fire off the reports. We'll keep an eye on it for a while at least, to make sure it doesn't goof
Ooohh, Okies
Mentioning rule changes in a clear way would be great You either have to browse the forums or read the Rules page of the CTRA website daily to not get a ban at this moment.

Maybe it's an idea to put a message when entering the server that a rule change has been added or something?

It would be great to be notified of rule changes... It prevents people from getting banned for unknown new rules. Or isn't that an option? I do like this new rule none the less!
Quote from Mardaneus :Mentioning rule changes in a clear way would be great You either have to browse the forums or read the Rules page of the CTRA website daily to not get a ban at this moment.

Maybe it's an idea to put a message when entering the server that a rule change has been added or something?

It would be great to be notified of rule changes... It prevents people from getting banned for unknown new rules. Or isn't that an option? I do like this new rule none the less!

We will have a look at different possibilities with X2 hopefully =)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG