The online racing simulator
Race etiquete on S2
(36 posts, started )
Quote from gezmoor :a) I'm not the best driver around, by my own admission. I make my fair share of mistakes I wouldn't want to ruin a good race on a server where everyone is taking it seriously, (not saying that I wouldn't be, but it's worse if you do and someone inexperienced ruins your race).

Drive "sensibly" and not on your limit to start with and it'll be okay.

Quote from gezmoor :b) Despite looking at the CTRA site, I still have no idea how you go about getting a license.

Quote from CTRA website :In order to access the MYCTRA area of this website, you must first have created a password while in one of the CTRA servers. If you have not yet done so, enter a CTRA server, press T and type $password.

http://www.raceauthority.com/login.asp

And there are instructions also at:

http://www.raceauthority.com/help.asp
Quote from xaotik :Drive "sensibly" and not on your limit to start with and it'll be okay.

Yeah, that'll be the answer. I admit I do have a tendency to go "too hard too fast"

Quote :
http://www.raceauthority.com/login.asp

And there are instructions also at:

http://www.raceauthority.com/help.asp

Thanks. I did actually see that bit about setting up a password whilst connected to CTRA 1, I just assumed that there was something else that had to happen first.
#28 - SamH
Quote from gezmoor :Thanks. I did actually see that bit about setting up a password whilst connected to CTRA 1, I just assumed that there was something else that had to happen first.

You just need to connect to either CTRA Race 1 or CTRA Single Seater 1, or Bump & Jump (the three entry servers) and agree to abide by (and read) the rules. Once you've done that, you have a licence. Type $myctra or $password and you'll be able to set a password for accessing the website.
Quote from Pantera70 :For example a couple of nights ago on CTRA 1 a certain driver who was infact very fast, spent most of the night taking people out and them "ffs" ing them for getting in his way.... Fast, But poor driving

Yes, this kind of thing is very frustrating. For me, it's not frustrating because it happens, but because, while it's deemed worth commenting or complaining about here, it's apparently not deemed worthy of a report to the admins of the server, either via $rep in the server or via the New Report page of the CTRA website. It's frustrating for me because, here, in this thread, it's hear-say. With a report, it's proven. Here it's just whinging, but with a report it would actually be addressed and fixed.

It seems to me that 95% of the problem with race etiquette on S2 is that apathy is rife and poor etiquette is tolerated, or is someone else's problem/someone else will probably deal with it.
#29 - Osco
Quote from Mille Sabords :Dead Men Racing is an interesting place!
Go try it for a change

They run a combo (more or less random, so you can have FZR on AS historic 1 week and XFG chicane route the following week) for 1 week.
Usually 10 lap races with pitstop, and qualifications.
They welcome you on the server with friendly messages,
congratulate you for a new PeeBee!,
say sorry when they think they should,
congratulate you for a pass instead of ramming you at the next turn,
are so polite that I remained stuck after an accident - nobody would start first, messages like "after you" "no you go"... flying

They are even so polite that they let visitors win

I 2nd that, DMR are some very nice people
See the thing is the people who play LFS are the same people you meet out on the street. The majority of them are inconsiderate selfish bastards who don't even see you, let alone care if you're there.
If you've never tried it, push a trolley round a supermarket one evening and tell me again you're shocked this kind of thing happens in LFS

That's the bad part about pickup races in general. Unless they're really strictly moderated, idiots run wild. Reporting systems can only do so much, because you still have to put up with the morons for that session.

I like to think I'm a pretty clean racer. Slow, but clean. If it was up to me I'd spend all of my LFS time racing against the folks on this forum because it sounds like they're in the same boat and I could actually learn something from them.
#31 - SamH
Quote from Dajmin :you still have to put up with the morons for that session.

Actually, we've upped our game a little on that score too. $admin messages get immediate attention (see attached). Granted, the only person to use it so far got a mid-term ban for time wasting and sending a torrent of abuse to the admins via the $admin messaging system, but it's there!..
Attached images
CAN.gif
Quote from SamH :With a report, it's proven. Here it's just whinging, but with a report it would actually be addressed and fixed.

I made one report that had this kind of behaviour. I reported on braking blueflag rule, but you can clearly see the idiotic-elitistic-I-am-best-of-the-best driving style by someone.
U guys gave him a slap on the wrist.
I have the replay, but it says "Replay obsolete".
#33 - SamH
I don't wanna turn this thread into a "CTRA again" thread.. a lot of fast drivers (arguably almost all) genuinely have no idea when they suck at race etiquette. We try to point out the errors of their ways first. If they still won't sort it out, they'll get removed for a while and ultimately if they still can't play nicely with others, we'll have no choice but to remove them permanently. We try the softly-softly approach first though, unless it's blatantly malicious.
Quote from SamH :I don't wanna turn this thread into a "CTRA again" thread.. a lot of fast drivers (arguably almost all) genuinely have no idea when they suck at race etiquette. We try to point out the errors of their ways first. If they still won't sort it out, they'll get removed for a while and ultimately if they still can't play nicely with others, we'll have no choice but to remove them permanently. We try the softly-softly approach first though, unless it's blatantly malicious.

Which is a fair enough attitude to take to be honest. I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to incidents, but it's when they blatently throw it back in your face that it really winds me up.

Anyway, I've got a CTRA license now, (hopefully it should show in my sig ). So I'll see how that goes.
Might also try out the CD servers (when the admins are online). As I don't have much time for LFS I focused myself a bit on CD 1 server which hosts GTR class at AS3. Once you get a bit competitive I had some really great races there, perfect if you only have 1h a week time for LFS.
Quote from SamH :Actually, we've upped our game a little on that score too. $admin messages get immediate attention (see attached). Granted, the only person to use it so far got a mid-term ban for time wasting and sending a torrent of abuse to the admins via the $admin messaging system, but it's there!..

It's also a good tool for discussing other shenanigans that us fun UKCT guys get into. Damn that Sam, always getting into fun complex problems, and then me needing to bale him out with the complex humour of a Canadian teenager.

Race etiquete on S2
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG