The online racing simulator
Race etiquete on S2
(36 posts, started )
Race etiquete on S2
I'm begining to get disilusioned with the attitude of some drivers on the S2 servers. There seems to be pretty much the same ignorance of the meaning of racing etiquete and most people still drive like they would a PS3 etc. ie I'm fast and im going to stick to my line no matter what, (irrespective of if it causes a crash with a slower less experienced driver), and everyone should just damn well get out of my way.

Anyone else get this feeling?

I sometimes think I might as well have not bothered paying for an S2 and just stuck with the demo
... and then you'll join a server like "Dead Men Racing" (for example) and see the light.

It really does fluctuate - you might land in a server with 14 y/os with the biggest, most colourful key-bound messages being spammed across your screen and FPS-mentality or you might join a relaxed, friendly racing haven that's got less twitch and more style.
Quote from xaotik :... and then you'll join a server like "Dead Men Racing" (for example) and see the light.

#4 - Woz
CTRA servers keep track of all drivers and allow reporting of blatent rules breaking which leads to permie bans. They are woprth a look
You must be going on some crappy servers then, have you ever played online with the XBOX 360 on Forza 2 their driving stinks, i got rammed purposely and went mental on my mic and they couldn't figure out why, LFS has made me into a clean racer in every game i go on.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :You must be going on some crappy servers then, have you ever played online with the XBOX 360 on Forza 2 their driving stinks, i got rammed purposely and went mental on my mic and they couldn't figure out why, LFS has made me into a clean racer in every game i go on.

Lolz I watched a TV cast sponsored by Microsoft of Forza 2 and they did the whole pre-show with the Microsoft rep saying how it was a serious simulation and the racing was all gentlemanly and sporting. Then I watched half a dozen races of blatant wrecking...
Quote from Woz :CTRA servers keep track of all drivers and allow reporting of blatent rules breaking which leads to permie bans. They are woprth a look

And I hand them out like... ... ... a whore hands out sex?
Quote from Becky Rose :Lolz I watched a TV cast sponsored by Microsoft of Forza 2 and they did the whole pre-show with the Microsoft rep saying how it was a serious simulation and the racing was all gentlemanly and sporting. Then I watched half a dozen races of blatant wrecking...

haha

I don't think the general non sim-racing public (the 'casual gamers' if you will) see it as wrecking though, do they?

EDIT: @Dustin: So you're admitting you have whoreish tendancies?
I never denied them.
Quote from gezmoor :I'm begining to get disilusioned with the attitude of some drivers on the S2 servers. There seems to be pretty much the same ignorance of the meaning of racing etiquete and most people still drive like they would a PS3 etc. ie I'm fast and im going to stick to my line no matter what, (irrespective of if it causes a crash with a slower less experienced driver), and everyone should just damn well get out of my way.

I sometimes think I might as well have not bothered paying for an S2 and just stuck with the demo

Life is full of aholes, same with lfs. The cream always rises to the top, you just need some more experience in how to race round these problems and take it with a pinch of salt when some fool takes you out
#11 - Woz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :And I hand them out like... ... ... a whore hands out sex?

Nope, they review the data and if it is a blatent wreck people get warned or banned. I thing there are a few hundred people now with complete bans from the CTRA system.

That said you have to be willing to miss a race to file a report so people only report when the wrecker deserves it

CTRA & ProRacingRoom have been the best servers for clean races I have found.
confirmed - I am a fresh ctra user and had several races at twisty SouthCity Town Course Rev and there were no rams on purpose even in such demanding hairpin.

So I think it is working well.
Clearly it doesn't work well because they let me administrate...

Also, if they let me release the proper stats, I could even say exactly how many bans there are...
Dustin, will you ever be quiet?? oh and can you fix my connection?
#15 - SamH
I think Dustin's still giddy that the CTRA admins asked him to join the team Hafta say he makes a very good and fair admin and we're very proud of him so far
Awwwwww! :lovies:
Atleast I'm more productive than John!
#18 - xtm
You must have been racing on the wrong server. If I was you, i wouldn't regret getting banned from there. Try CTRA Race 1. Sure, from time to time someone will bump into you, or not pay attention to blue flag, no one will ever do that on purpose. It's a pleasure compared to many other servers, only surpassed by the amazing racing atmosphere on CTRA Race 2&3
Dead Men Racing is an interesting place!
Go try it for a change

They run a combo (more or less random, so you can have FZR on AS historic 1 week and XFG chicane route the following week) for 1 week.
Usually 10 lap races with pitstop, and qualifications.
They welcome you on the server with friendly messages,
congratulate you for a new PeeBee!,
say sorry when they think they should,
congratulate you for a pass instead of ramming you at the next turn,
are so polite that I remained stuck after an accident - nobody would start first, messages like "after you" "no you go"... flying

They are even so polite that they let visitors win
Since I rarely play LFS, I get out of the way or join the race just after the start, then work my way up past the slower or crashed players, still managing an occasional win when the fast guys have mishaps. It's more relaxing for me this way, and I'm there more the fun of it, since I don't put in the time or effort it takes to become an expert racer, especially after I did put some serious time in to GPL, improving over time to get within 5% to 7% of the world record times, but still obviously slower than the truly fast players.
I think some drivers believe being fast makes you a good driver. Yes a fast driver can win a lot, but someone who can work there way through the field without the need to take everyone else out impresses me more than someone constantly setting the fastest lap.

For example a couple of nights ago on CTRA 1 a certain driver who was infact very fast, spent most of the night taking people out and them "ffs" ing them for getting in his way.... Fast, But poor driving

On the same night I had another driver behind me. He was clearly faster than me, but he didn't get silly and we had an amazingly fun race. (Yes he did pass me about a lap from the end).... Fast and excellent driving.....

In my opinion it takes more skill to have close racing without contact than it does to set fast lap times.....
Quote from gezmoor :

I had very little online laps just because of that, until I found a good team server. I went there pretty often, and was asked to join the team. Since that I've been learning lots of combos and have been able to concentrate on performing better. You need home (team) to feel like home.
Quote from gezmoor :I'm begining to get disilusioned with the attitude of some drivers on the S2 servers. There seems to be pretty much the same ignorance of the meaning of racing etiquete and most people still drive like they would a PS3 etc. ie I'm fast and im going to stick to my line no matter what, (irrespective of if it causes a crash with a slower less experienced driver), and everyone should just damn well get out of my way.

come on ws.c and take a cruise
Quote from Pantera70 :I think some drivers believe being fast makes you a good driver. Yes a fast driver can win a lot, but someone who can work there way through the field without the need to take everyone else out impresses me more than someone constantly setting the fastest lap.

For example a couple of nights ago on CTRA 1 a certain driver who was infact very fast, spent most of the night taking people out and them "ffs" ing them for getting in his way.... Fast, But poor driving

That's exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about. So many people think that its purely about being fast and setting the fastest lap time. They really don't get the whole ethos of racing. Sure it's about winning but it's about winning without causing others to crash and accepting that you can be held up by a slower driver is just part of racing.

Quote :
On the same night I had another driver behind me. He was clearly faster than me, but he didn't get silly and we had an amazingly fun race. (Yes he did pass me about a lap from the end).... Fast and excellent driving.....

In my opinion it takes more skill to have close racing without contact than it does to set fast lap times.....

Amen to that.
Quote from Woz :CTRA servers keep track of all drivers and allow reporting of blatent rules breaking which leads to permie bans. They are woprth a look

I've been thinking about this actually, but two things are holding me back at the moment.

a) I'm not the best driver around, by my own admission. I make my fair share of mistakes I wouldn't want to ruin a good race on a server where everyone is taking it seriously, (not saying that I wouldn't be, but it's worse if you do and someone inexperienced ruins your race).

b) Despite looking at the CTRA site, I still have no idea how you go about getting a license.

Race etiquete on S2
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG